The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8579 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 239, 240, 241, 242, 243, 244, 245 ... 429  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Cinematic Motion Picture News Thread
PostPosted: Tue October 02, 2018 9:28 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

I have never watched a Rambo movie

PostPosted: Tue October 02, 2018 9:31 pm 
Production Police

theplatypus wrote:

First Blood (the original) still holds up really well. It's a relatively quiet movie about a Vietnam vet trying to stay out of trouble in a small Oregon town; it's nothing like the subsequent flicks and totally worth watching.

Parts 2 and 3 were steroid action movies that were genre-appropriate for their time, but I think have aged horribly.

Rambo (part 4) was absolutely nuts and is worth watching just to see what happens when Sly Stallone gets a big production budget and doesn't give a shit about political correctness.

PostPosted: Tue October 02, 2018 9:50 pm 
The Master

tragabigzanda wrote:
First Blood and Rambo are the only ones I like. Part 2 + 3 were silly. This western idea could be awesome though.

Same, but it’s been a long time since I’ve seen the middle two, so I’m curious to revisit them. Especially since Jack Cardiff (greatest cinematographer of all time, IMO) lensed II.

PostPosted: Tue October 02, 2018 9:52 pm 
The Master

tragabigzanda wrote:
theplatypus wrote:

First Blood (the original) still holds up really well. It's a relatively quiet movie about a Vietnam vet trying to stay out of trouble in a small Oregon town; it's nothing like the subsequent flicks and totally worth watching.

Parts 2 and 3 were steroid action movies that were genre-appropriate for their time, but I think have aged horribly.

Rambo (part 4) was absolutely nuts and is worth watching just to see what happens when Sly Stallone gets a big production budget and doesn't give a shit about political correctness.

First Blood is a minor masterpiece with an incredible lead performance from Stallone, and Rambo is batshit insanity. One of the most viciously violent movies I’ve ever seen. You gotta see that one for sure, Jorge.

The Master

Growing up...2 and 3 were always my favorite. I guess at the time they were most exciting an action packed. Big action movies. I haven't watched them in years to be honest so i have no idea where they would sit with me now as a semi-adult.

Rambo coming out of the mud to slit throats, burning off the infected scar tissue. That stuff was exciting for little strat.

Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
theplatypus wrote:

First Blood is a minor masterpiece with an incredible lead performance from Stallone, and Rambo is batshit insanity. One of the most viciously violent movies I’ve ever seen. You gotta see that one for sure, Jorge.

Team tragloathedbigverminzanda72

PostPosted: Tue October 02, 2018 9:53 pm 
Production Police

durdencommatyler wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
theplatypus wrote:

Is John Rambo about to unite RM?

PostPosted: Tue October 02, 2018 9:54 pm 
The Master

Stallone’s monologue at the end of First Blood is one of my favorite things ever in a movie and it makes me cry every time.

Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

tragabigzanda wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
theplatypus wrote:

Is John Rambo about to unite RM?

Please calm down

The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
theplatypus wrote:

Yea...First Blood is legit.

Kind of an interesting career arc for Stallone. Two of his greatest achievements were those smaller character piece driven films like the original Rocky and Rambo. Curious to why he took this to steroid level 10 action movies from there on out. i think thats why I enjoyed Cop Land so much because it showcased Stallones real acting chops.

PostPosted: Tue October 02, 2018 9:58 pm 
Production Police

Strat wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
theplatypus wrote:

Kind of an interesting career arc for Stallone. Two of his greatest achievements were those smaller character piece driven films like the original Rocky and Rambo. Curious to why he took this to steroid level 10 action movies from there on out. i think thats why I enjoyed Cop Land so much because it showcased Stallones real acting chops.

:thumbsup:

Re: the move to big-budget action, hey, the 80s were a heady time:

Sly: "How much hookers and blow can I afford if we make another quiet Rambo movie?"

Accountant: "A lot."

Sly: "How much hookers and blow can I afford if we make a big-budget spectacle that destroys at the box office?"

Accountant: "More than a lot."

Sly: "In!"

PostPosted: Tue October 02, 2018 9:59 pm 
The Master

tragabigzanda wrote:
Strat wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
theplatypus wrote:

:thumbsup:

Re: the move to big-budget action, hey, the 80s were a heady time:

Sly: "How much hookers and blow can I afford if we make another quiet Rambo movie?"

Accountant: "A lot."

Sly: "How much hookers and blow can I afford if we make a big-budget spectacle that destroys at the box office?"

Accountant: "More than a lot."

Sly: "In!"

If only i was born in the late 60's so i too could enjoy the coke roaring 80's.

PostPosted: Tue October 02, 2018 10:00 pm 
The Master

I think that narrative about Stallone kinda misses some nuance. The dude never stopped being a great screenwriter with a knack for complicated characters; that aspect of his filmography often gets ignored. Stallone isn’t talked about enough as being a good filmmaker, which he definitely is.

PostPosted: Tue October 02, 2018 10:02 pm 
The Master

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
I think that narrative about Stallone kinda misses some nuance. The dude never stopped being a great screenwriter with a knack for complicated characters; that aspect of his filmography often gets ignored. Stallone isn’t talked about enough as being a good filmmaker, which he definitely is.

Also I fucking love Cliffhanger

PostPosted: Tue October 02, 2018 10:05 pm 
The Master

Strat wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:

Also I fucking love Cliffhanger

Staying Alive, the Rocky sequels, Cobra, Over the Top -varying degrees of success, for sure, but he is always doing interesting things, even if they might not always be at the forefront of the material.

PostPosted: Tue October 02, 2018 10:16 pm 
The Master

Via preview, this doesnt look 1/2 as good as previous Farrel/Reilly attempts but I absolutely will be going to this over the holidays:

PostPosted: Tue October 02, 2018 10:17 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Yeah I’m a fan of sly. I recently got Cobra to see because of my Mandy obsession. Maybe later in the week.

PostPosted: Tue October 02, 2018 10:23 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

I have doubts that its aged well but Tango and Cash was my favorite Sly movie back in the day.

PostPosted: Tue October 02, 2018 10:33 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

I know he didn't write/direct it, but Demolition Man is one of my favorite Stallone movies. I could watch that thing every day.

PostPosted: Tue October 02, 2018 10:44 pm 
The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:
I know he didn't write/direct it, but Demolition Man is one of my favorite Stallone movies. I could watch that thing every day.

the garden of the jolly green giant!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8579 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 239, 240, 241, 242, 243, 244, 245 ... 429  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment