Switch to full style
Books, movies, television...
Post a reply

Re: Netflix: 3 Body Problem

Mon March 25, 2024 10:33 pm

blueviper wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:The ending was a little dull but I guess there's still a lot of story to tell. Sure hope they continue making it!

in the books, things get nuts

I don’t think it’s that nuts, I can’t count how many times (this is a real spoiler for the book, please don’t open it if you haven’t read them)

Spoiler: show
the solar system has been crunched into two dimensions.

Thu March 28, 2024 12:53 am

I'm halfway through episode 4. There's a lot of mediocre melodrama, so-so visual effects, network TV-level production design, lame keyboard music, and cardboard thin characters. Not the prestige drama I was expecting. Another job well done, D&D!

Thu March 28, 2024 1:07 am

My eyes are gonna roll out the back of my head. Is this worth finishing?

Thu March 28, 2024 2:24 am

Apparently not?

Thu March 28, 2024 2:31 am

Okay, the nano thread episode wasn’t bad…mostly.

Thu March 28, 2024 2:41 pm

Fri March 29, 2024 1:08 am

Ensign9 wrote:Okay, the nano thread episode wasn’t bad…mostly.

Just watched this episode. I swear there was a horror movie where a cable did a similar thing to people on a ship. Am I making this up?

Edit: I’m not. Ghost Ship

Fri March 29, 2024 1:25 am

Through five episodes, I think my problems with this show mirror those of the latter seasons of GoT. There’s a highlight reel quality to the plotting that feels like it’s undercutting character development and immersion into the world. And the violence, while impactful, seems to lean on B-movie spectacle instead of attempting to deliver real emotional impact by making you care about the characters on anymore than a superficial level. It’s “Oh, kids exist on this boat so I should care!” instead of spending time with these people and coming to care about them in some form because they feel like actual people instead of cardboard cutouts. Here, they’re just the bad guys so they deserve what’s coming to them. And the less than stellar effects work only intensify that (lack of) feeling.

There’s an overall cheapness to the proceedings and seeing the same red flags we saw with the last two seasons of GoT with D&D at the helm makes me wonder what might’ve been under different hands. The ceiling for this show feels like it’s B+ at best.

Fri March 29, 2024 3:37 am

Ensign9 wrote:Through five episodes, I think my problems with this show mirror those of the latter seasons of GoT. There’s a highlight reel quality to the plotting that feels like it’s undercutting character development and immersion into the world. And the violence, while impactful, seems to lean on B-movie spectacle instead of attempting to deliver real emotional impact by making you care about the characters on anymore than a superficial level. It’s “Oh, kids exist on this boat so I should care!” instead of spending time with these people and coming to care about them in some form because they feel like actual people instead of cardboard cutouts. Here, they’re just the bad guys so they deserve what’s coming to them. And the less than stellar effects work only intensify that (lack of) feeling.

There’s an overall cheapness to the proceedings and seeing the same red flags we saw with the last two seasons of GoT with D&D at the helm makes me wonder what might’ve been under different hands. The ceiling for this show feels like it’s B+ at best.

I think the special effects have been cool.

Fri March 29, 2024 3:01 pm

daft twat wrote:
Ensign9 wrote:Through five episodes, I think my problems with this show mirror those of the latter seasons of GoT. There’s a highlight reel quality to the plotting that feels like it’s undercutting character development and immersion into the world. And the violence, while impactful, seems to lean on B-movie spectacle instead of attempting to deliver real emotional impact by making you care about the characters on anymore than a superficial level. It’s “Oh, kids exist on this boat so I should care!” instead of spending time with these people and coming to care about them in some form because they feel like actual people instead of cardboard cutouts. Here, they’re just the bad guys so they deserve what’s coming to them. And the less than stellar effects work only intensify that (lack of) feeling.

I think the special effects have been cool.

They are Lost quality, which was perfectly fine and above average back in the mid-2000s on network TV.

Fri March 29, 2024 5:00 pm

The funny thing in ep 5 was I was watching people get brutally nano-fibered, and when the dude broke his ankle, I recoiled.

Fri March 29, 2024 6:22 pm

daft twat wrote:The funny thing in ep 5 was I was watching people get brutally nano-fibered, and when the dude broke his ankle, I recoiled.

Agreed, that’s so funky, but I know what that feels like, and I assume getting sliced instantaneously into 5 pieces would be painless.

Sat March 30, 2024 2:38 am

Here’s the most asshole thing I’ve ever posted: Auggie is way too attractive to be a brilliant scientist.

Ep 6 was a little dull.

Sun March 31, 2024 2:07 am

Just finished. It's fine. Meh.

It seems like general sentiment about the show is positive so I'll just have to hope season 2 is an improvement.

On to the books.

Sun March 31, 2024 2:44 am

I’ll get to the finale tomorrow. Loved the line in the penultimate about how we all really amount to about the same.

Fri April 12, 2024 2:49 am

Finally started this… the “western” scenes from the first two are poorly written and acted. Jin in particular is awful. The scenes in China are pretty compelling though so I’ll stick for now

Fri April 12, 2024 3:10 pm

RM needs to be dehydrated for 400 years.

Sat April 13, 2024 8:00 am

Alex wrote:RM needs to be dehydrated for 400 years.

We are most definitely in a Chaotic Era.

Sat April 13, 2024 12:19 pm

Ensign9 wrote:
Alex wrote:RM needs to be dehydrated for 400 years.

We are most definitely in a Chaotic Era.

i’d love for every post in the Dark Matter song thread to be changed to “You Are Bugs”

Sun April 14, 2024 2:42 pm

3 & 4 are better, Jin is 50% less c-wordy, though still an extreme Mary Su. I like the direction they are taking Benedict Wong’s character. Overall still feels rushed and jumpy and could benefit hugely from a bit more time spent on the science given how critical that is to the story

The clock effect is too reminiscent of “24” as well
Post a reply