The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 214 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Napoleon (Ridley Scott) - 11/22/23
PostPosted: Sun November 26, 2023 5:05 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

BurtReynolds wrote:
I wouldn't say it's a huge hit. It underperformed last week, but held pretty strong. But by today's lowered standards I guess it is.

Harry Potter isn't YA, though it did skew a little older as it went.

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sun November 26, 2023 5:06 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Still can’t wait to see Napoleon. Won’t be in the cinema, so hopefully it will arrive on digital fairly quickly.

PostPosted: Sun November 26, 2023 11:26 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Saw this on Friday. I quite enjoyed it

PostPosted: Mon November 27, 2023 1:26 am 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

PostPosted: Mon November 27, 2023 2:08 am 
Major Dude

Winning!

PostPosted: Mon November 27, 2023 2:11 am 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

We need more world history movies like 10,000 BC, 13th Warrior and Apocalypto.

PostPosted: Mon November 27, 2023 2:36 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

This is definitely not those movies.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Mon November 27, 2023 5:43 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

B wrote:

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/ridley-scott-napoleon-tops-global-box-office-1235809187/

Ridley Scott’s ‘Napoleon’ Reigns Supreme at Global Box Office With $78.8 Million

“Napoleon” brought in $33.1 million domestically in its first five days of release, landing in second place behind “The Hunger Games” prequel “The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes.”

“The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes” added $26.2 million at the international box office, bringing its weekend tally to $68.8 million.

PostPosted: Mon November 27, 2023 7:01 am 
The Master

Anders wrote:
B wrote:

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/ridley-scott-napoleon-tops-global-box-office-1235809187/

Ridley Scott’s ‘Napoleon’ Reigns Supreme at Global Box Office With $78.8 Million

“Napoleon” brought in $33.1 million domestically in its first five days of release, landing in second place behind “The Hunger Games” prequel “The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes.”

“The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes” added $26.2 million at the international box office, bringing its weekend tally to $68.8 million.

Quote:
A traditional studio would not be thrilled with the economics of “Napoleon” (to say the least). The same goes for Martin Scorsese’s “Killers of the Flower Moon,” which also cost Apple $200 million and has grossed $151 million globally.

“While the box office start is good for the genre, the production cost is enormous for this type of film,” says David A. Gross, who runs the movie consulting firm Franchise Entertainment Research.

But Apple, one of the deepest-pocketed companies in the world, isn’t overly concerned with the profits and losses of its movies (for now). It’s releasing these big-budget films in theaters (Sony Pictures is handling distribution of “Napoleon”) to generate buzz for their eventual launches on Apple TV+, the company’s challenger to Netflix and Disney+. This isn’t to say Apple, which is opening Matthew Vaughn’s “Argylle” on the big screen in 2024 via Universal Pictures, won’t eventually change its tune about box office dollars.

PostPosted: Mon November 27, 2023 7:08 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Ah yes, forfeiting theatrical to prioritize streaming... that has worked out great for certain studios

PostPosted: Mon November 27, 2023 1:07 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Jorge wrote:
Ah yes, forfeiting theatrical to prioritize streaming... that has worked out great for certain studios

It's worked out for movies in general.

PostPosted: Mon November 27, 2023 1:14 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

(it hasn't)

PostPosted: Mon November 27, 2023 1:16 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

I hated this movie, but if Apple wants to keep throwing lots of money at auteurs with no regard for making the money back, that's fine with me.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Mon November 27, 2023 1:18 pm 

Still not getting Apple TV though

PostPosted: Mon November 27, 2023 1:22 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Apple TV (the machine you plug into your tv) is excellent. Appletv+ is not necessary to have an ongoing subscription of. But cool that they have made these two movies.

PostPosted: Mon November 27, 2023 1:23 pm 
Future Drummer

spike wrote:
Anders wrote:
B wrote:

Quote:
A traditional studio would not be thrilled with the economics of “Napoleon” (to say the least). The same goes for Martin Scorsese’s “Killers of the Flower Moon,” which also cost Apple $200 million and has grossed $151 million globally.

“While the box office start is good for the genre, the production cost is enormous for this type of film,” says David A. Gross, who runs the movie consulting firm Franchise Entertainment Research.

But Apple, one of the deepest-pocketed companies in the world, isn’t overly concerned with the profits and losses of its movies (for now). It’s releasing these big-budget films in theaters (Sony Pictures is handling distribution of “Napoleon”) to generate buzz for their eventual launches on Apple TV+, the company’s challenger to Netflix and Disney+. This isn’t to say Apple, which is opening Matthew Vaughn’s “Argylle” on the big screen in 2024 via Universal Pictures, won’t eventually change its tune about box office dollars.

So apple has discovered the logic that led the old studios to release prestige films

PostPosted: Mon November 27, 2023 1:40 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prestige_picture

A prestige picture is a film produced to bolster the film studio's perceived artistic integrity, rather than to turn a large profit; the studio may even expect the film to lose money.

PostPosted: Mon November 27, 2023 1:44 pm 
Production Police

I think it’s way too early to gauge whether or not the streaming release model is a failure, particularly for the industry agnostic behemoths like Apple or Amazon. With their complicated bookkeeping, all that matters from a financial standpoint is stock price and retained earnings. I’d give it a few more years.

PostPosted: Mon November 27, 2023 2:10 pm 

I've always felt like Amazon had the best chance of thriving, since their service is basically just a perk of having prime shipping. They've put out some absolute dogshit though, and have hired all the wrong people.

PostPosted: Mon November 27, 2023 2:14 pm 
Production Police

BurtReynolds wrote:
I've always felt like Amazon had the best chance of thriving, since their service is basically just a perk of having prime shipping. They've put out some absolute dogshit though, and have hired all the wrong people.

Pretty sure their whole enterprise is mostly a perk of AWS now

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 214 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment