The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Movie: Asteroid City (Wes Anderson)
PostPosted: Wed March 29, 2023 5:49 pm 
The Master

Think hard about that before you answer.

PostPosted: Wed March 29, 2023 5:50 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Jorge wrote:
Anders wrote:
His style makes every other movie seem more real. It doesn’t matter if it’s the Coen brothers, who are also quirky, Lynch, who is weird, or popcorn Marvel movies, no one beats Wes Anderson in levels of fake.

Do you think he's concerned with looking "real"?

Doesn’t matter what he’s concerned with, the product speaks for itself.

PostPosted: Wed March 29, 2023 5:51 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

intentions matter, though

PostPosted: Wed March 29, 2023 6:07 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

tree_ wrote:

If I listen to a Pearl Jam song, it is what I get from the music and the lyrics that matter, not what Stone intended when he wrote the music, and neither what Ed thought of when he wrote the lyrics.

Clearly of you watch The Last Emperor, it is what you interpret from it that matters, even if Bertolucci spent countless hours trying to make the movie genuine and true.

PostPosted: Wed March 29, 2023 6:10 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

Anders wrote:
tree_ wrote:

If I listen to a Pearl Jam song, it is what I get from the music and the lyrics that matter, not what Stone intended when he wrote the music, and neither what Ed thought of when he wrote the lyrics.

Clearly of you watch The Last Emperor, it is what you interpret from it that matters, even if Bertolucci spent countless hours trying to make the movie genuine and true.

Wes Anderson consciously emulating his own style and Wes Anderson being utterly incapable of any other style are two very different things that mean very different things.

PostPosted: Wed March 29, 2023 6:11 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

tree_ wrote:
Anders wrote:
tree_ wrote:

Wes Anderson consciously emulating his own style and Wes Anderson utterly uncapable of any other style are two very different things that mean very different things.

I haven’t said anything about either.

PostPosted: Wed March 29, 2023 6:12 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

Anders wrote:
tree_ wrote:
Anders wrote:
tree_ wrote:

Wes Anderson consciously emulating his own style and Wes Anderson utterly uncapable of any other style are two very different things that mean very different things.

No, but it's partly why intentions matter, at least to me.

PostPosted: Wed March 29, 2023 6:15 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

My favorite thing about that trailer is that most of the movie's stars listed at the end (including big names like Margot Robbie, Edward Norton, Hong Chau) aren't even in the trailer. I'm guessing they play alien voices

PostPosted: Wed March 29, 2023 6:17 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

tree_ wrote:
Anders wrote:
tree_ wrote:
Anders wrote:
tree_ wrote:

No, but it's partly why intentions matter, at least to me.

Lightning Bolt is not a great album, it doesn’t matter what the intentions of the band were.
Were they consciously trying to emulate their earlier work, but failed? Or were they just having fun, enjoying their older age, fully aware that they had lost some of the magic? It matters not.

PostPosted: Wed March 29, 2023 6:20 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Everything is too bright

I don't think my eyes can handle such a high key for an entire movie.

I did like Grand Budapest and about a third of that anthology one, but he has to work extra hard to convince me there is still fuel left in this tank.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Wed March 29, 2023 6:24 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Anders wrote:

Yes, but if you listen to a Pearl Jam song and judge it by the same standards that you would judge a jazz tune or a salsa song or a techno raver, you're doing a disservice to yourself and to the art. Would you look at the work of an expressionist painter like Van Gogh and complain about how fake it looks? Of course not. Not every piece of art is striving for the same effect; opting for hyper-stylization in pursuit of an aesthetic experience unconcerned with realism is a legitimate artistic practice, this stands true for film as for any other medium.

Personally I can't think of a more boring approach to art than to obsess over realism

PostPosted: Wed March 29, 2023 6:41 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Jorge wrote:
Anders wrote:

Yes, but if you listen to a Pearl Jam song and judge it by the same standards that you would judge a jazz tune or a salsa song or a techno raver, you're doing a disservice to yourself and to the art. Would you look at the work of an expressionist painter like Van Gogh and complain about how fake it looks? Of course not. Not every piece of art is striving for the same effect; opting for hyper-stylization in pursuit of an aesthetic experience unconcerned with realism is a legitimate artistic practice, this stands true for film as for any other medium.

Personally I can't think of a more boring approach to art than to obsess over realism

Not a big fan of Van Gogh. Went to his museum, saw a great painting, turns out it was painted by someone else. Although, I have a feeling he would have more range as a director than Wes Anderson.

I don’t know how you would have me judge a salsa, which I can enjoy, or a techno raver, which I hate, but I don’t think it would be too different to judging a Pearl Jam song. Really only depends on whether I like it or not.

PostPosted: Wed March 29, 2023 6:44 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

And with that flimsy non-response, I declare myself the winner of this very easy debate

PostPosted: Wed March 29, 2023 6:46 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

Anders, one can enjoy something without knowing the hows and whys the thing was created. But the knowledge of hows and whys can have the power to alter the degree of enjoyment, because of subjective experience. And the best kind of art induces enjoyment on this, say, "meta" level.

Last edited by tree_ on Wed March 29, 2023 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed March 29, 2023 6:47 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Jorge wrote:
And with that flimsy non-response, I declare myself the winner of this very easy debate

Maybe time to focus on more realism.

PostPosted: Wed March 29, 2023 6:48 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

Wes Anderson movies not looking realistic enough is an absolutely hilarious criticism. What the hell is going on in here?

PostPosted: Wed March 29, 2023 6:50 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

Grand Budapest Hotel and Life Aquatic are two of my favorite movies of all time so I'm all-in on Wes and his style.

I'm also a little confused by the posts in this thread seeming to want Wes Anderson to make non-Wes Anderson movies.

PostPosted: Wed March 29, 2023 6:51 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

tree_ wrote:
Anders, one can enjoy something without knowing the hows and whys the thing was created. But the knowledge of hows and whys can have the power to alter the degree of enjoyment, because of subjective experience. And the best kind of art induces enjoyment on this, say, "meta" level.

I want to add: the reason I grow tired of his aesthetic is because I have seen his previous movies, and the novelty of his aesthetic has worn out its welcome, and the stories themselves aren't intriguing enough to hold me. But again, if I were to learn he is utterly uncapable of any other style, that would add a novel layer of fascination to it all for me, and capture my attention once more.

NEVER STOP JAMMING!

tree_ wrote:

That is entirely subjective, and not true for a lot of people.

I do think if you enjoy movies based on your knowledge of the hows and whys, you can easily end up on a trajectory of misinterpretation of the hows and whys.

Last edited by Anders on Wed March 29, 2023 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

Ensign9 wrote:
Grand Budapest Hotel and Life Aquatic are two of my favorite movies of all time so I'm all-in on Wes and his style.

I'm also a little confused by the posts in this thread seeming to want Wes Anderson to make non-Wes Anderson movies.

Because it feels "put on". It's not like other people aren't capable of his style, and only he can do it. I believe he can do other styles, and I want to see what it would look like.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment