The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 506 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: HBO: The Last of Us
PostPosted: Mon January 23, 2023 5:48 am 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

Monkey_Driven wrote:
Ensign9 wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
Excellent production design. Was worried about the initial footage looking "cheap" but I think the natural lighting really pays off.

It still feels an little off to me, probably because they’re being a little too faithful to the game’s aesthetic and design. Instead of being fully engrossed in each scene and new setting, my mind instead goes, “Hey, that’s exactly the same as the game!”

The design thinking seems to be replicating the game versus replicating the scenario in the real world, if that makes sense.

Changing the way the virus spreads and how they act as groups is a pretty big change in making the threat seem much more dangerous. Will be curious to see how it plays out.

I’m referring more to set and scene design versus plot points.

PostPosted: Mon January 23, 2023 5:51 am 
The Master

Ensign9 wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
Ensign9 wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
Excellent production design. Was worried about the initial footage looking "cheap" but I think the natural lighting really pays off.

It still feels an little off to me, probably because they’re being a little too faithful to the game’s aesthetic and design. Instead of being fully engrossed in each scene and new setting, my mind instead goes, “Hey, that’s exactly the same as the game!”

The design thinking seems to be replicating the game versus replicating the scenario in the real world, if that makes sense.

Changing the way the virus spreads and how they act as groups is a pretty big change in making the threat seem much more dangerous. Will be curious to see how it plays out.

I’m referring more to set and scene design versus plot points.

The sticking too close/not close enough criticism will always come down to personal preference. I sort of figured that the story would start and end very similar to the game.

PostPosted: Mon January 23, 2023 5:59 am 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

I guess another way to describe my experience while watching is I’m losing out on the surprise and exhilaration of certain plots points and developments because of my time with the game. No different than book readers with Game of Thrones and, obviously, unavoidable. But in GoT’s case, it’s the written word I’m comparing the show to versus something that’s already been fully realized in a visual medium. As such, seeing something like the Red Wedding onscreen was breathtaking because it’s something that had lived only in my abstract imagination. There was room for the show to depict and highlight things in a new way.

Seeing Tess do what she does tonight, while a little different from the game, didn’t have that same emotional punch for me.

It probably doesn’t help that I replayed Part I over the last several nights so it’s all fresh in my mind.

PostPosted: Mon January 23, 2023 1:07 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Haven't played the game, so no spoilers for the future please, but as for last night:

Spoiler: show
I don't think they let the Tess character breath enough... just needs more casual dialogue. Same with the others. I get they need to be quiet but we the viewer needs to empathize. I hope it's not a sign that the producers were too familiar with the game scenes and are expecting viewers to know them as well.

Clickers were great, action pacing was great, Bella is doing fine. Watching the cluster writhe around on the ground was unnerving. Great scene.

PostPosted: Mon January 23, 2023 1:31 pm 
Production Police

Awesome episode. Played the game once in 2016, so I remember major plot points and certain visuals, but my memory’s fuzzy enough that I’m still surprised at certain things (“oh yeah, I remember that!”), and enjoying the new twists they’ve thrown in.

I think Bella’s doing a fantastic job. The original design model was basically an unlicensed rip of Elliott Page.

PostPosted: Mon January 23, 2023 2:08 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

Elliott Page wasn't Elliott Page when they created the game.

PostPosted: Mon January 23, 2023 3:18 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

BUT HE IS NOW

PostPosted: Mon January 23, 2023 3:20 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

VinylGuy wrote:
BUT HE IS NOW

PostPosted: Mon January 23, 2023 3:24 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

But he said the original design model back before he was Elliott was a rip of him. Probably OK to use "Ellen" in this instance, right?

PostPosted: Mon January 23, 2023 3:29 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

tree_ wrote:
But he said the original design model back before he was Elliott was a rip of him. Probably OK to use "Ellen" in this instance, right?

No, and if it's cool let's stick to the show in this thread.

PostPosted: Mon January 23, 2023 3:40 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

I don't care

PostPosted: Mon January 23, 2023 3:56 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Kinda of surprising to me, but I was a little bored with Episode 2. I am still invested and will give Episode 3 a shot. Never played the game.

PostPosted: Mon January 23, 2023 10:07 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Coach wrote:
Kinda of surprising to me, but I was a little bored with Episode 2. I am still invested and will give Episode 3 a shot. Never played the game.

Fair. Other than the Museum scene not a lot was happening.

PostPosted: Mon January 23, 2023 10:10 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Also, digging these game v show recaps:

PostPosted: Mon January 23, 2023 11:12 pm 
She / Her

I'm annoyed that I'd have to buy a new app to watch this

PostPosted: Tue January 24, 2023 12:13 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

I'm giving this show a long runway for a couple of reasons (trusting the creator, because lots of people are talking about it and it's fun to follow the discussion surrounding big shows sometimes), but overall I'm not having a lot of fun watching this. So far, my favorite parts of both episodes were the preludes to the story--Big Head's talk show and the pre-pandemic bit in Indonesia. I think both the tone and the acting in those pieces have been head and shoulders above the actual story. Maybe I just like wide, expansive stories with lots of characters and entry points, and I'm bored with the "grizzled guy who has to learn to care again" narrative that's Joel's story at the center. I'm hoping for more as they get out into the world a bit, but I don't think I'll get over that bump.

PostPosted: Tue January 24, 2023 12:16 am 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

PostPosted: Tue January 24, 2023 3:00 am 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

Okay, episode 2 was intense. And Ramsey is doing fine. I'm in.

PostPosted: Tue January 24, 2023 3:19 am 
jeeeesus relax already

yeah, im not feeling this series. Its zombies by the book mostly...it doesnt help this has been done so many times before in the last ten years, but these characters are so undimensional, their dialogue is beat by beat the same as any of these stories....and it seems its kinda copying the videogame too right?

im mostly bored.

PostPosted: Tue January 24, 2023 5:48 am 
The Master

also bored

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 506 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 26  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment