The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 482 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: Christopher Nolan's OPPENHEIMER (2023)
PostPosted: Wed November 15, 2023 3:30 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

TDK
The Prestige
Memento

Insomnia
Interstellar
Batman Begins
Oppenheimer

Dunkirk
Inception
Tenet
TDKR

He's a decidedly average filmmaker.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Wed November 15, 2023 3:33 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

I shouldn't say that. If you make a great movie, you're great, regardless of how many duds. And he has three good ones.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Wed November 15, 2023 3:46 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

tragabigzanda wrote:
(Haven’t seen Interstellar)

WTF

PostPosted: Wed November 15, 2023 5:03 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Memento
The Prestige
The Dark Knight

Inception
Batman Begins
Insomnia
Tenet
Dunkirk

Following
The Dark Knight Rises

Interstellar

Oppenheimer

PostPosted: Wed November 15, 2023 5:53 pm 
Champion of RM

I learned that Nolan made Insomnia and Following. I've never seen those. Thanks Oppenheimer!

PostPosted: Wed November 15, 2023 6:53 pm 

Has Joe ever explained why he hated Oppenheimer so much, other than the fact that it had the audacity to release on the same day as Barbie?

PostPosted: Wed November 15, 2023 6:54 pm 
Future Drummer

BurtReynolds wrote:
Has Joe ever explained why he hated Oppenheimer so much, other than the fact that it had the audacity to release on the same day as Barbie?

The two movies releasing at the same time was good for both movies. It was a sensation!

PostPosted: Wed November 15, 2023 6:55 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

BurtReynolds wrote:

You should ask him

PostPosted: Wed November 15, 2023 7:07 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Something about Wikipedia

PostPosted: Wed November 15, 2023 8:24 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Jorge wrote:
Something about Wikipedia

Something like that

PostPosted: Wed November 15, 2023 8:35 pm 
Production Police

Epilogue I’m not sure if this is part of your reason for disliking Oppenheimer, but what were your thoughts on Nolan’s in-film response to the criticism that his female characters are thinly drawn / highly objectified?

PostPosted: Wed November 15, 2023 9:11 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

tragabigzanda wrote:
Epilogue I’m not sure if this is part of your reason for disliking Oppenheimer, but what were your thoughts on Nolan’s in-film response to the criticism that his female characters are thinly drawn / highly objectified?

I haven't seen Nolan's response to that criticism.

In general, I agree with that criticism. The women are poorly drawn and dismissed. And while that certainly makes the movie worse, it's not the only thing about the movie that doesn't work for me. Florence and Emily, are both powerhouses and I think they do amazing work within the sad limitations of the script they're given, btw.

PostPosted: Wed November 15, 2023 9:17 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

what was Nolan's "in-film response"? is it during the credits or something?

PostPosted: Wed November 15, 2023 9:26 pm 
Future Drummer

tree_ wrote:
what was Nolan's "in-film response"? is it during the credits or something?

It was the nudity

PostPosted: Wed November 15, 2023 10:15 pm 
Production Police

epilogue wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

In general, I agree with that criticism. The women are poorly drawn and dismissed. And while that certainly makes the movie worse, it's not the only thing about the movie that doesn't work for me. Florence and Emily, are both powerhouses and I think they do amazing work within the sad limitations of the script they're given, btw.

I also agree with the criticism, 100%.

Some reviewers have posited that when Frank O's wife gets frustrated with J. Robert's tendency to forget her name, that was Nolan's way of acknowledging that there would continue to be criticism around this movie's treatment of women, but that in staying faithful to J. Robert's person, he was obligated to treat the women as dispensable as this was how J. Robert saw them...

To that extent, I'm more or less fine with how the movie treats most of the women in his sphere...

But I think it completely dropped the ball on his wife, who deserved to have her fears and frustrations fleshed out. By treating her as similarly dispensable -- even a willing participant -- I think it really undersold some important historical/cultural context, and made both she and her husband more one dimensional than they probably were in real life.

My $.02.

PostPosted: Wed November 15, 2023 10:20 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

tragabigzanda wrote:
epilogue wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

Some reviewers have posited that when Frank O's wife gets frustrated with J. Robert's tendency to forget her name, that was Nolan's way of acknowledging that there would continue to be criticism around this movie's treatment of women, but that in staying faithful to J. Robert's person, he was obligated to treat the women as dispensable as this was how J. Robert saw them...

To that extent, I'm more or less fine with how the movie treats most of the women in his sphere...

But I think it completely dropped the ball on his wife, who deserved to have her fears and frustrations fleshed out. By treating her as similarly dispensable -- even a willing participant -- I think it really undersold some important historical/cultural context, and made both she and her husband more one dimensional than they probably were in real life.

My $.02.

I don't buy that critical speculation, personally. Because the movie is the same without the women. So if Nolan were trying to make some point with it, he really missed the mark and it honestly makes the movie much, much worse. I think Nolan is an intelligent filmmaker, so I'm going to assume this wasn't part of his overall perspective.

As far as his wife goes, I totally agree with you. There's a chance Nolan could have gotten away with it if he hadn't included a specific scene in when Oppenheimer tells us how he and his wife are so connected and have been through the fire together. Not showing us that relationship really hurts the movie. It's exposition for exposition's sake. It's part of what I mean when I saw the movie is Wikipedia the movie.

PostPosted: Wed November 15, 2023 10:49 pm 
Production Police

epilogue wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
epilogue wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

My $.02.

I don't buy that critical speculation, personally. Because the movie is the same without the women. So if Nolan were trying to make some point with it, he really missed the mark and it honestly makes the movie much, much worse. I think Nolan is an intelligent filmmaker, so I'm going to assume this wasn't part of his overall perspective.

As far as his wife goes, I totally agree with you. There's a chance Nolan could have gotten away with it if he hadn't included a specific scene in when Oppenheimer tells us how he and his wife are so connected and have been through the fire together. Not showing us that relationship really hurts the movie. It's exposition for exposition's sake. It's part of what I mean when I saw the movie is Wikipedia the movie.

Interesting... I'll have to think on this bold part but at first blush I don't think that's crazy at all.

PostPosted: Thu November 16, 2023 1:27 am 

Did you know that Little Timmy Chalamet is in Interstellar?

PostPosted: Thu November 16, 2023 1:28 am 

tragabigzanda wrote:
epilogue wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
epilogue wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

My $.02.

Interesting... I'll have to think on this bold part but at first blush I don't think that's crazy at all.

why are you humoring him?

PostPosted: Thu November 16, 2023 3:38 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Waaaah burty sad!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 482 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment