The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post subject: Star Trek: Strange New Worlds
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 5:36 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Post subject: Re: Star Trek: Strange New Worlds
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 5:36 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Really enjoyed the first episode.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 5:40 am 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

Who dresses in a windbreaker and no hat while riding a horse in the dead of winter?

Good first episode. Chris’s (inevitable?) fate hanging over the proceedings adds a lot.

I hope Doctor Jamis randomly lets out a guttural scream every once in a while.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 9:32 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Despite still being pretty clueless about Star Trek in general, I like this series. My wife spent too much time after the pilot explaining to me where this fits in the Star Trek timeline though.

PostPosted: Sat July 23, 2022 3:28 pm 
Major Dude

Just finished the first season. Absolutely the best Trek in a long, long time.

First and foremost I have to acknowledge Anson Mount. He is pitch-perfect as Pike. No hyperbole. Mount has imbued Pike with humanity like no other. I love that he insists on cooking, really COOKING, instead of relying on computers to synthesize his food. I love his wry smiles, comedic asides, and all around jovial attitude all the while remaining able to reign that in to command at a moments notice. And in certain shots, he REALLY resembles Jeffrey Hunter.

Second, the supporting cast is AMAZING. Nurse Chapel is a fantastic extension of the character from TOS. Anyone who has a problem with Uhura is, I'm sorry, a fucking moron. Ortegas may be the breakout character from this series. I love her. Took me awhile to warm to M'Benga, but when I did? Great. Peck as "Spock" always had HUGE shoes to fill and I think he's done it admirably beginning with his turn at the character in Discovery. And Rebecca Romijn is perfect Number One. Every one of these characters has had a moment to shine and they do it so well across ten episodes.

Finally, the writing. That gets overlooked but is so crucial. The writing on this series is smart, reverential but not to the point that things can't be tweaked. Honestly, I feel like I'm watching TOS updated to the 2020's it's that amazing.

I can’t wait to see what's in store for Season 2. What fantastic television and, more importantly, what fantastic Trek. The best Trek, out of the gate, among all of the various spin-offs that we've ever seen bar none. Amazing.

PostPosted: Sun July 24, 2022 12:12 am 
Future Drummer

wease wrote:

First and foremost I have to acknowledge Anson Mount. He is pitch-perfect as Pike. No hyperbole. Mount has imbued Pike with humanity like no other. I love that he insists on cooking, really COOKING, instead of relying on computers to synthesize his food. I love his wry smiles, comedic asides, and all around jovial attitude all the while remaining able to reign that in to command at a moments notice. And in certain shots, he REALLY resembles Jeffrey Hunter.

Second, the supporting cast is AMAZING. Nurse Chapel is a fantastic extension of the character from TOS. Anyone who has a problem with Uhura is, I'm sorry, a fucking moron. Ortegas may be the breakout character from this series. I love her. Took me awhile to warm to M'Benga, but when I did? Great. Peck as "Spock" always had HUGE shoes to fill and I think he's done it admirably beginning with his turn at the character in Discovery. And Rebecca Romijn is perfect Number One. Every one of these characters has had a moment to shine and they do it so well across ten episodes.

Finally, the writing. That gets overlooked but is so crucial. The writing on this series is smart, reverential but not to the point that things can't be tweaked. Honestly, I feel like I'm watching TOS updated to the 2020's it's that amazing.

I can’t wait to see what's in store for Season 2. What fantastic television and, more importantly, what fantastic Trek. The best Trek, out of the gate, among all of the various spin-offs that we've ever seen bar none. Amazing.

I am quite intrigued.

PostPosted: Sun July 24, 2022 5:58 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

wease wrote:

Nice review. I am glad you liked it.

PostPosted: Sat August 12, 2023 9:58 pm 
Major Dude

Just started season 2. Picking up right where we left off. Almost pitch perfect. I’m only two episodes in right now and there’s only one thing I haven’t liked. And that was the first episode and its almost total exclusion of Pike. He’s the Captain and he’s only in 4 minutes of the season premiere? They should’ve found some way to switch the first two episodes around. Just doesn’t make sense to me. The second episode is absolutely fantastic, tho. As I said before, the best new Trek out there and I still stand by that.

PostPosted: Sat August 12, 2023 10:37 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

They make Spock an idiot. I find it insulting.

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment