The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 312 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: TV: Yellowstone
PostPosted: Sat March 19, 2022 1:49 pm 
Major Dude

Bammer wrote:
Just read the first 3 pages of this thread. I figured I wouldn’t get any significant spoilers. It was safe.

Anyway, you people are weird. Yes it’s a Godfather reboot. I think of it as Sons Of Anarchy on horseback. I am loving it. The scenery is beautiful.

Laughed my ass off tonight when
Spoiler: show
Monica and Kayce told Tate she was pregnant, and he goes “gross, I knew you guys weren’t taking naps” … oh man I can see the day here in the Bammer household. Thinking now about how we sneak away to bang.

You can read the whole thread. Bada and I have spoiler tagged all the 1883 stuff.

And what are you talking about weird? We said it was a Godfather deal.

PostPosted: Sun March 20, 2022 6:24 am 
mXn

One episode to go.

Every time they have a rodeo or horse show the crowd in the stands is extremely sparse. They couldn’t get a few more extras to just sit there?

PostPosted: Sun March 20, 2022 6:25 am 
mXn

wease wrote:
Bammer wrote:
Just read the first 3 pages of this thread. I figured I wouldn’t get any significant spoilers. It was safe.

Anyway, you people are weird. Yes it’s a Godfather reboot. I think of it as Sons Of Anarchy on horseback. I am loving it. The scenery is beautiful.

Laughed my ass off tonight when
Monica and Kayce told Tate she was pregnant, and he goes “gross, I knew you guys weren’t taking naps” … oh man I can see the day here in the Bammer household. Thinking now about how we sneak away to bang.

You can read the whole thread. Bada and I have spoiler tagged all the 1883 stuff.

And what are you talking about weird? We said it was a Godfather deal.

Weird in that people are avoiding it because they might see some red state-y content.

PostPosted: Mon March 21, 2022 6:26 am 
mXn

Costner is great. Who doesn’t like Costner?

Post subject: Re: What are you currently watching on TV?
PostPosted: Mon March 21, 2022 6:26 am 
mXn

washing machine wrote:
Kevin Costner plays a convincing morally questionable patriarch. I didn't think he had it in him.

Ryan Bingham's character is a little bitch though. He should stick to singing.

Hard disagree. Walker is great.

PostPosted: Mon March 21, 2022 6:27 am 
mXn

washing machine wrote:
I don't know if I'd call it great. I just want to talk with someone about it but no one on RM seems to want to give it a try!

I am here for you now.

PostPosted: Mon March 21, 2022 6:31 am 
mXn

washing machine wrote:
dad wrote:
nonsense. you should definitely bring it up again.

Fine.

Last week I was at a work conference in a posh resort in the middle of the otherwise rugged Texas Hill Country and all I could think about was how terrible it was that I was enjoying the amenities brought to me by a development group who didn't fully understand the otherwise rugged land, just like how Paradise Valley "improved" areas adjacent to the Dutton Ranch. As I went for a trail run across cacti and limestone laden landscape, I marveled that my cell signal never got below four bars. I thought about how if I fell and seriously injured myself on a rock, I could probably get myself to a hospital within 45 minutes. I thought about this conversation between Beth and Rip; “People have been saying that for a hundred years, Beth. I mean, they thought that barbed wire was going to ruin the frontier. There it is. The frontier is all around us.” "Rip, I hate to break it to you, but that's not the frontier." "Well, you can call it what you want Beth, but that's what it is." I thought about how, as city folk, nothing we will ever touch or see out in "the wild" is really how it once was. Not to the tourists, the developers, the frontiersmen, or even the indigenous people who got there "first."

I have something prolific to say about earth before the prehistoric ice ages or whatever … can’t put the words together but the first settlers weren’t exactly getting earth in its original form, either.

PostPosted: Mon March 21, 2022 6:33 am 
mXn

spike wrote:
Mickey wrote:
dad wrote:
washing machine wrote:
MD, dad, Trag, or anyone really. What exactly is it about Yellowstone that makes you not want to dive it?

My reasons are shallow, but here goes...

originally, i thought this was a period piece about settling the west. i enjoy things like that. i know now it's not.

over the holiday, i had a brief conversation with some in-laws here in okc, in-laws i clash with ideologically (big time), and one of them talked this show up like it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. it was then i decided i would opt out. this particular person has also spouted off qanon-specific garbage i can't let go of, therefore their opinion means nothing to me.

awfully close-minded of me, i know.

I mentioned this earlier in the thread--my wife's very right-wing, pro-Trump parents LOVE this show, so we've had serious hesitation about watching a show that is talked about as if it's the story of the poor patriarch besieged by modern culture and big government into giving up his Traditional Family Values. And I don't think the trailers do a lot to dispel this impression. But learning it's made by Taylor Sheridan, who did Sicario and Hell or High Water (two movies that are not, to my mind, simple right-wing stagings of a black-and-white conflict), and remembering that my wife's parents are not particularly discerning viewers of television (the type of people who would be like, "damn, Don Draper is so cool!"), we've reconsidered.

That said, I don't think it's closed-minded of you to, faced with too many streaming objets, decide not to prioritize a show that has been talked about in hushed tones by the #rememberBenghazi crowd. It sounds like it's unfair to the show that this is the case, but I think it's an understandable choice all the same.

Nice post. While I’ve given Yellowstone a shot, I can’t help but watch it through this lens. Knowing that Trumpers are watching and sympathizing with Costner’s character throws off the enjoyment factor for me.

Lol

PostPosted: Mon March 21, 2022 6:39 am 
mXn

Rob wrote:
washing machine wrote:
Welp just finished s3. :shock:

The ending to season 3 and Ep1 of season 4 were probably the peak for me, in this show. Really intense few scenes. Glad I binged this after airing because the way season 3 ends... I really wouldn't have wanted to wait to know.

I kinda miss waiting.

PostPosted: Mon March 21, 2022 6:40 am 
mXn

Strat wrote:
My friends hate this show and would think less of me if I watch it but I kind of want to watch it

My friends can suck deez nuttz.

PostPosted: Mon March 21, 2022 6:43 am 
mXn

wease wrote:
Well fuck. We’re a little past halfway in season 2. On another board I frequent, one of the mods was telling everyone to keep the thread dedicated to the show spoiler free as people are coming into it at different times. in doing so he dropped a HUGE fucking spoiler that we’ve not gotten to yet. Goddammit

Which board are you cheating on us with and how do some of you people have enough free time to RM on multiple boards????

PostPosted: Mon March 21, 2022 6:43 am 
mXn

wease wrote:
washing machine wrote:
Do you have a favorite character?

After finishing the second season last night, the answer is unequivocally Rip.

Well yeah it’s easily Rip

PostPosted: Mon March 21, 2022 6:44 am 
mXn

wease wrote:
We just finished S4E3. Jimmy’s farewell for the spin-off show. His lady friend is all pissed at him because he wouldn’t choose her and leave the ranching behind. Stupid bitch. He chose her twice and almost died both times. Fuck her.

What spinoff show? Isn’t it a prequel like 100 years earlier?

PostPosted: Mon March 21, 2022 6:46 am 
mXn

washing machine wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
This show any good? My dad likes it

“You ever plow a field? To plant the quinoa or sorghum or whatever the heck it is you eat. You kill everything on the ground and under it. You kill every snake, every frog, every mouse, mole, vole, worm, quail, you kill them all. So, I guess the only real question is: how cute does an animal have to be before you care if it dies to feed you?”

That was great

PostPosted: Mon March 21, 2022 6:47 am 
mXn

washing machine wrote:
Hell yeah bammer.

We are at a stupid stand still on episode 5 s4 currently. My wife is doing this thing she does where the show gets really good but she decides to take a break from it for an unpredictable amount of time. We could pick it back up tonight or a year from now. Same thing happened with Ozark.

Your first mistake was getting married

PostPosted: Mon March 21, 2022 6:47 am 
mXn

Bammer wrote:
I’m 5 eps in, will read thru this thread once I get caught up. Thoughts as I go thru the series, maybe already covered. Sorry if I’m Classic B’ing the thread.

What’s with John calling in a favor with the priest? After service the priest has a private conversation we don’t see with a young man I didn’t recognize. Who is that? Did he witness something? I missed something here for sure.

Still never got an answer on this. What did I miss?

PostPosted: Mon March 21, 2022 6:48 am 
mXn

wease wrote:
Bammer wrote:
I’m 5 eps in, will read thru this thread once I get caught up. Thoughts as I go thru the series, maybe already covered. Sorry if I’m Classic B’ing the thread.

What’s with John calling in a favor with the priest? After service the priest has a private conversation we don’t see with a young man I didn’t recognize. Who is that? Did he witness something? I missed something here for sure.

He witnessed Kayce killing his brother-in-law in retaliation for killing Kayce’s brother, Lee in the first episode.

D’oh. Thanks. Did not recognize him AT ALL from the shooting scene.

PostPosted: Mon March 21, 2022 6:51 am 
mXn

washing machine wrote:
Slowly making our way through season 4. I am now slightly offended that my friends compared me to Lloyd. Not a good moment for him in episode S4 ep6.

I am realizing what makes this show sound so conservative to those on the left who are hesitant to dive in. Especially here in the later seasons, there's a constant emphasis that what the Duttons are fighting for is worth conserving. The show does this in visual ways, like making the Dutton Ranch look like the most idyllic place in Montana, but it also does it with showing you what's at stake if the ranch goes away. Progress would ruin this land first, then it would deteriorate the entire mythos of "cowboying", a way of life with a code that means something of deep commitment and importance to those in this show who live it. If you're unfamiliar with any of that, you might think "so what?", but spending any amount of time with these characters helps understand just a little bit better why this way of life is virtuous. Obviously the violence to preserve it is another story, but the virtue being preserved is, I think, on good display in this series.

S4minor plot point spoiler alert:

There's that scene in S4, episode 6 where John is taking home an environmental activist after having a romantic rendezvous. He drives down the road, sees a calf on the other side of the fence, then pulls over and flags down Rip and crew who are working nearby to help him get the calf back in on the other side of the fence. His new lover is all "if there weren't fences, you wouldn't have to do that", but of course this is the modern and the fences are a practical way to keep a domesticated animal safe, and John really does have to do that. It's just the way this all works. He understands the land and the livestock in ways that an idealistic activist never will and he does what he needs to to preserve that. In every aspect of his life or his family dealings.

The world hates Dutton for the above because it's messy but necessary work. Like a lot of capitalism, the product of ranching is consumed/enjoyed by all, but the minute you peel back the layers and see the cost or the work involved, the men behind it are seen as uncaring villains without empathy for others. I can understand how it might be hard for someone who spends time thinking in the black/white dichotomy of our current political climate to see past the surface level in this show, but it's so rich for discussion if you dive into it.

People who avoid this show because they are worried about the politics need to learn something: know your enemy.

PostPosted: Mon March 21, 2022 6:52 am 
mXn

washing machine wrote:
You know who is a great character that absolutely no one talks about? Gator. My man is holding steady in that kitchen season after season, keeping to himself, making fantastic looking dinners for the Duttons and guests. Where does he live? How big is that kitchen? What does he do when he's not cooking? What's his story?

Yes I want to know where the F he lives, too.

PostPosted: Mon March 21, 2022 6:53 am 
mXn

wease wrote:
washing machine wrote:
"child-mother" is the perfect way of describing an otherwise normal relationship in a place like Jamieworld.

And that’s just it. She came back so the child would know its father, not for any kind of romantic interest. He’s as broken a person that’s ever been on tv. How he’s not killed himself a dozen times over is remarkable.

Then why is she in his campaign corner so hard?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 312 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 16  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment