The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 395 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next
 Post subject: The Marvels
PostPosted: Wed April 12, 2023 2:03 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Flerkin kitties. I think I'm gonna like the goofball spirit of this movie.

Post subject: Re: The Marvels
PostPosted: Wed April 12, 2023 2:59 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

looks so tired. So bored.

PostPosted: Wed April 12, 2023 3:45 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Fuckin' girls ruin everything.

PostPosted: Wed April 12, 2023 3:47 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

B wrote:
Fuckin' lazy disney writing ruins everything.

PostPosted: Wed April 12, 2023 3:48 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

B wrote:

I cant believe i have to make this comment, but it would feel the same with guys.

Maybe the movie is amazing, but i dont think that teaser is really trying anything

PostPosted: Wed April 12, 2023 5:30 pm 
Major Dude

I’m just pumped to see Monica Captain Marvel. She’s long been one of my favorites.

PostPosted: Wed April 12, 2023 5:54 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

This trailer is a trap. Make something clearly horrible and call anyone that says anything misogynist. Easier to ignore it which is what I suspect the general audience is going to do.

PostPosted: Wed April 12, 2023 6:00 pm 
RM Elitist

Honestly I think this looks more fun than a lot of the recent Marvel stuff

PostPosted: Wed April 12, 2023 6:15 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

It's because of the girl playing Kamala. She's great, and the only reason I would watch this terrible looking movie

PostPosted: Wed April 12, 2023 6:16 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Also
B wrote:

Wow you are CONDITIONED my guy

PostPosted: Wed April 12, 2023 8:06 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

bada wrote:
This trailer is a trap. Make something clearly horrible and call anyone that says anything misogynist. Easier to ignore it which is what I suspect the general audience is going to do.

VG's assessment was vague, which opened him up to my criticism. He came closer on attempt number two.

But I think you're wrong. Here are several critiques that have nothing to do with gender.

- The sitcomy, fish-out-of-water plot line is too juvenile.
- This has the same crazy, comic booky moments as the Ant-Man trailer, which got us excited for a pretty ho-hum movie.
- This movie will either dumb down the serious content of Secret Wars or try to mute the goofiness of Ms. Marvel, and will probably fall flat by embracing neither.

PostPosted: Wed April 12, 2023 8:08 pm 
The Master

I think you should stop watching trailers, B.

PostPosted: Wed April 12, 2023 8:09 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Jorge wrote:
Also
B wrote:

Wow you are CONDITIONED my guy

If I am overzealous in my defenses against racism, mysogyny, etc, I'm ok with that.

PostPosted: Wed April 12, 2023 8:12 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Yes B defending corporate product through knee-jerk insinuations of sexism is the path to a better world. You are a Good Boy.

PostPosted: Wed April 12, 2023 8:16 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

:roll:

PostPosted: Wed April 12, 2023 8:17 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Still thinking about this movie's box office chances. I still stand by my original assessment from a different thread, but I saw a lot of people excited about the trailer yesterday so I am slightly less sure than before

Jorge wrote:
I’m convinced that The Marvels will be an honest to god bomb, even if it's the sequel to a movie that made over a billion dollars. To the point that they may do something like pivot to a simultaneous Disney+ release to bury the headlines.

- It's a movie where two of its three main characters were introduced in Disney+ shows, one of them as a tertiary character. Barrier to entry: high.
- It won't be buoyed by the anticipation generated by the films released before and after it, like Captain Marvel was by coming out in between Infinity War and Endgame.
- It's a sequel to a movie that, despite being very commercially successful, was fairly divisive in terms of audience reaction.
- It's being released in the pre-Christmas death slot.
- Bad press and negative word of mouth from people hating Ant-Man 3.
- Unlike Guardians 3 (which is increasingly feeling like the last chopper out of Saigon) this isn't being hyped as the last chapter to a saga.

I also believe that because it stars three women (two of which are women of color) and since it will likely espouse some ham-handed liberal politics, it will be victim of review bombing by the absolute biggest losers on Earth, but that will be canceled out by the "it sounds like we're upsetting the RIGHT PEOPLE!" #Resist crowd who will buy multiple tickets because they believe stanning a superhero movie will advance us towards a fairer world.

It used to be insane to bet against Marvel but I honestly believe this will underperform significantly.

PostPosted: Wed April 12, 2023 8:46 pm 
The Master

Wow jorge is obsessed with this movie.

PostPosted: Wed April 12, 2023 8:51 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

The controversy drives engagement!

PostPosted: Wed April 12, 2023 10:10 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

B wrote:
bada wrote:

VG's assessment was vague, which opened him up to my criticism. He came closer on attempt number two.

But I think you're wrong. Here are several critiques that have nothing to do with gender.

- The sitcomy, fish-out-of-water plot line is too juvenile.
- This has the same crazy, comic booky moments as the Ant-Man trailer, which got us excited for a pretty ho-hum movie.
- This movie will either dumb down the serious content of Secret Wars or try to mute the goofiness of Ms. Marvel, and will probably fall flat by embracing neither.

i said the trailer looked bored and tired. which it does, no matter who stars on it.

PostPosted: Wed April 12, 2023 10:12 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Jorge wrote:
Still thinking about this movie's box office chances. I still stand by my original assessment from a different thread, but I saw a lot of people excited about the trailer yesterday so I am slightly less sure than before

Jorge wrote:
I’m convinced that The Marvels will be an honest to god bomb, even if it's the sequel to a movie that made over a billion dollars. To the point that they may do something like pivot to a simultaneous Disney+ release to bury the headlines.

- It's a movie where two of its three main characters were introduced in Disney+ shows, one of them as a tertiary character. Barrier to entry: high.
- It won't be buoyed by the anticipation generated by the films released before and after it, like Captain Marvel was by coming out in between Infinity War and Endgame.
- It's a sequel to a movie that, despite being very commercially successful, was fairly divisive in terms of audience reaction.
- It's being released in the pre-Christmas death slot.
- Bad press and negative word of mouth from people hating Ant-Man 3.
- Unlike Guardians 3 (which is increasingly feeling like the last chopper out of Saigon) this isn't being hyped as the last chapter to a saga.

I also believe that because it stars three women (two of which are women of color) and since it will likely espouse some ham-handed liberal politics, it will be victim of review bombing by the absolute biggest losers on Earth, but that will be canceled out by the "it sounds like we're upsetting the RIGHT PEOPLE!" #Resist crowd who will buy multiple tickets because they believe stanning a superhero movie will advance us towards a fairer world.

It used to be insane to bet against Marvel but I honestly believe this will underperform significantly.

I dont think it will be a bomb, Brie Larson is a star and this is Marvel...but im guessing it wont be an event or as successful as they want.

and yes i agree that this one had better chances if it was just Captain Marvel 2.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 395 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment