The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 356 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: TV: Survivor
PostPosted: Wed March 30, 2022 5:12 pm 
The Master

Simple Torture wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
blueviper wrote:
maybe it's just me or how they edit the show, but it seems like this season has more people that are below average in regards to the physical portion of the game

I heard a former player discuss that on a podcast this week--he opined that most tribes in past seasons, no matter the makeup, could've completed that challenge.

I don't know. Those were some pretty big swells.

There is something to having fewer physical players this season. I'd argue it has been trending this way for awhile. Seems like there is much more of an emphasis on casting "super fans" and people looking to big strategic moves.

Yeah, I didn't necessarily agree with him (it was Devens), but there really seems to be a dearth or physical threats this season, with one big Lex-Luger-shaped exception.

There's also a heavier emphasis on casting people with intriguing personal stories, or they are just highlighting them more.

And for a bunch of superfans, these people sure do tell every fucking person on the island when they find some sort of advantage. I heard one theory that this is a post-COVID syndrome--that people have been starved for personal connections (this was recorded during the spring/summer of 2021, I think), so they are much more open to trying to forge connections, and it's making the gameplay suffer.

Might be a generational thing too. Most of the younger players have grown up with cell phones and social media. The eagerness to share is just ingrained in their personalities.

PostPosted: Sat April 02, 2022 2:14 am 
Major Dude

He’s goddamn Aquaman!

PostPosted: Fri April 08, 2022 11:36 am 
Major Dude

Where the fuck did that vote for Mike come from? Chantelle just can’t be trusted at all.

LOL at Daniel playing them the whole time.

PostPosted: Fri April 08, 2022 11:57 am 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

I’m glad he’s gone.

PostPosted: Fri April 08, 2022 11:57 am 
Major Dude

Oh, most definitely.

PostPosted: Fri April 08, 2022 5:34 pm 
Future Drummer

Daniel talks too much to get far in this game. And not just the general chat type of talk, but the paranoid talk.

Hopefully Mike sees Chantelle's deception.

PostPosted: Fri April 08, 2022 6:36 pm 
Major Dude

blueviper wrote:
Daniel talks too much to get far in this game. And not just the general chat type of talk, but the paranoid talk.

With that look he shot her after Probst read his name, I think he had it figured out.

PostPosted: Fri April 08, 2022 7:04 pm 
The Master

Chanelle is a bigger threat than Daniel. She's cold blooded with the lying and deception.

PostPosted: Mon April 11, 2022 3:01 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

wease wrote:
blueviper wrote:

With that look he shot her after Probst read his name, I think he had it figured out.

Might not matter with the merge fast approaching. In fact, she may have done it to rile Mike up on purpose, knowing she can just jump ship to another alliance soon.

PostPosted: Thu April 14, 2022 12:23 am 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Jonathon is a beast

PostPosted: Thu April 14, 2022 4:24 pm 
Future Drummer

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Jonathon is a beast

Now he has a target on his back.

Wasn't Lydia part of this new "gang of 8" that was formed at merge? If so, that didn't last long.

PostPosted: Thu April 28, 2022 1:01 am 

Oh boy

PostPosted: Thu April 28, 2022 1:24 am 
Future Drummer

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Oh boy

Ditto

PostPosted: Thu April 28, 2022 2:11 am 
Rank This Poster

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Oh boy

Let’s discuss this.

When Rocks was voted out, I thought, “Smart. You can get rid of Romeo whenever. Plus, Rocks was the epitome of toxic masculinity. He was douchey.

Then the second group came in and saw him sitting next to Chanelle, and I saw what they saw: 2 black people. Additionally, with Drea’s name being bandied about, I was a little worried it would be 3 black people on the jury.

When Drea spoke, the old white man I am was a little angry. Like, it’s not about race and you’re making that the only factor. Is someone who votes for a black person racist? Can’t it be that they respect your game and fear you might win? If two white people were on the jury, what’s the conversation?

But of course there weren’t two white people on the jury. And to see Drea break down really got to me. I believed her pain. Maryann was just riding Drea’s stand, in my opinion, but both of them feeling obligated to play their idols meant something.

In the end, I was glad Tori went. She was the perfect white privilege victim. Also, I have an old man thing for Lindsey. I could watch her balance immunity challenge for days. :heartbeat:

PostPosted: Thu April 28, 2022 2:11 am 
Rank This Poster

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Oh boy

Let’s discuss this.

When Rocks was voted out, I thought, “Smart. You can get rid of Romeo whenever. Plus, Rocks was the epitome of toxic masculinity. He was douchey.

Then the second group came in and saw him sitting next to Chanelle, and I saw what they saw: 2 black people. Additionally, with Drea’s name being bandied about, I was a little worried it would be 3 black people on the jury.

When Drea spoke, the old white man I am was a little angry. Like, it’s not about race and you’re making that the only factor. Is someone who votes for a black person racist? Can’t it be that they respect your game and fear you might win? If two white people were on the jury, what’s the conversation?

But of course there weren’t two white people on the jury. And to see Drea break down really got to me. I believed her pain. Maryann was just riding Drea’s stand, in my opinion, but both of them feeling obligated to play their idols meant something.

In the end, I was glad Tori went. She was the perfect white privilege victim. Also, I have an old man thing for Lindsey. I could watch her balance immunity challenge for days. :heartbeat:

PostPosted: Thu April 28, 2022 12:12 pm 
The Master

I truly don't think the motivations to vote off Rox Roy and Channel had anything to do with race, but who am I to judge Drea and Mary Ann's reactions to seeing them both on the jury? It was emotional, raw, and personal at that point no doubt fueled by the lack of food and the heap of stress.

PostPosted: Thu April 28, 2022 12:16 pm 

Great post daft. Two things bothered me about that tribal. One was thor bringing up that “he’s not racist”. He did not read the room well at all there. Two, you mentioned it. Maryann had good things to say but seemed to only be upset by it once drea was. Drea’s emotion was powerful.

And I’ve wanted tori out from the beginning. I hate that both of them had to use their idols for that to happen though.

PostPosted: Thu April 28, 2022 6:46 pm 
Future Drummer

Rocksroy and Drea voted to eliminate Chanelle.

Three minorities (maybe four? I can't peg if Mike is minority or not) voted Rocksroy out. Mike and Rocksroy were initially a team until I'm assuming Hai changed his mind.

I don't think the voting is racially motivated, but I can see Drea's frustrations.

I'm glad Tori is out.

PostPosted: Fri April 29, 2022 12:33 am 
Rank This Poster

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
One was thor bringing up that “he’s not racist”. He did not read the room well at all there.

I agree. I even said, “Oh, dude, nooo” out loud when he said it, but I get it. Being accused of being a racist is terrifying, and the compulsion to play defense is understandable. Seeing Drea rest her head against him later was a nice image. I really like Jonathan. I have gaps of not watching, but not since Ozzy do I remember a player I thought could and probably would win any challenge.

PostPosted: Fri April 29, 2022 2:32 pm 
The Master

daft twat wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
One was thor bringing up that “he’s not racist”. He did not read the room well at all there.

I agree. I even said, “Oh, dude, nooo” out loud when he said it, but I get it. Being accused of being a racist is terrifying, and the compulsion to play defense is understandable. Seeing Drea rest her head against him later was a nice image. I really like Jonathan. I have gaps of not watching, but not since Ozzy do I remember a player I thought could and probably would win any challenge.

I thought he recovered well all things considered. Context is often lost with the edit, so it was reassuring to see that from Drea later.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 356 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 18  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment