The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: TV: Orange is the New Black
PostPosted: Tue June 27, 2017 9:04 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

B wrote:
Season 5 is moderately entertaining, but they've completely jettisoned any serious commentary for stupid jokes. It was like they were building up last season to this deep commentary on treatment of prisoners in private prisons, then Trump got elected and they said, "fuck it, let's just make shit jokes and make fun of drug addiction and mental health."

I kinda felt the opposite. It was drowning in social commentary, some funny like voting for spicy cheetos bit, but mostly it was like the scripts were scraped from tumblr. The last two episodes were pretty good and focusing on Tastee vs Piper was a smart move, but it was really 10 hours of identity politics screed, 2 hours of the same plot from the previous seasons and one hour of silly action sequences.

PostPosted: Tue June 27, 2017 9:08 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

The politics are in there, but they bury them in lame jokes so they lose a lot of their cutting edge.

PostPosted: Tue June 27, 2017 9:18 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Bi_3 wrote:
B wrote:
Season 5 is moderately entertaining, but they've completely jettisoned any serious commentary for stupid jokes. It was like they were building up last season to this deep commentary on treatment of prisoners in private prisons, then Trump got elected and they said, "fuck it, let's just make shit jokes and make fun of drug addiction and mental health."

I kinda felt the opposite. It was drowning in social commentary, some funny like voting for spicy cheetos bit, but mostly it was like the scripts were scraped from tumblr. The last two episodes were pretty good and focusing on Tastee vs Piper was a smart move, but it was really 10 hours of identity politics screed, 2 hours of the same plot from the previous seasons and one hour of silly action sequences.

This is what is has always been

PostPosted: Wed June 28, 2017 12:10 am 
F.U.B.A.R
 WWW  Profile

theplatypus wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
B wrote:

While it was reasonably entertaining, it did feel stretched out and quite unfulfilling by the end. It feels as thought the show has lost it's initial shock factor and charm, and is distinctly lacking in lesbian scenes. It seems to be becoming more of a sitcom than it ever was.

It wasn't too bad being watch over a short/binge period up to a week. But if this show was on FTA TV and watched once a week for 10 weeks, I'd have probably bailed half way through.

PostPosted: Wed June 28, 2017 1:01 am 
Looks Like a Cat

theplatypus wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
B wrote:

Maybe. But they blended it with backstory and subplots that humanized characters that otherwise would be forgotten 10 minutes after the credits rolled. By locking us into the short time period, it forced far more monologues which just destroyed the charm.

PostPosted: Thu July 27, 2017 7:44 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

In the first season you could sort of feel that the series had some reality mixed In, but for every season that passes, the show gets more and more based around some fantasy land away from any reality. Still fairly entertaining. Strange that no one ever gets out.

PostPosted: Thu July 27, 2017 8:00 pm 
F.U.B.A.R
 WWW  Profile

That's the reality of the prison system. Revolving doors.

PostPosted: Thu July 27, 2017 8:15 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

20% here have to go back, and people get out all the time.

PostPosted: Sun July 30, 2017 10:16 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

The end of season four was easily the best of the series, at the very least since season one. Now I'm finally on the newest season that was released June 9th 2017. Decent first episode.

Spoiler: show
I'm really going to miss Samira Wiley as Poussey Washington. She was my favorite.

PostPosted: Sun July 30, 2017 5:02 pm 
Rank This Poster

Anders wrote:
The end of season four was easily the best of the series, at the very least since season one. Now I'm finally on the newest season that was released June 9th 2017. Decent first episode.

I'm really going to miss Samira Wiley as Poussey Washington. She was my favorite.

We have 3 eps left for this 5th season. The black girls have been the best part of this show from the start. The woman who plays Taystee should at least be nominated for an Emmy this year. Cindy is my favorite, though.

The meth heads are the worst. Their role is comic relief, but they're never funny. I can't believe how much screen time they get.

PostPosted: Sun July 30, 2017 5:56 pm 
Major Dude

IIRC, the actresses that play Taystee and Poussey are also best friends in real life that met while they both attended Juilliard.

PostPosted: Mon July 31, 2017 9:22 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

daft twat wrote:
Anders wrote:

We have 3 eps left for this 5th season. The black girls have been the best part of this show from the start. The woman who plays Taystee should at least be nominated for an Emmy this year. Cindy is my favorite, though.

The meth heads are the worst. Their role is comic relief, but they're never funny. I can't believe how much screen time they get.

Absolutely. Those two are just a waste of time. I like Red and her crew, and both the latinas and the black girls. The main character has become more and more of a disappointment though.

PostPosted: Mon July 31, 2017 9:23 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

wease wrote:
IIRC, the actresses that play Taystee and Poussey are also best friends in real life that met while they both attended Juilliard.

That's interesting. Thank you. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon July 31, 2017 9:27 pm 
Rank This Poster

Gf watches this, at first I thought it wasn't terrible but now I can't even stand to watch 30 seconds of it

PostPosted: Mon July 31, 2017 9:46 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

i got bugs wrote:
Gf watches this, at first I thought it wasn't terrible but now I can't even stand to watch 30 seconds of it

I struggled a little at the very beginning of the series, before I and the series finally picked up steam. I'll admit season 3 had some really weak storylines, but season 4 had a perfect groove. Quality tv.

PostPosted: Mon July 31, 2017 9:54 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Anders wrote:
Quality tv.

Yeah. BAD quality.

PostPosted: Mon July 31, 2017 10:06 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

PostPosted: Tue August 01, 2017 9:31 pm 
Major Dude

Anders wrote:
daft twat wrote:
Anders wrote:

Absolutely. Those two are just a waste of time. I like Red and her crew, and both the latinas and the black girls. The main character has become more and more of a disappointment though.

Yeah, she was hardly even in this last season.

PostPosted: Wed August 02, 2017 1:49 am 
Rank This Poster

One episode to go. The penultimate ep was the biggest snoozer of the season. Hopefully it ends in a satisfactory way. I do enjoy having it as a summer series.

PostPosted: Thu August 03, 2017 1:04 am 
Rank This Poster

The finale was a little underwhelming, but I enjoyed the season overall. I'd be quite happy to continue this summer relationship for another 5 years.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment