The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1197 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 60  Next
 Post subject: TVG Presents: All Things Horror.
PostPosted: Wed March 10, 2021 4:24 am 
jeeeesus relax already

A thread to discuss movies, books, comic books, and anything that comes from our beloved genre.

I just finished the Wrong Turn reboot and gotta say, it was fun. They really went for something different than the previous one ( i only saw the first one), which seemed like a blend between Texas Massacre and The Hill Have Eyes.

Matthew Modine is good, but damn that Charlotte Vega is something else.

Anyway, it might be a little long, but the gore is good. And if you saw the original, this has nothing to do really, its a very different movie.

Post subject: Re: TVG Presents: All Things Horror.
PostPosted: Wed March 10, 2021 11:02 am 
She / Her

extremely happy to see this thread! I'm a horror movie junkie :heartbeat:

PostPosted: Wed March 10, 2021 1:09 pm 
Future Drummer

Could probably merge some recent posts the from List Your Top 10 Favorite Horror Movies thread.

Shudder has The Devils which has been on my 'To Watch' list for ages, hopefully get around to it in the next few weeks.

PostPosted: Wed March 10, 2021 1:31 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

i would kill for Shudder to be available in my country. I havent seen Host yet, but that appeared on Netflix here. Weird. And i need to see La Llorona too.

PostPosted: Wed March 10, 2021 2:03 pm 
She / Her

Host is excellent, and nice and short -- I'm all for short and streamlined horror movies.

I've been on a bit of an Australian horror kick since liking 'Rogue', 'Dead Calm', 'These Final Hours', 'Hounds of Love', 'Killing Ground', 'Relic.' I do like the disturbing, gritty realist stuff so while I wouldn't say I *enjoy* 'Snowtown', I admire it and it hits a sweet spot for me in terms of aesthetic.

'Wake in Fright' was amazing.

'Picnic at Hanging Rock', while I respect its place in classic Australian cinema, kind of bored me to tears.

'The Loved Ones' had some great setpieces and I was cheering the third act, but there could have been a bit more meat on the bones of the premise for me (the "crazy woman scorned" trope is sooo stigmatizing, so it needs more than that to really get me). Pretty good though.

Basically I don't think Australia is capable of making a bad horror movie. Change my mind.

PostPosted: Wed March 10, 2021 5:25 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

I was thinking about watching Dead Calm again, i saw it as a kid and loooved it.

The Loved Ones was so fucking good...i prefer that one overs Devil´s Candy, which was just ok. Ill look for the other ones!!! i guess Wolf Creek has to be on that list too!

Ey, the new Wrong Turn was pretty fun you should check it out.

PostPosted: Wed March 10, 2021 6:06 pm 
She / Her

I'll give Wrong Turn ago but I'm waiting till I don't have to pay so much for it

I actually really liked Devil's Candy, haha (forgot it was Australian)

PostPosted: Wed March 10, 2021 6:20 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

its not bad at all, but i absolutely adored The Loved Ones and was expecting more. Either way Sean Byrne is such a talent.

PostPosted: Wed March 10, 2021 10:01 pm 
She / Her

obligatory Lake Mungo mention, how could I forget about it?

I follow SpookyAstronauts on YouTube and she recommended 'The Tunnel' in her best Australian horror list; I love found footage so I was fully expecting to love it, and kind of didn't quite buy the acting.

PostPosted: Thu March 11, 2021 2:53 am 
jeeeesus relax already

Oh yeah that Lake Mungo is another i have to see...

Im super exited about Son, with Andi Matichak. Seems like a very cool one.

PostPosted: Thu March 11, 2021 12:25 pm 
She / Her

yes I'm so looking forward to Son! I have heard some random things about wack sound mixing; one or two people have said the sound is quiet during some scenes then gets painfully loud for jump scares, which is not good news for my ridiculous startle reflexes... but hopefully that issue gets fixed before it generally releases

PostPosted: Fri March 12, 2021 1:13 am 
jeeeesus relax already

Ms Harmless wrote:
yes I'm so looking forward to Son! I have heard some random things about wack sound mixing; one or two people have said the sound is quiet during some scenes then gets painfully loud for jump scares, which is not good news for my ridiculous startle reflexes... but hopefully that issue gets fixed before it generally releases

i didnt know that...ey you should see Alone....have you seen it? its wonderful.

PostPosted: Fri March 12, 2021 11:24 am 
She / Her

VinylGuy wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:

no I don't think I've seen that yet, I'll look for it

PostPosted: Fri March 12, 2021 3:40 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Also, if you like Podcasts you should check out The Boo Crew. Its wonderful, the hosts really love horror and the guests are top notch.

PostPosted: Fri March 12, 2021 7:47 pm 
She / Her

I don't listen to podcasts but I do literally hit play on certain YouTubers chatting and just listen to zone out and relax, so I feel like I've been sleeping on podcasts really

"Don't Go into the F***ing Attic" on Shudder is so hilariously bad I'm still trying to make sense of it the next day; if you're trying to write horror (like me) and suffer with low self-confidence (like me) watch it! I promise you it will make you feel like you are God

PostPosted: Fri March 12, 2021 7:49 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Ha!
Ill look for the trailer at least!

PostPosted: Fri March 12, 2021 9:37 pm 
She / Her

Ms Harmless wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:

no I don't think I've seen that yet, I'll look for it

is it the John Hyams one?

PostPosted: Fri March 12, 2021 11:52 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Ms Harmless wrote:
I don't listen to podcasts but I do literally hit play on certain YouTubers chatting and just listen to zone out and relax, so I feel like I've been sleeping on podcasts really

"Don't Go into the F***ing Attic" on Shudder is so hilariously bad I'm still trying to make sense of it the next day; if you're trying to write horror (like me) and suffer with low self-confidence (like me) watch it! I promise you it will make you feel like you are God

Not to derail this thread, but if you don’t mind me asking, what made you shift from poetry to horror?

PostPosted: Sat March 13, 2021 1:52 am 
She / Her

Bi_3 wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:

Not to derail this thread, but if you don’t mind me asking, what made you shift from poetry to horror?

trauma lol

I love, consume and (try to) write both :)

I always loved horror very selectively, since The X-Files and The Blair Witch Project, but I thought I wasn't a "horror fan" because I didn't care about the Universal Monsters or 80s camp slashers

then like five or six years ago my good friend Dee started to tell me "if you like... then you'll like..." a bunch of times, write me lists, and I was hooked; 2014 was an amazing year to throw myself in

I wasn't joking when I said trauma lol but suffice it to say I was going through a lot, and I fell in love with its therapeutic value

I'm currently writing what I think is going to be a YA-ish verse novel in the horror genre

PostPosted: Sat March 13, 2021 4:16 am 
Future Drummer

Ms Harmless wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:

trauma lol

I love, consume and (try to) write both :)

I always loved horror very selectively, since The X-Files and The Blair Witch Project, but I thought I wasn't a "horror fan" because I didn't care about the Universal Monsters or 80s camp slashers

then like five or six years ago my good friend Dee started to tell me "if you like... then you'll like..." a bunch of times, write me lists, and I was hooked; 2014 was an amazing year to throw myself in

I wasn't joking when I said trauma lol but suffice it to say I was going through a lot, and I fell in love with its therapeutic value

I'm currently writing what I think is going to be a YA-ish verse novel in the horror genre

Your 3666th post, well played ;)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1197 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 60  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment