The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 60  Next
 Post subject: Re: TVG Presents: All Things Horror.
PostPosted: Sat March 13, 2021 5:15 pm 
She / Her

oasisfan35 wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:
I don't listen to podcasts but I do literally hit play on certain YouTubers chatting and just listen to zone out and relax, so I feel like I've been sleeping on podcasts really

"Don't Go into the F***ing Attic" on Shudder is so hilariously bad I'm still trying to make sense of it the next day; if you're trying to write horror (like me) and suffer with low self-confidence (like me) watch it! I promise you it will make you feel like you are God

Not to derail this thread, but if you don’t mind me asking, what made you shift from poetry to horror?

trauma lol

I love, consume and (try to) write both :)

I always loved horror very selectively, since The X-Files and The Blair Witch Project, but I thought I wasn't a "horror fan" because I didn't care about the Universal Monsters or 80s camp slashers

then like five or six years ago my good friend Dee started to tell me "if you like... then you'll like..." a bunch of times, write me lists, and I was hooked; 2014 was an amazing year to throw myself in

I wasn't joking when I said trauma lol but suffice it to say I was going through a lot, and I fell in love with its therapeutic value

I'm currently writing what I think is going to be a YA-ish verse novel in the horror genre

Your 3666th post, well played ;)

I obviously planned that :)

PostPosted: Sat March 13, 2021 8:25 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Ms Harmless wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:
yes I'm so looking forward to Son! I have heard some random things about wack sound mixing; one or two people have said the sound is quiet during some scenes then gets painfully loud for jump scares, which is not good news for my ridiculous startle reflexes... but hopefully that issue gets fixed before it generally releases

i didnt know that...ey you should see Alone....have you seen it? its wonderful.

no I don't think I've seen that yet, I'll look for it

is it the John Hyams one?

yeah! its super well done!

PostPosted: Sat March 13, 2021 8:27 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Ms Harmless wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:
I don't listen to podcasts but I do literally hit play on certain YouTubers chatting and just listen to zone out and relax, so I feel like I've been sleeping on podcasts really

"Don't Go into the F***ing Attic" on Shudder is so hilariously bad I'm still trying to make sense of it the next day; if you're trying to write horror (like me) and suffer with low self-confidence (like me) watch it! I promise you it will make you feel like you are God

Not to derail this thread, but if you don’t mind me asking, what made you shift from poetry to horror?

trauma lol

I love, consume and (try to) write both :)

I always loved horror very selectively, since The X-Files and The Blair Witch Project, but I thought I wasn't a "horror fan" because I didn't care about the Universal Monsters or 80s camp slashers

then like five or six years ago my good friend Dee started to tell me "if you like... then you'll like..." a bunch of times, write me lists, and I was hooked; 2014 was an amazing year to throw myself in

I wasn't joking when I said trauma lol but suffice it to say I was going through a lot, and I fell in love with its therapeutic value

I'm currently writing what I think is going to be a YA-ish verse novel in the horror genre

that sounds super cool!

Ive been a horror fan since i was like 9...super intrigued by the VHS covers. I had a older group of friends and we would rent everything from Nightmare on elm street to pet sematary to fucking Night Of The Living Dead...

so yeah, im a huuuuuge fan.

PostPosted: Tue March 16, 2021 2:03 am 
She / Her

I just watched "The Field Guide to Evil", an anthology of 8 stories based on folk tales from different international directors; I really liked it, which pleases me greatly both because I adore folk horror and Shudder content has been really ropey lately

PostPosted: Tue March 16, 2021 3:25 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

yeah shudder seems super cool.

PostPosted: Fri March 19, 2021 10:37 pm 
She / Her

Rotten Tomatoes led me to think that "Come True" would be better than it was - it was weirdly superficial, but looked nice

"The Block Island Sound" is worth a watch; a spooky small town genre-splicer

PostPosted: Fri March 19, 2021 11:07 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Harmless, have you seen Gareth Evan’s “Apostle”?

PostPosted: Sat March 20, 2021 8:52 am 
She / Her

Bi_3 wrote:
Harmless, have you seen Gareth Evan’s “Apostle”?

yes, I remember liking it quite a bit! kinda like folk horror mashed up with Saw / mechanical torture horror (not my thing at all, usually)

I think its characterisation was a bit thin and maybe that comes with the territory if it's a genre mashup like that

PostPosted: Sun March 21, 2021 4:07 am 
jeeeesus relax already

Son.

Jesus, that was wonderful! I was interesting on this one, but i can tell you guys this is s must. Its super well shot, beautiful framing and gorgeous photography, super moody and bloody. Andi Matichak is a star really i cant wait to see her on Halloween Kills.

That ending :shock: :shock: :shock:

PostPosted: Sun March 21, 2021 10:45 pm 
She / Her

was that thing about the sound mixing incorrect?

PostPosted: Sun March 21, 2021 11:38 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

what thing?

PostPosted: Sun March 21, 2021 11:40 pm 
Future Drummer

I suppose this would fit here, watched the 2008 doc H.H. Holmes: America's First Serial Killer on Prime last night.I never read much around Rob Zombie's influences for House of 1,000 Corpses and the characters but I could see the possibility of the Firefly house and Dr. Satan as relative corollaries.

PostPosted: Mon March 22, 2021 12:00 am 
jeeeesus relax already

fuuuck i didnt know about that doc but ill check it out!

I also been wanting to see Rob´s House of 1,000 Corpses again and the last Texas Chainsaw movie.

PostPosted: Mon March 22, 2021 10:08 am 
She / Her

Ms Harmless wrote:
yes I'm so looking forward to Son! I have heard some random things about wack sound mixing; one or two people have said the sound is quiet during some scenes then gets painfully loud for jump scares, which is not good news for my ridiculous startle reflexes... but hopefully that issue gets fixed before it generally releases

sorry, this thing

PostPosted: Mon March 22, 2021 10:16 am 
She / Her

I saw Chris Stuckmann recommend "The Empty Man" as a hidden gem that nobody saw and is rated poorly by many people, but is actually highly ambitious and "deserves a cult following"

so I watched it last night, and he was right; at 2.5 hours long I wouldn't normally dream of watching any movie at that length, but this kept me gripped and at the edge of my seat; it didn't feel over-long at all; I really liked it

also, it seemed like kind of a contemporary love letter to "The Wicker Man", which I appreciated

it's funny, absurd, tense, beautifully shot, and scary, with a few set pieces that blew me away

PostPosted: Mon March 22, 2021 2:44 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Ms Harmless wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:

sorry, this thing

well now that you mention this, yes there were moments were the dialogue was super low. But it was super noticeable, and it didnt hurt the fact that the movie is great.

PostPosted: Mon March 22, 2021 2:48 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

Ms Harmless wrote:
Rotten Tomatoes led me to think that "Come True" would be better than it was - it was weirdly superficial, but looked nice

"The Block Island Sound" is worth a watch; a spooky small town genre-splicer

Been wanting to check out Block Island Sound. Spent many a summer in that area.

PostPosted: Mon March 22, 2021 2:49 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

I agree with Ms Harmless, Come True was boring. It felt just too weird and the pace super slow, and then we arrive to a weird conclusion.

PostPosted: Fri March 26, 2021 5:47 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Started S2 of Servant, i hope it does goes to some place, because it seems kinda unfocused.

Also, Calls ep 1 was alright. Not sure if the whole season is going to be like this, but this one was fun.

PostPosted: Fri March 26, 2021 8:08 pm 
A Return To Form

VinylGuy wrote:
fuuuck i didnt know about that doc but ill check it out!

I also been wanting to see Rob´s House of 1,000 Corpses again and the last Texas Chainsaw movie.

That's funny because I think Leatherface (2017) is what a Texas Chainsaw film would look like if Rob Zombie directed it, rather than just ripping TCM films off in his own. I hated it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 60  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment