The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Movie: Ant-Man & The Wasp: Quantumania (02-17-2023)
PostPosted: Thu January 12, 2023 1:45 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

The Boys season 2 finale had a big "Girls kick ass" moment and it worked because it came together pretty naturally. I cheered when they started kicking the shit out of stormfront.

The difference is just the quality of the writing.

PostPosted: Thu January 12, 2023 1:49 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

I think it's silly to say that anybody who thought that moment was cringy only thinks that way because they're sexist. It obviously stands out in an awkward way

That said,

Jorge wrote:
What Argo is missing is that Endgame is essentially 3 hours of a bunch of high-fives for MCU fans; while that specific moment did feel artificial and awkward, it's in keeping with the rest of the movie. My little sister loved that moment

PostPosted: Thu January 12, 2023 2:06 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

Wait, we've talked about this before!?

PostPosted: Thu January 12, 2023 2:14 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

VG didn't even bring that scene up as an example of bad writing. He brought it up because bada used the term "M-She-U" when it was mentioned that Cassie might become Ant-Man. We weren't having a conversation about poor writing in the MCU, something that's been happening for eight movies since End Game. We were talking about women replacing men in the MCU.

"Chicks will not replace us!"

PostPosted: Thu January 12, 2023 2:24 pm 

Yeah I said I thought it was silly. I even added a lol to show I was being silly but I can certainly see why you couldn't pass up an opportunity to put me in my place as a white supremacist. We all know you are one of the good ones B. Whatever horrible shit you did in your past that you are overcompensating for has been erased. Sleep well solider.

PostPosted: Thu January 12, 2023 2:36 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

:roll:

PostPosted: Thu January 12, 2023 3:27 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

i dont think anyone is painting you as a white supremacist

for VG to complain how women are taking over for men in the MCU is to completely ignore the source matieral

hulk - she hulk
wolverine - laura (x-23)
hawkeye - kate bishop
giantman - stature
captain marvel - captain marvel
Spider-man - spider-gwen

the list goes on as examples to get new stories out of their characters

PostPosted: Thu January 12, 2023 3:37 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Why do you keep harping about source material? The same trend in movies is also happening in comics. It's the same trend or mandate existing concurrently in two different mediums, from the same company no less. Why would it be different in one but not the other?

They aren't arbitrarily plucking various storylines from comics (they barely use storylines from comics anyway, and when they do, they change them a lot). They are selecting or curating specific ones to the exclusion of others, to suit a specific agenda. "But this exists in the comics" doesn't really matter.

We all know there are women in comics. This is not new information, and no one actually has a problem with it, but you have to believe that is the problem or your entire worldview of plucky rebels vs. evil nazis collapses.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Thu January 12, 2023 3:54 pm 

I actually read the Kate Bishop books and Jane Foster Thor books and enjoy the hell out of them but the fact is most female analogue books have low numbers and are cancelled quickly. A Force didn't even last 12 issues. The idea that replacing all the guy heroes is some sort of no brainer business decision or an inevitable natural evolution is goofy. Of course its an agenda. It could even be a good thing I don't know or even care but the idea that we can't even make the observation without the purity police coming out in full force is bonkers. There's no point talking about anything.

PostPosted: Thu January 12, 2023 3:58 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

To make it clear:

Im not against women taking over the MCU. Im glad its happening and i just wished it was handled in a better way, or one that didnt felt exploitative or hollow like the one in EndGame.

I would have liked Marvel doing a Black Widow movie in the past, when it made sense. They didnt do it because they felt it wouldnt sell and that made me angry back in the day.

I know the source material, and like all comics, they are moments were its great and moments were its not, but so far i loved Kate Bishop and Yelena Belova. Im not crazy at all with She Hulk and still expect much more from Captain Marvel.

PostPosted: Thu January 12, 2023 4:01 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

bada wrote:
I actually read the Kate Bishop books and Jane Foster Thor books and enjoy the hell out of them but the fact is most female analogue books have low numbers and are cancelled quickly. A Force didn't even last 12 issues. The idea that replacing all the guy heroes is some sort of no brainer business decision or an inevitable natural evolution is goofy. Of course its an agenda. It could even be a good thing I don't know or even care but the idea that we can't even make the observation without the purity police coming out in full force is bonkers. There's no point talking about anything.

personally i think its all cyclical. every now and then you need a break from the established heroes and bring in fresh takes but they almost always wind back to the default state. take cap for instance. i liked the falcon becoming captain america for a while and the comics read pretty well but at the end of the day it always comes back to steve. i like the evolution of jane as thor to valkryie and i though laura was a bad ass replacement for logan while he was dead (i still dont like that they both go by wolverine).

PostPosted: Thu January 12, 2023 4:04 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Jane is a good example of what im saying:

Her arc in the comics is great. Her arc in the movie is embarrassingly bad. I was really angry when i saw it because it felt a missed chance of building something awesome.

PostPosted: Thu January 12, 2023 4:08 pm 

It mostly comes down to the original actors started costing too much so why not replace them with younger cheaper talent and win twitter while they're at it.

PostPosted: Thu January 12, 2023 4:15 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

It's probably too late, but they would have been much better served by investing some time and money creating new characters instead of just making a new version of old characters. It's such a terrible idea, but it's also the cheapest and easiest direction to go, so of course they are gonna go with that.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Thu January 12, 2023 4:20 pm 

Agreed the explosion of analogue characters of any and all genders and creeds is the worst thing to happen to Superhero's in any medium. Really Marvel is just trying to catch up to DC. The Bat-Family has like two dozen members. How Gotham isn't the safest place on earth I have no idea.

PostPosted: Thu January 12, 2023 4:21 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

VinylGuy wrote:
Jane is a good example of what im saying:

Her arc in the comics is great. Her arc in the movie is embarrassingly bad. I was really angry when i saw it because it felt a missed chance of building something awesome.

i am still catching up but not all the way there in the comics

bada wrote:
It mostly comes down to the original actors started costing too much so why not replace them with younger cheaper talent and win twitter while they're at it.

as bad as people rag on thor the dark world i thought love and thunder was 10000 times worse.

PostPosted: Thu January 12, 2023 4:23 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

bada wrote:
Agreed the explosion of analogue characters of any and all genders and creeds is the worst thing to happen to Superhero's in any medium. Really Marvel is just trying to catch up to DC. The Bat-Family has like two dozen members. How Gotham isn't the safest place on earth I have no idea.

:lol:

yeah the bat family really suck at their job

PostPosted: Thu January 12, 2023 4:25 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

B wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
Mecca wrote:
Nerds are complaining about MODOK’s design of all characters

really? i thought it looked alright

He looks good masked up, but look at him following Kang after Janet says "you cannot trust him."

Seems they are changing the origins and will be played by Corey Stoll as Darren Cross again.

PostPosted: Thu January 12, 2023 6:08 pm 
slower than 82% of US

VinylGuy wrote:
B wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
Mecca wrote:
Nerds are complaining about MODOK’s design of all characters

really? i thought it looked alright

He looks good masked up, but look at him following Kang after Janet says "you cannot trust him."

Seems they are changing the origins and will be played by Corey Stoll as Darren Cross again.

I kind of like that as an explanation of what happened to Yellowjacket. I always wondered if you stopped shrinking once reaching the quantum realm

PostPosted: Thu January 12, 2023 6:53 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Looking around, it seems that Paul Rudd's Marvel contract expires with this movie.

I'm thinkin he dead.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment