The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post subject: Re: Shit I Learned From TMZ
PostPosted: Sun September 05, 2021 7:11 pm 
Production Police

So the headline is "Olivia Munn is likely pregnant with John Mulaney's baby"

But really what i want to talk about is: This is one of the rare celebrity gossip things that actually moves my needle. Like I have a knee jerk reaction and opinion, as if I know either of these people.

Maybe it's because I'm a huge fan of Mulaney's comedy? Maybe it's because we both identify as addicts, I feel some misplaced sense of familiarity with his life?

In any event, my real question is: Why do we have the pseudo-relationships with celebrities? And are they 100% bad, or is there maybe some good in our cultural connections to famous people none of us know?

PostPosted: Mon September 06, 2021 3:28 am 
slower than 82% of US

tragabigzanda wrote:

But really what i want to talk about is: This is one of the rare celebrity gossip things that actually moves my needle. Like I have a knee jerk reaction and opinion, as if I know either of these people.

Maybe it's because I'm a huge fan of Mulaney's comedy? Maybe it's because we both identify as addicts, I feel some misplaced sense of familiarity with his life?

In any event, my real question is: Why do we have the pseudo-relationships with celebrities? And are they 100% bad, or is there maybe some good in our cultural connections to famous people none of us know?

Has Tom Hanks had a controversy?

PostPosted: Mon September 06, 2021 3:43 am 
Production Police

Dragnet is criminally underrated and he never talks about it?

PostPosted: Mon September 06, 2021 3:48 am 
mXn

tragabigzanda wrote:

They’re just people

PostPosted: Mon September 06, 2021 12:05 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

tragabigzanda wrote:

We have them because human beings (in general) enjoy connection and desire to feel understood. When we perceive that understanding in someone else we are attracted to it.

I don't believe they are necessarily 100% bad. I'm not sure I believe they're mostly bad. Like anything they can be unhealthy but I don't think that's the default setting.

PostPosted: Mon September 06, 2021 1:07 pm 
mXn

Never meet your hero(s)

PostPosted: Mon September 06, 2021 1:08 pm 
mXn

Except Jeff Ament … he was pretty cool

PostPosted: Sun February 27, 2022 6:38 pm 
Production Police

epilogue wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

We have them because human beings (in general) enjoy connection and desire to feel understood. When we perceive that understanding in someone else we are attracted to it.

I don't believe they are necessarily 100% bad. I'm not sure I believe they're mostly bad. Like anything they can be unhealthy but I don't think that's the default setting.

It’s taken me a minute to articulate this, but:

I really don’t like seeing pics of Mulaney’s baby in promo photos (heavily featured for both his standup tour promotions, and this week’s SNL gig). His intervention and sobriety seem to be the driving narrative behind this promotional cycle, and the kid seems to be an extension of that: “John’s sober! He’s a dad now! Come hear some new jokes.”

But knowing that this was essentially a love child that was borne out of wedlock — don’t care about that one iota, morally speaking — and that it was a huge part of his divorce with his former wife, who was herself featured in prior standup routines and promotional cycles — the whole thing just feels cheap and gratuitous. Like he’s trying to use his kid to reframe the narrative.

PostPosted: Sun February 27, 2022 10:53 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

I’m with trag. Everything he is doing marketing wise feels kind of cheap

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment