Switch to full style
Books, movies, television...
Post a reply

Re: The future of movie theaters

Wed August 05, 2020 2:14 pm

Jorge wrote:
Jorge wrote:Am I a sucker for not canceling my movie theater membership yet? Supposedly my benefits (4 tickets a month) are accumulating and I'll be able to use them when the theaters open back up, plus they're desperate to keep my business so they keep throwing in free things (concession stand combos! more tickets!) in increasingly unhinged "PLEASE DON'T CANCEL US" marketing emails.

I have now accumulated 16 free (actually half-price because the cost of membership is roughly equivalent to the cost of 1 ticket) movie tickets and two free concession stand combos I can claim when theaters re-open. My options are to keep paying the monthly membership and keep accumulating stuff, or to pause my monthly payment (which I can re-activate when things get back to normal and still use all the stuff I've accumulated). I could also just cancel my subscription but then I can't use all the tickets I've been paying for during these months of lockdown.

This is what they call sitting in the catbird seat.

Wed August 05, 2020 2:55 pm

Keep paying

Wed August 05, 2020 4:05 pm

Keep it, take the maids along when they open back up

Wed August 05, 2020 9:24 pm

i want to go to the theater so badly

Wed August 05, 2020 9:48 pm

lennytheweedwhacker wrote:i want to go to the theater so badly

You'll be fine

Wed August 05, 2020 9:51 pm

Same

Wed August 05, 2020 11:02 pm

bart wrote:Keep it, take the maids along when they open back up

:lol:

Wed August 05, 2020 11:17 pm

My wife has taken the kids to the movies twice over the past few weeks. Problem is - now they've seen pretty much everything new that'll be out in the foreseeable future

Sat August 08, 2020 2:16 am

Are local movie theater is doing some pretty cool things.

They are doing a few things to keep the lights on including showing classic movies, enhancing their food ordering service (they brought in a smoker and sell brisket outside now), hosting live music, and you can rent the theater our for $150 for a private screening for you and your quarantine buddies/family.

Pretty cool.

Sat August 08, 2020 2:17 am

That affordable rental is pretty sweet. Can you basically play any movie you want?

Sat August 08, 2020 2:21 am

i heard huntsville was doing something similar with renting out theaters, but i didn't look into the details

Sat August 08, 2020 2:22 am

tragabigzanda wrote:That affordable rental is pretty sweet. Can you basically play any movie you want?

Last i heard, no. Whatever they are showing that week.

Right now they are showing ET, Waiting for the Barbarians, Little Miss Sunshine, Burnt Orange Theory, and Fossil Posse.

Looks like they change up weekly or so.

Last week was Kung FU Panda, Overboard, and enter the dragon.

Sat August 08, 2020 2:26 am

right before covid hit i bought a ticket for a special screening of close encounters of the third kind...i know it was supposed to show sometime in september or october, but i'm guessing it will be pushed

Sat August 08, 2020 4:01 am

tragabigzanda wrote:That affordable rental is pretty sweet. Can you basically play any movie you want?

My wife did this for my birthday when we were dating, at the Somerville Theater. Not sure how much it cost. We watched Major League and The Sandlot.

Sat August 08, 2020 4:07 am

Simple Torture wrote:

My wife did this for my birthday when we were dating, at the Somerville Theater. Not sure how much it cost. We watched Major League and The Sandlot.

That’s awesome! Is that the one in Davis Sq?

Sat August 08, 2020 4:13 am

tragabigzanda wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:

That’s awesome! Is that the one in Davis Sq?

You got it. Then we went to the Burren and things get hazy after that.

Wed October 21, 2020 3:23 pm

A development under construction in my town has put up a Drive-In Theater. They just put up a screen, and all the projection equipment is in a steel shipping container. Probably cost them next to nothing.

It's up for a film festival, but they said they're going to keep it up afterwards to show movies during COVID.

https://chapelboro.com/news/arts/new-dr ... hapel-hill

Wed November 25, 2020 5:09 pm

B wrote:A development under construction in my town has put up a Drive-In Theater. They just put up a screen, and all the projection equipment is in a steel shipping container. Probably cost them next to nothing.

It's up for a film festival, but they said they're going to keep it up afterwards to show movies during COVID.

We were gonna go this weekend. My family of 5 would have to $72 to sit in our car and watch The Croods.

Wed November 25, 2020 5:12 pm

Mrs. Bam just bought like a 10-pack of movie tickets that we MIGHT be able to use before we both retire...

Thu November 26, 2020 3:10 am

B wrote:
B wrote:A development under construction in my town has put up a Drive-In Theater. They just put up a screen, and all the projection equipment is in a steel shipping container. Probably cost them next to nothing.

We were gonna go this weekend. My family of 5 would have to $72 to sit in our car and watch The Croods.

what happens if you need to take a sh*t?
Post a reply