Switch to full style
Books, movies, television...
Post a reply

Re: The future of movie theaters

Wed May 13, 2020 3:31 am

Simple Torture wrote:This certainly seems like something that's going to have effects felt for a while to come. This was supposed to come out in theaters of October 2021, and (according to the article) Disney was going to make $75 million in distro rights plus ticket sales, and now they're banking on people signing up for their service and forgetting to cancel after the free trial instead.

Oof

Wed May 13, 2020 3:49 am

i think there might be a resurgence of drive-in movie theaters

then we can hide in our mobile lairs of solitude, while still getting out of the haus

and fight the endless undying urge to whack off while looking at other people sitting in their cars

Wed May 13, 2020 3:55 am

Dark turn there dude.

Wed May 13, 2020 8:03 pm

Nice to see Girls Trip make the 4th post of this thread

I love going to see movies.

Wed June 10, 2020 2:35 pm

So the Bob's Burgers movie was supposed to be released in July. It was postponed to next April. This makes no sense. The only people seeing that movie are die hard fans of the show. Just release it to stream and make your money that way

Wed June 10, 2020 3:14 pm

E.H. Ruddock wrote:So the Bob's Burgers movie was supposed to be released in July. It was postponed to next April. This makes no sense. The only people seeing that movie are die hard fans of the show. Just release it to stream and make your money that way

Also it's not like the characters are unable to do the PR rounds because of the pandemic.

Wed June 10, 2020 4:37 pm

E.H. Ruddock wrote:So the Bob's Burgers movie was supposed to be released in July. It was postponed to next April. This makes no sense. The only people seeing that movie are die hard fans of the show. Just release it to stream and make your money that way

I have, can, and do happily pay $20 to stream movies that were supposed to be in theatres right now. Makes zero sense to me why studios refuse to release to on demand streaming.

Tue August 04, 2020 10:32 pm

Another new distribution model: the live-action Mulan movie will premiere on Disney+ next month...but you've got to pay $30 to add it to your account. I can't wait for my kids to order this: https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/disney ... 234725409/

EDIT: This is bascially what Joey floated in the post right above mine, just for a higher price.

Tue August 04, 2020 10:36 pm

Pretty sure the future of movie theaters is in my living room

Tue August 04, 2020 11:04 pm

Simple Torture wrote:Another new distribution model: the live-action Mulan movie will premiere on Disney+ next month...but you've got to pay $30 to add it to your account. I can't wait for my kids to order this: https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/disney ... 234725409/

EDIT: This is bascially what Joey floated in the post right above mine, just for a higher price.

Studio expectations for tent pole movies is a billion dollars. Anything less is a loss. You'll never get that kind of number on demand even at $100 price point. My guess is Disney thinks Mulan is a turkey so just release it and see if people are willing to pay extra for content on Disney+. The only way Joey's $20 formula works is if they start making $250 million dollar movies for $50 million....or in other words making it a TV show.

Tue August 04, 2020 11:11 pm

tragabigzanda wrote:Pretty sure the future of movie theaters is in my living room

I can't wait to watch Tenet on my couch next month

Tue August 04, 2020 11:34 pm

:(

Wed August 05, 2020 12:05 am

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:Pretty sure the future of movie theaters is in my living room

I can't wait to watch Tenet on my couch next month

Let’s organize an RM viewing party

Wed August 05, 2020 3:42 am

there's just something about getting out and going to a theater to me

Wed August 05, 2020 4:13 am

lennytheweedwhacker wrote:there's just something about getting out and going to a theater to me

to you what?

Wed August 05, 2020 4:47 am

to him for happy duh

Wed August 05, 2020 12:01 pm

All I want to know is if that McDonald’s sauce made famous by Rick and Morty is coming back for Mulan.

Wed August 05, 2020 12:34 pm

Jammer XCI wrote:All I want to know is if that McDonald’s sauce made famous by Rick and Morty is coming back for Mulan.

Rick and Morty is such a hard show to be a fan of. What an embarrassing fan base.

Wed August 05, 2020 1:07 pm

Jorge wrote:Am I a sucker for not canceling my movie theater membership yet? Supposedly my benefits (4 tickets a month) are accumulating and I'll be able to use them when the theaters open back up, plus they're desperate to keep my business so they keep throwing in free things (concession stand combos! more tickets!) in increasingly unhinged "PLEASE DON'T CANCEL US" marketing emails.

I have now accumulated 16 free (actually half-price because the cost of membership is roughly equivalent to the cost of 1 ticket) movie tickets and two free concession stand combos I can claim when theaters re-open. My options are to keep paying the monthly membership and keep accumulating stuff, or to pause my monthly payment (which I can re-activate when things get back to normal and still use all the stuff I've accumulated). I could also just cancel my subscription but then I can't use all the tickets I've been paying for during these months of lockdown.

Wed August 05, 2020 2:11 pm

Jammer XCI wrote:All I want to know is if that McDonald’s sauce made famous by Rick and Morty is coming back for Mulan.

Szechuan sauce
Post a reply