The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 865 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 44  Next
 Post subject: Re: Movie: Dune (2020)
PostPosted: Fri October 22, 2021 3:28 am 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

dimejinky99 wrote:
Ensign9 wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
Burt hates it. That’s gotta be a good sign.

Seriously though. They’re putting it on hbo?

We’re never gonna see the second part made now are we?

In a recent interview, the Warner Bros CEO pretty strongly implied we’re getting part 2. I think part 2 is almost a certainty. I’d love to see at least five movies covering the next few books but that’s probably a pipe dream. HBO Max series might be a good bet.

I think it being on HBO Max is actually a good thing. You’re more likely to pull in an audience that isn’t primed to seek out Dune in theaters. You’ll get bigger numbers that way. I plan to play it on repeat for 30 days to pump up the numbers.

That’s good news.

HBO isn’t everywhere though. It’s only launching in Europe this season I think.
So how is it they make the money back and a profit enough to do the second?

As for the other books I got stuck on the one after dune. It’s really trippy and Paul’s a prick who hates his sister and loads of galaxy mapping mind trip stuff

Is it filmable? Probably. Will anyone who hasn’t read and is devoted to all the books know what’s going on? Very Probably not

If you think Messiah is hard to film, just wait until you read God Emperor wherein the main character is a sandworm.

Last edited by Ensign9 on Fri October 22, 2021 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri October 22, 2021 3:28 am 
Looks Like a Cat

Good not great. I think what was off putting was that Paul didn’t sound like anyone else. Not his parents or the other members of his house. He sounded very generic American voice-y while everyone else felt natural

PostPosted: Fri October 22, 2021 3:31 am 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

Bi_3 wrote:
Good not great. I think what was off putting was that Paul didn’t sound like anyone else. Not his parents or the other members of his house. He sounded very generic American voice-y while everyone else felt natural

I’m definitely not fully sold on Chalamet yet either. There were a few stretches where he was really good, though.

Last edited by Ensign9 on Fri October 22, 2021 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri October 22, 2021 3:33 am 
what on earth am I talking about

Ensign9 wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
Ensign9 wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

In a recent interview, the Warner Bros CEO pretty strongly implied we’re getting part 2. I think part 2 is almost a certainty. I’d love to see at least five movies covering the next few books but that’s probably a pipe dream. HBO Max series might be a good bet.

I think it being on HBO Max is actually a good thing. You’re more likely to pull in an audience that isn’t primed to seek out Dune in theaters. You’ll get bigger numbers that way. I plan to play it on repeat for 30 days to pump up the numbers.

That’s good news.

As for the other books I got stuck on the one after dune. It’s really trippy and Paul’s a prick who hates his sister and loads of galaxy mapping mind trip stuff

Is it filmable? Probably. Will anyone who hasn’t read and is devoted to all the books know what’s going on? Very Probably not

If you think Messiah is hard to film, just wait until you read God Emperor wherein the main character is a sandworm.

You just sold me on that. I’m in :)

PostPosted: Fri October 22, 2021 3:34 am 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

BurtReynolds wrote:
It does kinda feel like a pilot to a TV show in some ways. It doesn't look very expensive either.

Did you see it in IMAX? Looks tremendous (and expensive).

PostPosted: Fri October 22, 2021 3:35 am 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

dimejinky99 wrote:
Ensign9 wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
Ensign9 wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

That’s good news.

You just sold me on that. I’m in :)

I’d recommend reading all the main books. They drop in quality a little once Herbert’s son takes over but the story itself is pretty stunning in its scope.

PostPosted: Fri October 22, 2021 3:39 am 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

I just started a rewatch on HBO Max. The more I think about it, the more it feels like this part would’ve benefitted from another 30 minutes to break up the nonstop exposition and allow things to breathe a little.

PostPosted: Fri October 22, 2021 4:01 am 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

Ensign9 wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

Interview: https://deadline.com/2021/10/dune-matri ... 234859504/

PostPosted: Fri October 22, 2021 5:10 am 
slower than 82% of US

Man, I do not understand the appeal of Chalamet based on this. He seems very wooden especially compared to the actors he shares scenes with.

PostPosted: Fri October 22, 2021 6:21 am 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

Mecca wrote:
Man, I do not understand the appeal of Chalamet based on this. He seems very wooden especially compared to the actors he shares scenes with.

If I give the actor benefit of the doubt, I attribute that to the conflict and whirlwind of emotions the character is dealing with. He has the galactic weight of expectations on him and is still just a kid.

I just finished an HBO Max rewatch. Still dig it but it felt shorter the second time. Needed 30 more minutes.

PostPosted: Fri October 22, 2021 1:35 pm 
The Master

Bi_3 wrote:

It always bothers me in fantasy/sci fi when a character says something like, “let’s get outta here” which is such a 20th century phrase. Takes me out of it.

Paul does this.

PostPosted: Fri October 22, 2021 1:48 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

If I had to get rid of one or the other, I'd lose the stuffy British accent over the American one.

Ever since the star wars prequels I've hated it in sci Fi movies.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Fri October 22, 2021 2:20 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

Then how would you know who the bad guys are?

PostPosted: Fri October 22, 2021 2:21 pm 
The Master

dimejinky99 wrote:
Then how would you know who the bad guys are?

with scars on their face obviously

https://www.npr.org/2021/10/20/10475910 ... harmful-tr

PostPosted: Fri October 22, 2021 2:38 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Is there any real truth to the idea that scars on bad guys in movies lead to negative attitudes to scarred people irl? Has anyone ever seen a guy with a scar and thought "that's a bad person" because a bad guy in a movie had one?

It's the typical bougie bullshit that makes sense only if you don't think about it all.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Fri October 22, 2021 2:39 pm 

Plus movie scars look cool as fuck.

PostPosted: Fri October 22, 2021 2:43 pm 
The Master

We're cancelling movie scars now, Burt. Keep up!

PostPosted: Fri October 22, 2021 2:46 pm 

I'm too busy trying to cancel the British from sci fi movies.

PostPosted: Fri October 22, 2021 3:24 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

spike wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:

It always bothers me in fantasy/sci fi when a character says something like, “let’s get outta here” which is such a 20th century phrase. Takes me out of it.

Paul does this.

Yes! He also says, "You good?" to Jessica.

PostPosted: Fri October 22, 2021 7:06 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Welp. I love it, with one HUGE exception. But before I get to that, the visuals were stunning (as expected with Villenueve) and I thought the world building was fine, like ensign said maybe a little heavy on the exposition but nothing horrible. Chalamet is fine, I thought he did this life stage of Paul really well. But the one thing that is really, really, annoying:

Spoiler: show
I agree with Burt 100% about where they ended it. That is a huge risk to do it that way considering they haven't even gotten the green light for another movie. Yikes. Just imagine if this flops and they don't do another one.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 865 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 44  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment