The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 820 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 41  Next
 Post subject: Re: Movie: Dune (2020)
PostPosted: Wed October 20, 2021 10:21 pm 
slower than 82% of US

epilogue wrote:
bada wrote:
I've been thinking about why I liked not loved this. I didn't care for Paul. Not the actor just the character. I mean "the one" is always the least interesting character in these sort of things but I just wanted more Jessica, more Leto, more Duncan, more Dr. Yueh, more Gurney (even in the books there is never enough Gurney) but necessarily I admit they spend most of the time on Paul. I mean they have too it's the story but I wanted more time with the others. Sorta wish it was a series.

Have I got great news for you!

PostPosted: Thu October 21, 2021 3:57 pm 
The Master

happy dune day people

PostPosted: Thu October 21, 2021 4:03 pm 
Future Drummer

what's everyone think: will this tank as bad on opening weekend as The Last Duel?

PostPosted: Thu October 21, 2021 4:04 pm 
The Master

Malloy wrote:
what's everyone think: will this tank as bad on opening weekend as The Last Duel?

the last duel was bound to fail based on damon and affleck's hair and makeup alone.

PostPosted: Thu October 21, 2021 4:10 pm 
Future Drummer

spike wrote:
Malloy wrote:

the last duel was bound to fail based on damon and affleck's hair and makeup alone.

can't argue with that.

for a moment, i thought to use Blade Runner 2049 as possible evidence that this could do well. but i dunno. how does dune sit in the culture? feel like, even decades removed, blade runner had more cultural capital when the sequel was made? and like jorge said, the environment for theatrical releases is so grim right now.

PostPosted: Thu October 21, 2021 4:16 pm 
The Master

Malloy wrote:
spike wrote:
Malloy wrote:

can't argue with that.

for a moment, i thought to use Blade Runner 2049 as possible evidence that this could do well. but i dunno. how does dune sit in the culture? feel like, even decades removed, blade runner had more cultural capital when the sequel was made? and like jorge said, the environment for theatrical releases is so grim right now.

are you underestimating the chalamet?

PostPosted: Thu October 21, 2021 4:17 pm 
Future Drummer

spike wrote:
Malloy wrote:
spike wrote:
Malloy wrote:

can't argue with that.

you mean timmy?

PostPosted: Thu October 21, 2021 4:31 pm 
The Master

Malloy wrote:
spike wrote:
Malloy wrote:
spike wrote:
Malloy wrote:

can't argue with that.

you mean timmy?

*timmée

PostPosted: Thu October 21, 2021 5:13 pm 
slower than 82% of US

spike wrote:
Malloy wrote:
spike wrote:
Malloy wrote:
spike wrote:
Malloy wrote:

can't argue with that.

you mean timmy?

*timmée

I believe he goes by Thée

PostPosted: Thu October 21, 2021 9:51 pm 
The Master

Mecca wrote:
spike wrote:
Malloy wrote:
spike wrote:
Malloy wrote:
spike wrote:
Malloy wrote:

can't argue with that.

you mean timmy?

*timmée

I believe he goes by Thée

is he trans?

PostPosted: Fri October 22, 2021 1:09 am 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

I liked it a lot and can't wait for part 2. The unavoidable flaw is the amount of exposition they had to do in almost every scene. They pulled it off fairly well but some of the dialogue did seem stiff as a result.

PostPosted: Fri October 22, 2021 1:52 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

What the fuck was that
Spoiler: show
cliffhanger ending? Where the fuck is the rest of the movie? Killing some random dude is the climax!?

It was about what I expected.

Amazing that they took nearly everything I thought was interesting about Dune and downplayed or ignored it.

I can normally appreciate the stark, modernist look, but nothing feels immense or hot or alien or... anything. Why is it so relentlessly gray?

Anyways it was competent. It doesn't embarrass itself or anything. It's not bad. Not for me though.

but fuck that cliffhanger ending.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

Last edited by BurtReynolds on Fri October 22, 2021 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri October 22, 2021 2:06 am 
what on earth am I talking about

Burt hates it. That’s gotta be a good sign.

Seriously though. They’re putting it on hbo?

We’re never gonna see the second part made now are we?

PostPosted: Fri October 22, 2021 3:14 am 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

BurtReynolds wrote:
What the fuck was that
cliffhanger ending? Where the fuck is the rest of the movie? Killing some random dude is the climax!?

They’ve been pretty clear throughout the lead up that this is covering only half the first book. The title card even says “Part One.”

One facet I don’t think they articulated well enough was the prophecy and the coming jihad. That fight represents the first step of his transition from young Atreides to (possibly) becoming the fabled Kwisatz Haderach.

[quote=“BurtReynolds”]Amazing that they took nearly everything I thought was interesting about Dune and downplayed or ignored it.[/quote]

Such as?

Last edited by Ensign9 on Fri October 22, 2021 3:22 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri October 22, 2021 3:17 am 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

dimejinky99 wrote:

In a recent interview, the Warner Bros CEO pretty strongly implied we’re getting part 2. I think part 2 is almost a certainty. I’d love to see at least five movies covering the next few books but that’s probably a pipe dream. HBO Max series might be a good bet.

I think it being on HBO Max is actually a good thing. You’re more likely to pull in an audience that isn’t primed to seek out Dune in theaters. You’ll get bigger numbers that way. I plan to play it on repeat for 30 days to pump up the numbers.

PostPosted: Fri October 22, 2021 3:20 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

I don't care if they needed to break it up to make more money or whatever, that is a terrible place to end it. You have to move things around or add something in that case.

Did they at least make part 2 at the same time?

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Fri October 22, 2021 3:22 am 
slower than 82% of US

BurtReynolds wrote:
I don't care if they needed to break it up to make more money or whatever, that is a terrible place to end it. You have to move things around or add something in that case.

I feel like they’d be crazy to not film the entire thing at once

PostPosted: Fri October 22, 2021 3:25 am 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

BurtReynolds wrote:

Hard not to end it there if you want to have a fully realized movie and narrative arc contained within the second movie. I don’t think ending it there was the problem; they just didn’t emphasize the significance of that fight in Paul’s development well enough so the stakes didn’t feel quite high enough.

No, it was going to be dependent on part one doing well. However, I suspect they’ve filmed a few chunks of part two footage already based on the brief bits of future visions Paul sees.

Last edited by Ensign9 on Fri October 22, 2021 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri October 22, 2021 3:26 am 
what on earth am I talking about

Ensign9 wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

In a recent interview, the Warner Bros CEO pretty strongly implied we’re getting part 2. I think part 2 is almost a certainty. I’d love to see at least five movies covering the next few books but that’s probably a pipe dream. HBO Max series might be a good bet.

I think it being on HBO Max is actually a good thing. You’re more likely to pull in an audience that isn’t primed to seek out Dune in theaters. You’ll get bigger numbers that way. I plan to play it on repeat for 30 days to pump up the numbers.

That’s good news.

HBO isn’t everywhere though. It’s only launching in Europe this season I think.
So how is it they make the money back and a profit enough to do the second?

As for the other books I got stuck on the one after dune. It’s really trippy and Paul’s a prick who hates his sister and loads of galaxy mapping mind trip stuff

Is it filmable? Probably. Will anyone who hasn’t read and is devoted to all the books know what’s going on? Very Probably not

PostPosted: Fri October 22, 2021 3:27 am 

It does kinda feel like a pilot to a TV show in some ways. It doesn't look very expensive either.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 820 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 41  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment