The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 860 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 43  Next
 Post subject: Re: Movie: Dune (2020)
PostPosted: Fri October 22, 2021 7:19 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

Not challenging; just curious: where do you guys think they should've ended it? Or are you saying they shouldn't have broken it up into two movies at all? (I think that would have resulted in a bad movie.)

PostPosted: Fri October 22, 2021 7:32 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Good question. Maybe another 30 minutes to give a little glimpse as to what the fight ahead for them might be?

PostPosted: Fri October 22, 2021 7:40 pm 
slower than 82% of US

I definitely understood the universe better from this than from David Lynch’s attempt

PostPosted: Fri October 22, 2021 7:56 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

maybe they should have made this a limited series

PostPosted: Fri October 22, 2021 8:23 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

tree_ wrote:
maybe they should have made this a limited series

Might still go that route if they can get first get three movies made covering Dune and Dune Messiah (there's a logical break point to transition to a series there). They've already got a prequel series focused on the Bene Gesserit in the works for HBO Max.

PostPosted: Fri October 22, 2021 8:25 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

Mecca wrote:
I definitely understood the universe better from this than from David Lynch’s attempt

With the exception of the prophecy, I thought they handled the world-building exposition about as well as they could. All the holovids Paul watched, everyone using full names, etc.

PostPosted: Fri October 22, 2021 8:46 pm 
The Master

Ensign9 wrote:
spike wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
Good not great. I think what was off putting was that Paul didn’t sound like anyone else. Not his parents or the other members of his house. He sounded very generic American voice-y while everyone else felt natural

It always bothers me in fantasy/sci fi when a character says something like, “let’s get outta here” which is such a 20th century phrase. Takes me out of it.

Paul does this.

Yes! He also says, "You good?" to Jessica.

haha, who even says that to their mom irl

PostPosted: Fri October 22, 2021 9:28 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

More time was needed setting up Arrakeen itself. The people who live there, the prevalence of Catholicism (we got a few quick glimpses of the Orange Catholic Bible) and how it figures into the messianic prophecy, etc. (we get the one bit of Mohaim telling Jessica they've "paved the way" for Paul on Arrakis). If I recall correctly from the book, there was an extravagant dinner held in the palace with some of the key groups soon after the Atreides arrive and we get more insight into the prophecy from the Fremen perspective from Shadout Mapes. As it stands in the movie, it felt like they were there for only a few days before the Harkonnens return.

PostPosted: Sat October 23, 2021 4:44 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

[quote="Ensign9"]Not challenging; just curious: where do you guys think they should've ended it? Or are you saying they shouldn't have broken it up into two movies at all? (I think that would have resulted in a bad movie.)[/quote]

Since you asked, if I had to break it up, i'd probably end it soon after the Harkonnen attack, maybe after Paul and his mom escape. End it with them free but facing an endless desert to survive. Then you get a whole movie to show how Paul becomes who he is and how he comes to lead the fremen over the bad guys. Instead we get the first part of that at the end of this movie, which means you end up with a boring slog through the desert and killing a guy we know nothing about as the climax. Terrible decision.

I'd make the first movie a Game of Thrones-esque battle of wits between the houses. Each trying to outmaneuver the other, culminating in the Harkonnen victory.

There was so much they could have explored and set up. The mentats (who are basically ignored), the reason they fight with swords, The difficulty of space travel, spice, the immense history and religious background... Plenty to fill a movie. Instead it's all vomited out clunky exposition.

What I was left with was the feeling that I just watched a watered down Star Wars, which, considering that Star Wars is a stripped down version of Dune (not a criticism), that's exactly what this was.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Sat October 23, 2021 5:01 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Fuck I should direct movies.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Sat October 23, 2021 5:39 pm 
Future Drummer

Mecca wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
I don't care if they needed to break it up to make more money or whatever, that is a terrible place to end it. You have to move things around or add something in that case.

Did they at least make part 2 at the same time?

I feel like they’d be crazy to not film the entire thing at once

not sure why they didn’t do this either

PostPosted: Sat October 23, 2021 5:43 pm 
Future Drummer

great hang out zone out flick. def have this playing in the background on many a night when i’m on the couch reading the internet, setting precious waking hours aflame

PostPosted: Sat October 23, 2021 6:50 pm 
slower than 82% of US

BurtReynolds wrote:
Ensign9 wrote:
Not challenging; just curious: where do you guys think they should've ended it? Or are you saying they shouldn't have broken it up into two movies at all? (I think that would have resulted in a bad movie.)

Since you asked, if I had to break it up, i'd probably end it soon after the Harkonnen attack, maybe after Paul and his mom escape. End it with them free but facing an endless desert to survive. Then you get a whole movie to show how Paul becomes who he is and how he comes to lead the fremen over the bad guys. Instead we get the first part of that at the end of this movie, which means you end up with a boring slog through the desert and killing a guy we know nothing about as the climax. Terrible decision.

I'd make the first movie a Game of Thrones-esque battle of wits between the houses. Each trying to outmaneuver the other, culminating in the Harkonnen victory.

There was so much they could have explored and set up. The mentats (who are basically ignored), the reason they fight with swords, The difficulty of space travel, spice, the immense history and religious background... Plenty to fill a movie. Instead it's all vomited out clunky exposition.

What I was left with was the feeling that I just watched a watered down Star Wars, which, considering that Star Wars is a stripped down version of Dune (not a criticism), that's exactly what this was.

The spice is important because it’s pumpkin flavored, right?

PostPosted: Sat October 23, 2021 6:52 pm 

mostly I just want to see this dude again

PostPosted: Sat October 23, 2021 9:42 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

spike wrote:
Ensign9 wrote:
spike wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
Good not great. I think what was off putting was that Paul didn’t sound like anyone else. Not his parents or the other members of his house. He sounded very generic American voice-y while everyone else felt natural

It always bothers me in fantasy/sci fi when a character says something like, “let’s get outta here” which is such a 20th century phrase. Takes me out of it.

Paul does this.

Yes! He also says, "You good?" to Jessica.

haha, who even says that to their mom irl

Usually the Mom isn’t a mere 13 years older than you. In most of the films I’ve seen they call those women Stepmoms and instead of being able to control peoples will they usually end up busted for shoplifting or with their hair stuck in the dryer somehow

PostPosted: Sun October 24, 2021 12:35 am 
Rank This Poster

As someone who has never read the books….

What a fucking slog this was. It honestly made me wish I was rewatching John Carter. The “story” is ball-achingly dull. It’s supposed to at least be pretty to look at. If you like gray, brown, and ships and buildings with the aesthetic appeal of a sandcrawler, it is.

The lead? What a ponce. Was Harry Styles not available?
Josh Brolin? Haven’t we had enough of his one-note acting over the last 5 years? Christ.
Mamoa without a beard is like Sam Eliot without a mustache.
Good to see Poe Dameron has no range at all.
Did like the female Don Cheadle.
And Rebecca Ferguson is what Amy Ryan would look like if wishes came true.
Oh and Zendays is in this like a fucking watch is in a James Bond movie.

These might be great books, but they do not translate to great films. Sorry, fan bios.

PostPosted: Sun October 24, 2021 12:41 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Wow

PostPosted: Sun October 24, 2021 12:56 am 
Rank This Poster

Jorge wrote:
Wow

Probably the best review you’ve ever read.

PostPosted: Sun October 24, 2021 2:44 am 
jeeeesus relax already

saw it on Imax today, and i wasnt blown away. Timothée Chalamet failed at getting us a very sympathetic lead...i truly didnt cared at all what happened to the guy. I can say the same for pretty much every character too.

I liked the visuales, some visual at least...but not much else. Kinda boring start, better last half.

To see this one on a tv must be so fucking boring tough.

PostPosted: Sun October 24, 2021 4:00 am 
The Master

It was good to great not great. Definitely long and could have been cut down. We hung on too many scenes for too long.

Overall i enjoyed it though. I thought the acting was great and Daft Twat needs to maybe just calm down a bit.

The fight scene at the end was awesome.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 860 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 43  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment