The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 865 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 ... 44  Next
 Post subject: Re: Movie: Dune (2021) (It’s alright; you should bother)
PostPosted: Mon March 18, 2024 5:28 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

I could be wrong but I don’t think those guys in Part One were meant to be viewed as navigators.

PostPosted: Mon March 18, 2024 6:10 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

I agree. They were just some weird ceremonial people

PostPosted: Mon March 18, 2024 10:38 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Minor spoilers:

PostPosted: Mon March 18, 2024 11:12 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

All well and good, but it's undermined by the annoying Dr. Strange "I looked into the future and found the one narrow path that kills billions but is the best bad option"

PostPosted: Mon March 18, 2024 11:22 pm 
Rank This Poster

It'll be a long wait for the third movie, but I forgot about the Dune prequel series that's supposed to be coming out this Fall. The early days of the Bene Gesserit? Sign me up

PostPosted: Mon March 18, 2024 11:35 pm 
Future Drummer

I'm finally going to see this again tomorrow evening.

PostPosted: Tue March 19, 2024 12:33 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Farmer John wrote:
It'll be a long wait for the third movie, but I forgot about the Dune prequel series that's supposed to be coming out this Fall. The early days of the Bene Gesserit? Sign me up

So signing up for these dumb prequels!

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Tue March 19, 2024 12:43 am 
Rank This Poster

BurtReynolds wrote:
Farmer John wrote:

So signing up for these dumb prequels!

Name them all

PostPosted: Tue March 19, 2024 12:57 am 
slower than 82% of US

tree_ wrote:
Mecca wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Momoa hinted in an interview that he’s already been approached about returning but wouldn’t say much more, so odds are good it will happen sooner rather than later

But, Duncan Idaho is dead?!

ain't no more, he ain't. but he's a ghola now

i feel like they're going to embrace the crazy on this next one and go all out.. and i'm gonna love it

You’re just making up words. Next you’re going to tell me that large amounts of spice turns people into fish

PostPosted: Tue March 19, 2024 2:26 am 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

The Argonaut wrote:
All well and good, but it's undermined by the annoying Dr. Strange "I looked into the future and found the one narrow path that kills billions but is the best bad option"

They're not even scratching the surface of what Paul and his eventual heirs see. The goal isn't to win the war; it's to save humanity's future over thousands of years.

PostPosted: Tue March 19, 2024 1:08 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Bi_3 wrote:
Minor spoilers:

There are a few people I know that saw these movies just because they were marketed as blockbusters, not because they read the books or even just were good sci fi story fans. They all came away saying some form of "I don't like how they made Paul a dick by the end". These people will not like Dune: Messiah.

PostPosted: Tue March 19, 2024 1:15 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Paul is based and has to take on immense responsibility himself because of libtard inability to overcome corrupt institutions.

Many such cases!

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Tue March 19, 2024 1:21 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

Ensign9 wrote:
The Argonaut wrote:

They're not even scratching the surface of what Paul and his eventual heirs see. The goal isn't to win the war; it's to save humanity's future over thousands of years.

Yeah I know. I don't get why Denis and even Herbert say Paul is a villain. Isn't his goal, and his kid Leto 2's more directly, to ultimately save humanity by walking the "golden path"? I mean, I get why right now he looks like a villain to someone as narrow minded as Chani, but in the end he's doing exactly what he should, for the sake of humanity. What's he supposed to do? Just roll over and let the Harkonnens kill everyone?

PostPosted: Tue March 19, 2024 1:39 pm 

BurtReynolds wrote:
Paul is based and has to take on immense responsibility himself because of libtard inability to overcome corrupt institutions.

Many such cases!

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue March 19, 2024 2:02 pm 
slower than 82% of US

tree_ wrote:
Ensign9 wrote:
The Argonaut wrote:

Yeah I know. I don't get why Denis and even Herbert say Paul is a villain. Isn't his goal, and his kid Leto 2's more directly, to ultimately save humanity by walking the "golden path"? I mean, I get why right now he looks like a villain to someone as narrow minded as Chani, but in the end he's doing exactly what he should, for the sake of humanity. What's he supposed to do? Just roll over and let the Harkonnens kill everyone?

lots of negative actions happen because of good intentions; not really a foreign concept

PostPosted: Tue March 19, 2024 2:07 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

Mecca wrote:
tree_ wrote:
Ensign9 wrote:
The Argonaut wrote:

lots of negative actions happen because of good intentions; not really a foreign concept

Yeah, but his actions lead to the ultimate good, because he can actually see the future. And these guys knowing this, I don't know why they call him a bad guy. Maybe the message is just that there really are no good and bad guys, and that it's complicated. But I still think he's a good guy, ultimately.

PostPosted: Tue March 19, 2024 2:57 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

Spoiler: show
Paul, in fact, reverts to a "good guy" in Messiah because he abandons the Golden Path. His son eventually takes on that mantle and does become the "bad guy" tyrant over thousands of years (albeit with the same goal of saving humanity from robots pretending to be an old couple).

PostPosted: Tue March 19, 2024 2:58 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

Ensign9 wrote:
Paul, in fact, reverts to a "good guy" in Messiah because he abandons the Golden Path. His son eventually takes on that mantle and does become the "bad guy" tyrant over thousands of years (albeit with the same goal of saving humanity from robots pretending to be an old couple).

Yes but this is the only way to save humanity! He's a good guy ultimately! And he knows exactly what he's doing because he can see the future clearly. No bad intentions and all actions lead to good. The message shouldn't be "don't trust those in power". It should be "don't trust those in power who can't see the future". Not really applicable to real life.
They are heroes, just not in the way most people would expect or want.

PostPosted: Tue March 19, 2024 4:11 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

"I can see the future" is a super lame fictional power, because it is hard for the reader/viewer to question. He can see the future. It sucks

PostPosted: Tue March 19, 2024 4:17 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

The Argonaut wrote:
"I can see the future" is a super lame fictional power, because it is hard for the reader/viewer to question. He can see the future. It sucks

It's good entertainment, with all the internal struggle of the characters trying to do the right thing for the future by doing horrible things in the present. I just can't understand why Denis and Herbert insist Paul is a bad guy. He's given shitty options in every direction and chooses the best way forward, shitty as it may be.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 865 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 ... 44  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment