The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 865 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44  Next
 Post subject: Re: Movie: Dune (2021) (It’s alright; you should bother)
PostPosted: Tue March 19, 2024 10:44 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

I like how in the movie they treat Paul as a half sleep zombie too

PostPosted: Tue March 19, 2024 11:34 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

Veggie is being very Traggish in his disdain for Chalamet. Like a broken record (with terrible drum sound).

PostPosted: Tue March 19, 2024 11:46 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

VinylGuy wrote:
I like how in the movie they treat Paul as a half sleep zombie too

You’d be a heavy-lidded narcoleptic if you were burdened with glorious purpose, too.

PostPosted: Tue March 19, 2024 11:48 pm 
Rank This Poster

They did a convincing job of making it seem like he was a good fighter

PostPosted: Tue March 19, 2024 11:49 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Ello Sailor wrote:
Veggie is being very Traggish in his disdain for Chalamet. Like a broken record (with terrible drum sound).

I’ll take that as a compliment. There is no one more obsessed with let everyone know again and again his thoughts than Trag.

PostPosted: Wed March 20, 2024 12:58 am 
slower than 82% of US

Farmer John wrote:
They did a convincing job of making it seem like he was a good fighter

it was the weirding way

PostPosted: Thu March 21, 2024 3:19 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

I'm rewatching Dune 1 after having seen 2 and it being stuck in my mind. I'm noticing some interesting details.

In the beginning, Chani introduces us to the Harkonnen's and the Fremen's situation, saying how the emperor has called on the Harkonnens to leave the planet Arakis, and she says something along the lines of "I wonder who our next oppressors will be" and then the next shot is Paul Atreides, already cluing the audience in to the fact that Paul Atreides is going to be their next oppressor (though I disagree, I believe Paul is a hero, it is Denis' opinion).

In Paul's and Gurney's practice fight while still on their home planet Caladan, Paul assumes himself to have won, but then Gurney has a sneaky knife aimed at Paul's midsection. I noticed that this is how Paul's fight with Feyd-Ratha ends in part 2. Paul learned that technique from Gurney.

PostPosted: Thu March 21, 2024 3:21 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Thank you for your continued Dune analysis. We find it edifying and interesting.

PostPosted: Fri March 22, 2024 4:13 am 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

tree_ wrote:
already cluing the audience in to the fact that Paul Atreides is going to be their next oppressor (though I disagree, I believe Paul is a hero, it is Denis' opinion).

He's both. Oppression is simply the mechanism by which he will become one (at least, until
Spoiler: show
he abandons his path
).

PostPosted: Fri March 22, 2024 1:24 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

Ensign9 wrote:
tree_ wrote:
already cluing the audience in to the fact that Paul Atreides is going to be their next oppressor (though I disagree, I believe Paul is a hero, it is Denis' opinion).

He's both. Oppression is simply the mechanism by which he will become one (at least, until
he abandons his path
).

How is he an oppressor? Leto 2 definitely is, as a means of course, but Paul? He is but the spark that lit the Fremen's fury, gave them purpose to oppress others. But really there was no other way. What should have Paul done instead?

PostPosted: Fri March 22, 2024 4:40 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

His jihad is about to kill billions of people who don't support him and his religious movement.

He's doing this to save the human race over a many thousands of years timeframe.

He's not supposed to do anything differently -- this is his necessary burden to carry: the Golden Path.

Which he subsequently abandons in Messiah and Leto II later picks back up.

PostPosted: Fri March 22, 2024 5:16 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

Ensign9 wrote:
His jihad is about to kill billions of people who don't support him and his religious movement.

He's doing this to save the human race over a many thousands of years timeframe.

He's not supposed to do anything differently -- this is his necessary burden to carry: the Golden Path.

Which leads me back to my original point: Paul is not the Fremen's "next oppressor", despite what Denis implies

PostPosted: Fri March 22, 2024 5:58 pm 
slower than 82% of US

tree_ wrote:
Ensign9 wrote:

Which leads me back to my original point: Paul is not the Fremen's "next oppressor", despite what Denis implies

What about leading the Fremen to his own personal war?

PostPosted: Fri March 22, 2024 6:01 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

Mecca wrote:
tree_ wrote:
Ensign9 wrote:

What about leading the Fremen to his own personal war?

It's their war too. They've been waiting for this moment for a long time. They were oppressed until he came along.

PostPosted: Fri March 22, 2024 6:11 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

tree_ wrote:
Ensign9 wrote:

I’d say the BG are the real oppressors. What is oppression if not subverting another’s own will?

PostPosted: Fri March 22, 2024 6:17 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

Ensign9 wrote:
tree_ wrote:
Ensign9 wrote:

I’d say the BG are the real oppressors. What is oppression if not subverting another’s own will?

Yeah, no shite. They are behind putting all this in motion to begin with. Paul is nothing but their breeding plans gone awry. If their plans went as they had hoped and they could control the Kwisatz, everything would have turned out worse for humanity. Jessica is the real hero for sabotaging their plans.

PostPosted: Fri March 22, 2024 6:54 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

tree_ wrote:
Ensign9 wrote:
tree_ wrote:
Ensign9 wrote:

Yeah, no shite. They are behind putting all this in motion to begin with. Paul is nothing but their breeding plans gone awry. If their plans went as they had hoped and they could control the Kwisatz, everything would have turned out worse for humanity. Jessica is the real hero for sabotaging their plans.

Eh, not really if you read all 8 books. The "real" KW (not Paul; not Leto II) is the one that eventually saves humanity -- that was the BG's goal. Maybe that KW would've come into being sooner if Jessica hadn't gone rogue.

PostPosted: Fri March 22, 2024 6:55 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

Ensign9 wrote:
tree_ wrote:
Ensign9 wrote:
tree_ wrote:
Ensign9 wrote:

Eh, not really if you read all 8 books. The "real" KW is the one that eventually saves humanity -- that was the BG's goal. Maybe that KW would've come into being sooner if Jessica hadn't gone rogue.

ah yes, you're right... it was always their intention to steer humanity in the best direction

PostPosted: Sat March 23, 2024 2:55 am 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Just saw it again tonight. So so great. I love when the grenade is breaking through the chopper shield when Chani shoots it.

I’m also really glad they ended the movie on a shot of Chani. I really enjoy her arc in Dune Messiah, and i think ending with that shot showed that Villenueve is already thinking about it

PostPosted: Mon March 25, 2024 3:38 pm 
Rank This Poster

Saw this again and loved it even more. Any issues I had with the pacing are no longer the case. What I initially thought was "rushed" is now a "nice brisk pace".

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 865 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment