Switch to full style
Books, movies, television...
Post a reply

Re: Thor: Love & Thunder (2022)

Fri July 22, 2022 10:41 pm

This was atrocious!

Sat July 23, 2022 3:47 pm

I liked but didn't love it. It’s not the worst Marvel Movie. The Eternals still holds that title. It's serviceable, but could have been so much more.

As much as I love the character of Korg, I felt his recaps on Thor's history were unnecessary (he's Thor after all, appearing in nearly as many films as Iron Man) and were used as Taika Waititi's commentary on superheroes in general and Thor's evolution specifically. Cheap laughs.

I felt the kids being kidnapped storyline was relatively useless. There was no import to their abduction. It was either treated as a joke, a throwaway or ignored altogether until that particular plot device was needed.

I did not like Thor talking to his various hammers. The fact they seemed to be somewhat sentient was too much. The screams from the goats were funny. I know some thought that was overdone, but I laughed every time. Sif was tossed away with a joke about her arm ending up in Valhalla. A previously strong, accomplished warrior made the butt of a joke that she didn't know (as an Asgardian) that you have to actually die in battle in order to ascend to there.

What I did like: Christian Bale is, as always, totally committed and terrific. Natalie Portman finally got something important to do. New Asgard being a tourist attraction makes a whole ton of sense. Chris Hemsworth is equally adept at playing both humor and pathos, although the latter was in short supply (due to the script) until the end. Brett Goldstein as Hercules is inspired. The Guardians making an appearance, albeit mostly Chris Pratt speaking, was welcomed. Miss those guys.

Not quite sure where they go with Love if the next film is him fighting Hercules. I also miss how we're not seeing how these movies are tying into an interconnected whole like we did Phase 1-3. Sure. "Thor Will Return". But in what capacity? A standalone film? Guest starring in a YOung Avengers film considering Love now wields Stormbreaker? And where is the MCU going in Phase 4? By this time in Phase 1 we had the assembling of the Avengers and in Phase 2-3 it was the build up to Infinity War. What's the endgame here?

I dunno. Consider me baffled. Entertained? Sure. But also confused as to where this is all going which, I might add, is what got everyone and their mother invested in the MCU. Now? The jury is out.

Sat July 23, 2022 5:22 pm

I’m still bothered that there was an infinity gauntlet themed ice cream shop. We don’t have Hitler themed custard stands?

Sat July 23, 2022 5:32 pm

Mecca wrote:I’m still bothered that there was an infinity gauntlet themed ice cream shop. We don’t have Hitler themed custard stands?

But FDR didn’t win WW2 with a swastika either. Tony Stark defeated Thanos and brought back those that died in the blip WITH the Infinity Gauntlet.

Sun July 24, 2022 4:09 am

wease wrote:
Mecca wrote:I’m still bothered that there was an infinity gauntlet themed ice cream shop. We don’t have Hitler themed custard stands?

But FDR didn’t win WW2 with a swastika either. Tony Stark defeated Thanos and brought back those that died in the blip WITH the Infinity Gauntlet.

Yeah but Tony used the iron man suit as a gauntlet; the ice cream shop was the infinity gauntlet… plus Hulk brought everyone back from the blip; credit where credit is due

Sun July 24, 2022 1:59 pm

Mecca wrote:
wease wrote:

Yeah but Tony used the iron man suit as a gauntlet; the ice cream shop was the infinity gauntlet… plus Hulk brought everyone back from the blip; credit where credit is due

Either way, the Gauntlet was used for good at the end.

Wed July 27, 2022 3:17 pm

I finally got around to seeing this. Maybe it's because I see this stuff with my kids. Maybe it's because I read all the reviews.

But I enjoyed it. It wasn't smart. All the criticism about the lame humor was fair.

It's more or less exactly what I expecting, so I just sat back and had fun.

Thu September 08, 2022 6:00 am

What’s with the shabby curtain sets once it goes b&w? Jarring!

Fri September 23, 2022 12:16 pm

Bad on so many levels.

Fri September 23, 2022 2:55 pm

I personally love it. It was a full blown absurdist comedy ala Monty Python.

Fri September 23, 2022 8:06 pm

upon further review this is the worst of the marvel movies for me

Fri September 23, 2022 8:33 pm

Peeps wrote:upon further review this is the worst of the marvel movies for me

Worse than Capt Marvel? Never.

Sat September 24, 2022 1:21 am

Worse than The Eternals?

Sat September 24, 2022 3:21 am

wease wrote:

Worse than The Eternals?

god, this movie is way better than the Eternals

Sat September 24, 2022 4:29 am

Stickman wrote:

Worse than Capt Marvel? Never.

Watched Capt Marvel with my daughters last night, and granted this time around - I walked out for a good portion of it, but it was slightly better than I remembered it being

Sat September 24, 2022 4:53 am

Mecca wrote:
wease wrote:

Worse than The Eternals?

god, this movie is way better than the Eternals

I don't agree

Sat September 24, 2022 10:56 am

I watched it again. I still like it. It's flawed, but so am I.

Sat September 24, 2022 7:04 pm

This was a god damn mess and so disappointing.

Mon September 26, 2022 4:11 am

This was all over the place.

Mon September 26, 2022 10:25 am

i actually liked eternals and captain marvel

i loved ragnarok but as i said this movie focused way too much on the comedy and has started making thor into a mimbo.
Post a reply