The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 363 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: Star Trek: Picard
PostPosted: Sat January 11, 2020 4:24 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Noah Hawley is amazing. I didn't actually know he was writing and directing a star trek movie's, that is really good news. I'm sure it will be great.

PostPosted: Sat January 11, 2020 5:42 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

McParadigm wrote:
What is the general ST news thread? I’m torn about a lot of the news coming out of the new movie, but....
Quote:
Hawley also expounded on his vision somewhat, referencing 1982's Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, widely considered to be a high point for Trek.

"It's William Shatner putting on his reading glasses and lowering Khan's shields, which cost like $9.50. There's no big action sequence. He's just more clever," Hawley said, recalling a key scene. "There's something really uplifting about that feeling. I went to Paramount and just had my own ideas for what I wanted to do with it. So that's the direction that I'm going in. It's still very early days, so I can't really be more specific. But it's going to be different."

Much more excited about Hawley's take on ST than QT's. This is exciting.

PostPosted: Sat January 11, 2020 5:48 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

McParadigm wrote:
What is the general ST news thread?

viewtopic.php?p=500249#p500249

PostPosted: Sat January 11, 2020 6:02 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

durdencommatyler wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
What is the general ST news thread? I’m torn about a lot of the news coming out of the new movie, but....
Quote:
Hawley also expounded on his vision somewhat, referencing 1982's Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, widely considered to be a high point for Trek.

"It's William Shatner putting on his reading glasses and lowering Khan's shields, which cost like $9.50. There's no big action sequence. He's just more clever," Hawley said, recalling a key scene. "There's something really uplifting about that feeling. I went to Paramount and just had my own ideas for what I wanted to do with it. So that's the direction that I'm going in. It's still very early days, so I can't really be more specific. But it's going to be different."

I heard investors have no interest in Bad Robot or Hawleys Trek. They cant get the financing to make a new movie. The news coming out about Hawley's Trek is to try and get some internet buzz going and maybe get investors to give it a shot. It's basically dead. Not gonna happen.

PostPosted: Sat January 11, 2020 6:09 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

bada wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
Quote:

I heard investors have no interest in Bad Robot or Hawleys Trek. They cant get the financing to make a new movie. The news coming out about Hawley's Trek is to try and get some internet buzz going and maybe get investors to give it a shot. It's basically dead. Not gonna happen.

Either way, I'm more interested in a POTENTIAL Hawley Trek than any kind of QT Trek.

PostPosted: Sat January 11, 2020 6:19 pm 

Yeah I really like Hawley. Maybe they'll give him a TV show.

PostPosted: Sat January 11, 2020 6:42 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

bada wrote:
Yeah I really like Hawley. Maybe they'll give him a TV show.

That would be baller.

PostPosted: Wed January 22, 2020 11:06 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

Oh wow. Yes. Wow. YES

https://fbwat.ch/1v96eqQ1mVEA7CBc

PostPosted: Thu January 23, 2020 3:49 pm 

Saw the first episode. Enjoyed it. All the dire prognostications I've seen online seem to be vastly overblown....unless it goes to shit in latter episodes.

PostPosted: Fri January 24, 2020 2:30 am 
AnalLog

I haven't signed up for CBS All Access yet but may have to break down this weekend. I'm a huge TNG fan and the reviews thus far have been pretty stellar. Last I checked it was sitting at 91% on RT

PostPosted: Fri January 24, 2020 2:47 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

I fucking love the work they’ve done writing for Picard himself. It’s great to see him written in part by people who grew up with and respect the character, who understand the qualities that make him beloved, but who also are willing to adapt that template to their own ideas.

I could see scenarios where it doesn’t live up to this episode, but so far it’s great.

PostPosted: Fri January 24, 2020 2:56 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

enough of this poppycock

CBS All Access is a ripoff

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Fri January 24, 2020 3:10 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

The dialog when he’s soothing that one particular character outside his home, talking her through a traumatic moment of self-discovery, captures textures of Picard’s empathy that are usually only communicated in Patrick’s eyes. 90’s tv only had so much patience for non-expository dialog, and the movies.....yeeeesh.

Whatever else this show may do, it just feels like the writing for the only character that matters is right.

Not sure how I feel about the story yet, not because I have any complaints about what we just got but because it’s hard for me to see it not landing in a way that’s sorta JJesque.

PostPosted: Fri January 24, 2020 3:20 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

McParadigm wrote:
Not sure how I feel about the story yet, not because I have any complaints about what we just got but because it’s hard for me to see it not landing in a way that’s sorta JJesque.

I would say, on this front, at least he knows who he's looking for and why she's important. I was all too worried that he and Daughter were going to have to go on a bunch of madcap adventures just to figure out who she was and what her role in the galaxy was. Dumping it all in the first episode meant a lot of explaining, but at least they didn't drag it out.

PostPosted: Fri January 24, 2020 3:20 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Also half the walk ons he’s acting against are terrible actors, so it really feels like Star Trek.

PostPosted: Fri January 24, 2020 3:23 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

I'm sure it wasn't intentional but they should definitely lean into it.

PostPosted: Fri January 24, 2020 3:26 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Just livin my life, digging the new Pearl Jam and checking that new Star Trek show where Patrick Stewart stars. Why what year is it

PostPosted: Fri January 24, 2020 3:31 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

McParadigm wrote:
Just livin my life, digging the new Pearl Jam and checking that new Star Trek show where Patrick Stewart stars. Why what year is it

PostPosted: Fri January 24, 2020 3:45 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Oh if only

PostPosted: Fri January 24, 2020 3:21 pm 

Think if Q comes back they de-age him or have him look old and taunt Picard that he didn't want him to look like death alone?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 363 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 19  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment