The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 363 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: Star Trek: Picard
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 7:53 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

Ello Sailor wrote:
What's better out of Picard and The Book of Boba Fett? I loved Mando, but haven't seen either of these other two.

Hmm, do I want to die in a vat of acid or a vat of lava?

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 8:48 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

Lava, surely.

PostPosted: Sat October 08, 2022 10:25 pm 

I remain eternally hopeful we'll get some good Star Trek again. This might be it?

PostPosted: Sun October 09, 2022 3:00 am 
Major Dude

Watched the second season today. Better than the first.

PostPosted: Sun October 09, 2022 3:01 am 
Major Dude

bada wrote:

I remain eternally hopeful we'll get some good Star Trek again. This might be it?

Did you watch Strange New Worlds?

And Fuck yeah! Worf!!

PostPosted: Sun October 09, 2022 3:22 pm 

wease wrote:

I wouldn't call it good but its far away better than Discovery and Picard (so far) that I could enjoy some episode or parts of episodes. Anson Mount is fantastic and I find myself giving the show a pass because of him. I'm not wild about Spock he's too emotional just like Quinto's Spock. To be fair I'm not sure its possible to find that perfect balance of Vulcan and Human that Nimoy created. I didn't like the guy they got for Kirk. I mean I was appreciative they didn't make him the sort of pop culture internet meme campy Kirk that exists in people's mind but was never (well rarely) that way on the show or movies but the guy that got was pretty bland. I imagine they didn't want someone to outshine Pike but that wasn't James T Kirk. I like most of the cast really even the descendent of Khan which makes absolutely no sense but whatever. My favorite guy was the one they killed. Oh well. I think maybe the crew is a little too comfortable with each other. The other shows took years to get to that point. They are super lose with the chain of command but that's modern Star Trek I guess. Pike's orders are more like suggestions and no one has an issue questioning him. Try that with Sisko lol. It's like that on all the new shows though. Like I said I could really dig in and rip the show but there is enough to like that if I shut off my brain I can go with it.

PostPosted: Sun October 09, 2022 3:45 pm 
Major Dude

bada wrote:
wease wrote:

I wouldn't call it good but its far away better than Discovery and Picard (so far) that I could enjoy some episode or parts of episodes. Anson Mount is fantastic and I find myself giving the show a pass because of him. I'm not wild about Spock he's too emotional just like Quinto's Spock. To be fair I'm not sure its possible to find that perfect balance of Vulcan and Human that Nimoy created. I didn't like the guy they got for Kirk. I mean I was appreciative they didn't make him the sort of pop culture internet meme campy Kirk that exists in people's mind but was never (well rarely) that way on the show or movies but the guy that got was pretty bland. I imagine they didn't want someone to outshine Pike but that wasn't James T Kirk. I like most of the cast really even the descendent of Khan which makes absolutely no sense but whatever. My favorite guy was the one they killed. Oh well. I think maybe the crew is a little too comfortable with each other. The other shows took years to get to that point. They are super lose with the chain of command but that's modern Star Trek I guess. Pike's orders are more like suggestions and no one has an issue questioning him. Try that with Sisko lol. It's like that on all the new shows though. Like I said I could really dig in and rip the show but there is enough to like that if I shut off my brain I can go with it.

My only real complaint was Kirk. I didn’t like who they picked either.

PostPosted: Thu February 16, 2023 2:39 pm 

OK. The first episode of Season 3 was good. Really good. It felt like Star Trek. Visually its still way too dark but I imagine there was a feeling that it had to match the first two seasons. However, thankfully at least as far as the first episode you can pretend the first two seasons never happened story wise. Yes there are characters from those seasons but they are somewhat reintroduced. The score is great. I got the feels when the music kicked in as they left space dock. Riker and Picard are excellent together. Yes Patrick Stewart is still playing Patrick Stewart more than Picard but its acceptable. The mystery person one of the characters was talking too was easily figured out based on one line but I'll admit it did excite me. Only apprehension is a surprise new character introduced during the end. I don't want to get into it and spoil anything but there was a feeling of "really that trope?" The threat is suitably terrifying yet smaller in scale compared to all Nu Trek. Its not the end of the universe type garbage. So far so good. Can't wait till next week.

PostPosted: Thu February 16, 2023 3:27 pm 
Major Dude

Yours is the third good review I’ve read. Now I’m excited.

PostPosted: Fri February 17, 2023 1:56 pm 
AnalLog

Yeah I think I need to get back into Picard for the final season, from what I've read anyway. Wasn't feeling season 1 at all so I never got to S2. I have, however, been watching old episodes on TNG on the regular so if they can achieve just a fraction of its greatness with S3, I'm in

PostPosted: Wed February 22, 2023 8:12 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Just finished season 2. Waaaaay to much time spent in the Picard flashbacks about his mom. Coulda cut down at least 2 eps worth of time. Actually they could have used that time to split up the last ep since they threw the shuttle launch, Khan, Wesley, Q's death, the Borg, the orange thing that would have created a galactic event in 45mins.

Also, I didn't think anything we make me teary eyed like Data's goodbye but when Q said "Farewell mon capitain", that got me.

PostPosted: Thu February 23, 2023 3:59 pm 

A little more neutral on S03E02. I fear they are leaning way too hard into Wrath of Khan. Also momentum slams to a halt whenever they go to the Rafi storyline....well until <blank> showed up then it was awesome lol. Not wild about Jack. He's a little much. Still all in but this episode was a little bit of a let down.

PostPosted: Fri February 24, 2023 4:45 pm 
Major Dude

Both episodes delivered for me. I did guess who Rafi was talking to. I can see where the Wrath of Khan feeling would come from, but goddamn if that exchange between them wasn’t fantastic. And I know we’re probably not supposed to, but I’m really liking Shaw. I do believe he will die at some point in the season, tho.

PostPosted: Fri February 24, 2023 6:04 pm 

I have a feeling Shaw will be redeemed. I don't think this is a kill the toxic white guy role. Nu Trek they kill those guys. Classic Trek they learn to work together. I'm betting on Classic Trek. Hope I'm right.

PostPosted: Fri February 24, 2023 6:56 pm 
Major Dude

I don’t think he has anything to really be redeemed for at this point. He’s accepted the fact his ass is in the fire and now he’s gotta get them out of trouble. He’s not really been villainous or done anything with evil motives. As of yet, anyway. Young Jack and his mother are the true troublemakers at this point.

PostPosted: Fri February 24, 2023 7:01 pm 
Major Dude

Did you notice the name of the shuttlecraft?

PostPosted: Fri February 24, 2023 7:02 pm 
Major Dude

Looks like Frakes is directing the next two.

PostPosted: Fri February 24, 2023 7:22 pm 

Yeah redeemed was the wrong word. While he has a antagonistic relationship with our heroes I think they end up friends.

PostPosted: Fri February 24, 2023 7:58 pm 
Major Dude

Which is why he’ll die.

PostPosted: Fri February 24, 2023 8:28 pm 

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 363 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 19  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment