The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post subject: Re: Terminator: Dark Fate
PostPosted: Wed November 06, 2019 9:38 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

bune wrote:
B, you can't post an xkcd without the alt text.

If I had a time machine, I'd go back and fix it.

PostPosted: Wed November 06, 2019 9:58 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

PostPosted: Wed November 06, 2019 10:50 pm 
Future Drummer

after seeing dark fate today, i would like this movie to reach out a comforting hand, place it on my arm, and say "i'm sorry".

Spoiler: show
*sigh* i hate that this movie pretty much blew. the only scenes with any sort of weight all involved arnold's character. the dialogue was basic and awful, especially in the first half, and the first ten minutes of the movie made me wonder for the next two hours why i should care about anyone in this film that wasn't sarah connor- neither the character writing or their actors did a good job of making any of what was being show onscreen feel important enough to get invested in as a viewer. essentially, for their 'direct sequel', the filmmakers sure rendered useless anything that happened in the first two that might have given this one any sense of significance. linda hamilton was fine, but not great either (though she certainly had poorer material to work with here- the movie opens with her psych ward rant from t2, giving everyone a reminder about how great sarah connor/she was in that before this movie even gets rolling). it's kind of hard to believe but arnold's purposefully wooden performance as the t-800 carried the most resonance and heft. i'd argue he was the best part of the movie and made it tolerable to sit through. and the action scenes just never felt like anything but typical action fare set pieces.

dark fate was definitely no 'return to form', and i know this will be crazy to some but i'd watch genisys before i'd watch dark fate again.

PostPosted: Wed November 06, 2019 10:58 pm 
The Master

AndySlash wrote:
after seeing dark fate today, i would like this movie to reach out a comforting hand, place it on my arm, and say "i'm sorry".

*sigh* i hate that this movie pretty much blew. the only scenes with any sort of weight all involved arnold's character. the dialogue was basic and awful, especially in the first half, and the first ten minutes of the movie made me wonder for the next two hours why i should care about anyone in this film that wasn't sarah connor- neither the character writing or their actors did a good job of making any of what was being show onscreen feel important enough to get invested in as a viewer. essentially, for their 'direct sequel', the filmmakers sure rendered useless anything that happened in the first two that might have given this one any sense of significance. linda hamilton was fine, but not great either (though she certainly had poorer material to work with here- the movie opens with her psych ward rant from t2, giving everyone a reminder about how great sarah connor/she was in that before this movie even gets rolling). it's kind of hard to believe but arnold's purposefully wooden performance as the t-800 carried the most resonance and heft. i'd argue he was the best part of the movie and made it tolerable to sit through. and the action scenes just never felt like anything but typical action fare set pieces.

dark fate was definitely no 'return to form', and i know this will be crazy to some but i'd watch genisys before i'd watch dark fate again.

I wanted to see it but then...

I found out they killed john connor off and now I dont give a shit. Sounds like a waste now.

PostPosted: Wed November 06, 2019 10:59 pm 
Production Police

Sort of wish LV would show up and tell us it's the best movie of the decade, just so I could still harbor some optimism...

PostPosted: Wed November 06, 2019 11:07 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

I still enjoyed this film despite its flaws.

One thing that really bugged me was
In every other terminator that I can recall when someone gets sent back, and orb opens up just above the ground, person or terminator appears, gets up and walks away. Why the fuck couldn't Legion or whatever it was called work out where ground level was?

PostPosted: Thu November 07, 2019 12:06 am 
Future Drummer

i'll give dark fate this- without seeing that movie and reading other discussion about the movie, i would not have known this existed:

Rangi Guy wrote:
One thing that really bugged me was
In every other terminator that I can recall when someone gets sent back, and orb opens up just above the ground, person or terminator appears, gets up and walks away. Why the fuck couldn't Legion or whatever it was called work out where ground level was?

oh yeah, i forgot about this. perhaps this was meant to be addressed in the future movies, because it was pretty absurd to see here. like, a section of bridge span bisected one of the spheres and they fell out the bottom all the way to the ground. why? i can't imagine the people operating the time traveling tech for both sides are that inept. that the film showed this occurring twice despite having all the orbs open just above the ground in previous films perhaps meant it was supposed to have some significance. maybe not. i'm guessing now we'll never know.

PostPosted: Mon February 03, 2020 5:13 am 
Production Police

I’m watching this now. It is very bad and o feel badly for Linda Hamilton. Still, I paid $7.99 to rent the UHD and so I shall finish it.

Can anyone shed some light on the rumors of conflict between the director and James Cameron? It looks like shit, no sense of style, and the dialogue is worse, but who’s to blame?

PostPosted: Mon February 03, 2020 5:19 am 
Production Police

Oooooh fuck this movie I quit.

PostPosted: Mon February 03, 2020 12:40 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

tragabigzanda wrote:
Still, I paid $7.99 to rent the UHD and so I shall finish it.

Can I endorse your local library?

PostPosted: Mon February 03, 2020 12:47 pm 
Production Police

I love my local library but they didn’t have this yet

PostPosted: Mon February 03, 2020 5:07 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Sorry, I didn't know you were in a rush to watch it.

PostPosted: Mon February 03, 2020 5:29 pm 
Production Police

I loved T2 as a kid. It was the first R-rated movie I saw in a theater. I was 10 years old and my uncle brought me. The spectacle of it all blew my mind, and I watched the original shortly after.

I've enjoyed the sequels well enough, but obviously nothing has come close to those first two.

But this new one is really an abomination. The lack of visual flair is really the worst part; everything just looks so lifeless. But other than that, here's some stuff that is awful:

All of the dialogue.

The quick and tidy dispatching of young John Conner (good job with the CGI though, for him and Hamilton both).

When Linda Hamilton says "Now all I do is hunt terminators, and drink myself until I blackout." She then goes on to say that she's hunted a terminator roughly every two years or so. This is such a poorly executed explanation for what she's been up to.

If the bad terminator can duplicate himself into two, why not just stay that way the whole time?

Dani's quick embrace of some big life changes is pretty ridiculous. Her dad and brother are killed, she finds out she's supposed to become some future resistance hero, and she just sort of rolls with it.

The use of Arnold is just so bad. His back story, and what lead his character to be around for this movie, actually looks pretty good on paper. But because he hands the girls a couple of Coronas then explains it all in about 90 seconds, the whole thing falls hysterically flat.

Also Mackenzie Davis is really bad in this. She's been good in other stuff I've seen her in, so I'm gonna chalk it up to the directing.

Also the ending is whack AF.

Last edited by tragabigzanda on Mon February 03, 2020 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon February 03, 2020 5:32 pm 
The Master

Yea but i cant wait to watch it finally.

PostPosted: Mon February 03, 2020 5:39 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

tragabigzanda wrote:
I loved T2 as a kid. It was the first R-rated movie I saw in a theater. I was 10 years old and my uncle brought me. The spectacle of it all blew my mind, and I watched the original shortly after.

I've enjoyed the sequels well enough, but obviously nothing has come close to those first two.

But this new one is really an abomination. The lack of visual flair is really the worst part; everything just looks so lifeless. But other than that, here's some stuff that is awful:

All of the dialogue.

The quick and tidy dispatching of young John Conner (good job with the CGI though, for him and Hamilton both).

When Linda Hamilton says "Now all I do is hunt terminators, and drink myself until I blackout." She then goes on to say that she's hunted a terminator roughly every two years or so. This is such a poorly executed explanation for what she's been up to.

If the bad terminator can duplicate himself into two, why not just stay that way the whole time?

Dani's quick embrace of some big life changes is pretty ridiculous. Her dad and brother are killed, she finds out she's supposed to become some future resistance hero, and she just sort of rolls with it.

The use of Arnold is just so bad. His back story, and what lead his character to be around for this movie, actually looks pretty good on paper. But because he hands the girls a couple of Coronas then explains it all in about 90 seconds, the whole thing falls hysterically flat.

Also Mackenzie Davis is really bad in this. She's been good in other stuff I've seen her in, so I'm gonna chalk it up to the directing.

Also the ending is whack AF.

is it a better sequel to two than three was?

PostPosted: Mon February 03, 2020 5:40 pm 
Production Police

No I honestly think 3 is far superior

PostPosted: Mon February 03, 2020 5:47 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

T3 is not nearly as bad as genisys or dark fate. It's a pretty solid movie, with some great action. I really like the chase with the ridiculously large crane and the Terminator vs Terminator fight in the bathroom.

PostPosted: Mon February 03, 2020 5:53 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

tragabigzanda wrote:
No I honestly think 3 is far superior

alright, cheers. I was waiting to see which would be better before I move on in the series with my son.

PostPosted: Mon February 03, 2020 7:05 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Huh. Aside from Salvation, which was a great film, I considered Dark Fate to be far superior to the other sequels

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment