The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1381 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70  Next
 Post subject: Re: Avengers: Endgame SPOILER THREAD
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 2:11 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Im so over Avengers.

BRING IT POKEMON

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 5:46 pm 
AnalLog

Endgame outsold Pokemon by 5 million or so this weekend. It's still at #1.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 6:04 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

If you wanna take a stroll down memory lane

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 10:25 pm 
Future Drummer

theplatypus wrote:
That's not what the directors say -- they've stated in interviews that Cap lives out a life in a brand new timeline. That said, of course it's open to interpretation, and I understand there's some disagreement about it (the screenwriters seem to have their own theory).

My own take on it lines up with what the Russos said. Cap goes back, lives out a long and happy life with Peggy (maybe even doing some superhero shit) in an alternate timeline, and then goes back to the main timeline to say goodbye to his friends. Why doesn't he go appear in the time-machine thing that he left in? Well, I think there's both a story justification and a directorial justification. The story justification is that Cap has that time GPS wrist thing as well as a bunch of Pym particles, so he can hop back and forth between time and space (as he's been doing to return the stones to their timelines) -- there is no actual need for him to go through the machine. The machine is just what he used to enter the time stream. The directorial justification is that having Cap disappear for a moment, creating a mild panic, and then having the guys slowly come to the realization that he's the figure sitting off in the bench is simply more dramatic, interesting and satisfying than having him just appear immediately in the same spot as an old man.

Having him go back in time and live a lifetime in the main timeline not only contradicts the movie's time travel logic (they explain -- and we are shown -- that changing the past doesn't alter the future, instead creating a new timeline) but it also opens the door to a bunch of continuity and character problems. Does Steve Rogers just lay low while Hydra is torturing and brainwashing Bucky? Does he sit idly by as the snap from Infinity War happens, creating unspeakable anguish for literally billions? How about the times he met Peggy as an old woman -- are those no longer canon? It doesn't sit well with what we've seen.

I'm with plat. Excellent explanation.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 4:29 am 
Mind Your Tanners

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 7:39 am 
Mind Your Tanners

Btw, helluva job from the makeup team on old man Steve. Usually anyone aged in tv/movies never looks quite right but they nailed this one.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 12:42 pm 
slower than 82% of US

theplatypus wrote:
That's not what the directors say -- they've stated in interviews that Cap lives out a life in a brand new timeline. That said, of course it's open to interpretation, and I understand there's some disagreement about it (the screenwriters seem to have their own theory).

My own take on it lines up with what the Russos said. Cap goes back, lives out a long and happy life with Peggy (maybe even doing some superhero shit) in an alternate timeline, and then goes back to the main timeline to say goodbye to his friends. Why doesn't he go appear in the time-machine thing that he left in? Well, I think there's both a story justification and a directorial justification. The story justification is that Cap has that time GPS wrist thing as well as a bunch of Pym particles, so he can hop back and forth between time and space (as he's been doing to return the stones to their timelines) -- there is no actual need for him to go through the machine. The machine is just what he used to enter the time stream. The directorial justification is that having Cap disappear for a moment, creating a mild panic, and then having the guys slowly come to the realization that he's the figure sitting off in the bench is simply more dramatic, interesting and satisfying than having him just appear immediately in the same spot as an old man.

Having him go back in time and live a lifetime in the main timeline not only contradicts the movie's time travel logic (they explain -- and we are shown -- that changing the past doesn't alter the future, instead creating a new timeline) but it also opens the door to a bunch of continuity and character problems. Does Steve Rogers just lay low while Hydra is torturing and brainwashing Bucky? Does he sit idly by as the snap from Infinity War happens, creating unspeakable anguish for literally billions? How about the times he met Peggy as an old woman -- are those no longer canon? It doesn't sit well with what we've seen.
all those things still happened in the main timeline. Cap lived to be old cap in a separate timeline, but returned to that exact moment to appear on the bench in the main one.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 12:43 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Mecca wrote:
theplatypus wrote:

all those things still happened in the main timeline. Cap lived to be old cap in a separate timeline, but returned to that exact moment to appear on the bench in the main one.

That's what I said

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 12:45 pm 
slower than 82% of US

theplatypus wrote:
Mecca wrote:
theplatypus wrote:

That's what I said

Indeed. I guess I could’ve just said I agree with you? Leave me alone; it’s early

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 4:47 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 3:12 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 4:45 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Avengers: Endgame Beats Avatar at the Domestic Box Office

According to Box Office Mojo, Endgame has earned $770,805,870 at the North American box office after four weeks of release. The film sits above 2009's Avatar, with $760,507,625, and below 2015's The Force Awakens, with$936,662,225. While Endgame still hasn't eclipsed Avatar's worldwide box-office record, many think it is only a matter of time.

Globally, Endgame has earned $2.6 billion, placing it within reach of Avatar's $2.79 billion. Endgame will likely be in theaters for a bit longer, giving it the chance to pass Avatar. Disney now owns all three top box-office properties, following its acquisition in March of Fox's key assets.

Post subject: Re: Avengers: Endgame (2019)
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 4:10 am 
Mind Your Tanners

Spoiler: show

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 4:53 am 
Mind Your Tanners

PostPosted: Wed June 19, 2019 4:02 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

Wow. They really want that #1 in the world spot.
Playing Avatar at its own game, Endgame is to be re released in cinemas with extra footage.

They’ll easily take the crown now.

PostPosted: Wed June 19, 2019 5:27 pm 
Major Dude

dimejinky99 wrote:
Playing Avatar at its own game, Endgame is to be re released in cinemas with extra footage.

Extra footage?

PostPosted: Wed June 19, 2019 6:16 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

pass

PostPosted: Wed June 19, 2019 6:57 pm 
Future Drummer

wease wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

Extra footage?

link please? :luv:

PostPosted: Wed June 19, 2019 7:41 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

Just some stingers after the credits.

https://www.cbr.com/avengers-endgame-extended-release-theaters/

PostPosted: Sun June 30, 2019 7:35 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmende ... -gaga/amp/

Not gonna beat Avatar

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1381 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment