The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: It's HBO, Making You Miserable Again: Chernobyl (May 201
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 12:18 am 
Offline
Quit posting, you postwhore!
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 12:24 pm
Posts: 997
First ep was great. Not quite what I expected but still brilliant. I expected a bleak, horrifying experience, but I didn’t expect them to thrust into it that quickly. That second (?) scene where you can see the reactor explode in the background, and then the delayed force hitting the apartment complex was utterly chilling. Same goes for Jared Harris’ opening monologue.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: It's HBO, Making You Miserable Again: Chernobyl (May 201
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 2:52 am 
Offline
User avatar
I Have A Third Nipple
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 7:41 am
Posts: 18188
Location: Cumberland, RI
Yeah, I watched this tonight and it was good. I knew the maesters were up to something.

_________________
McParadigm wrote:
lol


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: It's HBO, Making You Miserable Again: Chernobyl (May 201
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 3:30 am 
Offline
User avatar
10Club Complaint Department
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 11:28 pm
Posts: 16548
Location: Space City
mf wrote:
That second (?) scene where you can see the reactor explode in the background, and then the delayed force hitting the apartment complex was utterly chilling.

I grew up in a town full of chemical refineries. I can still remember the sound and the way the house shook when a plant exploded ten miles away. At first, I thought the fridge had fallen over. That scene was incredibly realistic.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: It's HBO, Making You Miserable Again: Chernobyl (May 201
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 5:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar
I Have A Third Nipple
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 7:41 am
Posts: 18188
Location: Cumberland, RI
bune wrote:

Thanks for posting this. I watched the first episode last night and listened today, and it was fascinating. Should be noted that they spoil some details about how the series is going to unfold (I know, I know, it's a historical event--what they spoil is what future episodes will cover, some of which were a surprise to me). But overall, a good engaging conversation on the artistic process behind the show.

_________________
McParadigm wrote:
lol


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: It's HBO, Making You Miserable Again: Chernobyl (May 201
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 6:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Thu November 21, 2013 10:01 pm
Posts: 1976
Loved the first episode. Those scenes of the people in Pripiyat watching from a distance when the ash begins to fall on the was just chilling. Stuff of nightmares right there.

_________________
McParadigm wrote:
I mean nothing says libertarian more than talking a lot of shit and then getting your ass kicked in an actual one on one...

Dev wrote:
Clutch rules you dummy.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: It's HBO, Making You Miserable Again: Chernobyl (May 201
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 1:53 pm 
Offline
Mind Your Tanners
 Profile

Joined: Wed April 20, 2016 7:11 pm
Posts: 8348
meatwad wrote:
Loved the first episode. Those scenes of the people in Pripiyat watching from a distance when the ash begins to fall on the was just chilling. Stuff of nightmares right there.



It was pretty good. Definitely watching the rest

_________________
Kaius wrote:
I really hope we get this figured out soon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: It's HBO, Making You Miserable Again: Chernobyl (May 201
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 1:19 am 
Offline
User avatar
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:48 pm
Posts: 64328
This show is right up my alley but also the stuff of my nightmares

_________________
Clouuuuds Rolll byyy...BANG BANG BANG BANG


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: It's HBO, Making You Miserable Again: Chernobyl (May 201
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 1:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar
I Have A Third Nipple
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 7:41 am
Posts: 18188
Location: Cumberland, RI
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
This show is right up my alley but also the stuff of my nightmares

Face your fears, ruddo, it's really good.

_________________
McParadigm wrote:
lol


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: It's HBO, Making You Miserable Again: Chernobyl (May 201
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 1:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:48 pm
Posts: 64328
Oh I've watched it. I love it. But it's crazy. I remember when this happened, and even though they were commies, how this hit my community hard. We were in the evacuation zone of Three Mile Island just a few years prior so everyone saw what might have been for us.

_________________
Clouuuuds Rolll byyy...BANG BANG BANG BANG


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: It's HBO, Making You Miserable Again: Chernobyl (May 201
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 1:57 am 
Offline
User avatar
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:15 pm
Posts: 7421
Episode 2 of this is just...wow. Terrifying.

I love the choice of film they use for this too.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: It's HBO, Making You Miserable Again: Chernobyl (May 201
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 5:13 am 
Offline
User avatar
I Have A Third Nipple
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 7:41 am
Posts: 18188
Location: Cumberland, RI
EJ wrote:
Episode 2 of this is just...wow. Terrifying.

I love the choice of film they use for this too.

The helicopter crash was something else. I expected it to explode, but the empty thud was actually more horrifying. Not sure if that actually happened, hope they talk about it on the podcast.

_________________
McParadigm wrote:
lol


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: It's HBO, Making You Miserable Again: Chernobyl (May 201
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 4:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:15 pm
Posts: 7421
Simple Torture wrote:
EJ wrote:
Episode 2 of this is just...wow. Terrifying.

I love the choice of film they use for this too.

The helicopter crash was something else. I expected it to explode, but the empty thud was actually more horrifying. Not sure if that actually happened, hope they talk about it on the podcast.


The podcast is great. I was curious about the female scientist and they answered my questions about her.

Interesting article about the helicopter missions:
http://www.collectivemag.com/chernobyl-helicopters/

Really riveting story. I'm trying to avoid reading articles online about the specific details. I was 12 when it happened, and remember it being all over the news at the time. I've watched a few docs on it since, but don't recall a lot of the details of the immediate aftermath.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: It's HBO, Making You Miserable Again: Chernobyl (May 201
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 4:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar
10Club Complaint Department
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 11:28 pm
Posts: 16548
Location: Space City
The way this show sounds is one of the best parts. That thud that ST mentioned earlier and the slow rise of the radiation meter in that last scene of part two all add to a terrifying silence surrounding this whole thing.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: It's HBO, Making You Miserable Again: Chernobyl (May 201
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 4:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar
I Have A Third Nipple
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 7:41 am
Posts: 18188
Location: Cumberland, RI
Oh yeah that radiation meter in the last scene was heart-pumping. I figured they were just going to throw it away because at that point, you are dead.

I mentioned early in the thread that there were a couple of moments in the whole disaster and clean-up that I was eager to see dramatized, and those guys volunteering to do that was one of them. The firefighters' gear was another---there are YouTube clips of people going into that hospital with radiation meters and that room with their coats is still one of th hottest spots in the city.

_________________
McParadigm wrote:
lol


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: It's HBO, Making You Miserable Again: Chernobyl (May 201
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 4:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar
I Have A Third Nipple
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 7:41 am
Posts: 18188
Location: Cumberland, RI
Here ya go:


_________________
McParadigm wrote:
lol


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: It's HBO, Making You Miserable Again: Chernobyl (May 201
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 4:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar
10Club Complaint Department
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 11:28 pm
Posts: 16548
Location: Space City
Simple Torture wrote:
The firefighters' gear was another---there are YouTube clips of people going into that hospital with radiation meters and that room with their coats is still one of th hottest spots in the city.

I wonder if the scene when the hospital staff wasn’t wearing gloves when removing the clothes was a production error, but after listening to this week’s podcast, I realize that there was a lot of ignorance when it came to radiation back then. Still, if you are afraid enough to remove contaminated clothes and put them into quarantine for a long, long time, why would you not wear gloves?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: It's HBO, Making You Miserable Again: Chernobyl (May 201
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 4:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:15 pm
Posts: 7421
washing machine wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
The firefighters' gear was another---there are YouTube clips of people going into that hospital with radiation meters and that room with their coats is still one of th hottest spots in the city.

I wonder if the scene when the hospital staff wasn’t wearing gloves when removing the clothes was a production error, but after listening to this week’s podcast, I realize that there was a lot of ignorance when it came to radiation back then. Still, if you are afraid enough to remove contaminated clothes and put them into quarantine for a long, long time, why would you not wear gloves?

I think it was just artistic license to keep highlighting the sheer ignorance and chaos of it all.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: It's HBO, Making You Miserable Again: Chernobyl (May 201
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 4:52 pm 
Offline
Quit posting, you postwhore!
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 12:24 pm
Posts: 997
washing machine wrote:
The way this show sounds is one of the best parts. That thud that ST mentioned earlier and the slow rise of the radiation meter in that last scene of part two all add to a terrifying silence surrounding this whole thing.

The sound design is incredible. At first i found that Geiger counter annoying and wondered why they even bothered to bring it with them knowing that it was basically a suicide mission, but the way it gets more intense to the point where it completely overwhelms the soundtrack and then their flashlights go out...if that happened in a video game i'd be shitting my pants.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: It's HBO, Making You Miserable Again: Chernobyl (May 201
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 4:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar
10Club Complaint Department
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 11:28 pm
Posts: 16548
Location: Space City
EJ wrote:
washing machine wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
The firefighters' gear was another---there are YouTube clips of people going into that hospital with radiation meters and that room with their coats is still one of th hottest spots in the city.

I wonder if the scene when the hospital staff wasn’t wearing gloves when removing the clothes was a production error, but after listening to this week’s podcast, I realize that there was a lot of ignorance when it came to radiation back then. Still, if you are afraid enough to remove contaminated clothes and put them into quarantine for a long, long time, why would you not wear gloves?

I think it was just artistic license to keep highlighting the sheer ignorance and chaos of it all.

I can understand that. Now that I think about it, it also helps highlight the theme that on some instinctive level, everyone is in a denial about what is happening. that goes beyond party politics. "This is awful, but it could never happen to me."


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: It's HBO, Making You Miserable Again: Chernobyl (May 201
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 5:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:48 pm
Posts: 64328
I know this will just get more terrifying as it goes, but this show is just beautifully done. In a harrowing way, of course.

_________________
Clouuuuds Rolll byyy...BANG BANG BANG BANG


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Mickey and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Wed September 23, 2020 3:52 am