Switch to full style
Books, movies, television...
Post a reply

The Cinematic Motion Picture News Thread

Tue April 02, 2019 7:26 pm

Official poster. I dig it.

Re: The Cinematic Motion Picture News Thread

Wed April 03, 2019 2:09 pm

durdencommatyler wrote:Official poster. I dig it.

That new trailer sure is something.

Wed April 03, 2019 2:59 pm

McParadigm wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:Official poster. I dig it.

That new trailer sure is something.

Looks like Joaquin is gonna be brilliant. Took some adjustment of my eyes and perception of what a joker movie might look like but I’m digging the style.

Wed April 03, 2019 3:08 pm

Looks fucking incredible.

Wed April 03, 2019 3:54 pm

I love how thoroughly devoid of devotion or cynicism that is. Canon doesn’t guide it, blockbuster cash doesn’t guide it, and past portrayals may as well not exist. It does the most novel thing you could do with that character, at this point: humanize them, and make you feel sorry for their pain. It’s like super villain Taxi Driver.

Wed April 03, 2019 3:55 pm

It certainly makes Jared Leto‘s baby punker, or that TV show’s Frankenstein thing, look every bit as silly as they are

Wed April 03, 2019 3:59 pm

This trailer doesn't do much for me. Doesn't appear to be a lot of substance to the story.

Wed April 03, 2019 4:14 pm

McParadigm wrote:I love how thoroughly devoid of devotion or cynicism that is. Canon doesn’t guide it, blockbuster cash doesn’t guide it, and past portrayals may as well not exist. It does the most novel thing you could do with that character, at this point: humanize them, and make you feel sorry for their pain. It’s like super villain Taxi Driver.

I loved the trailer, and its story seems to be partially based on The Killing Joke.

i cant wait for the movie!

Wed April 03, 2019 4:14 pm

I'm not really sure we need a Joker origin but it looks interesting.

Wed April 03, 2019 4:21 pm

i would say we need more this movie than Captain Marvel or Aquaman.

Wed April 03, 2019 4:24 pm

VinylGuy wrote:i would say we need more this movie than Captain Marvel or Aquaman.

yes please

Wed April 03, 2019 4:24 pm

I never understand it when people talk about whether we “need” any movie...WTF does that even mean?

I think there’s an outside chance this might be silly/ridiculous but right now I’d say it looks really good. I’m glad Phillips is going in this direction; I think Hangover III is a well-directed movie that showed he wasn’t all that interested in comedy anymore. (Unfortunately War Dogs wasn’t great)

Wed April 03, 2019 4:26 pm

LoathedVermin72 wrote:I never understand it when people talk about whether we “need” any movie...WTF does that even mean?

I think there’s an outside chance this might be silly/ridiculous but right now I’d say it looks really good. I’m glad Phillips is going in this direction; I think Hangover III is a well-directed movie that showed he wasn’t all that interested in comedy anymore. (Unfortunately War Dogs wasn’t great)

Me too. I think that was a good trailer in a sense of not giving much of tone away and hinting at a little bit of everything.

Wed April 03, 2019 4:28 pm

I think what people mean when they say we don't 'need' a movie, in this instance, in Aquaman, etc., is just more of that which we already have an over-abundance. We 'need' movies that at least attempt to offer something novel.

Wed April 03, 2019 4:29 pm

But the material a movie is predicated upon does not dictate whether it offers something cinematically valuable...

Wed April 03, 2019 4:31 pm

LoathedVermin72 wrote:But the material a movie is predicated upon does not dictate whether it offers something cinematically valuable...
Would you say another Spiderman origin story could be of cinematic value at this time?

Wed April 03, 2019 4:33 pm

tree_ wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:But the material a movie is predicated upon does not dictate whether it offers something cinematically valuable...
Would you say another Spiderman origin story could be of cinematic value at this time?

Absolutely. It’s all about who makes it and what they do with it.

Wed April 03, 2019 4:35 pm

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
tree_ wrote:

There has to be some sort of continuum here, though... Wouldn't you rather the content be fresher?

Wed April 03, 2019 4:42 pm

Speaking for myself. When I say "need" in the context of a Joker movie it has nothing to do with an overabundance of comic book movies rather the demystification of a classic villain that comes with a definitive origin story. I don't need to know the origin of Darth Vader, the Joker or Hannibal Lector outside of vagaries that may or may not be accurate. I'm not going to lose my mind and take a hard stand against it and die on this hill. I'm gonna watch it. I'm just not sure I need to know the Joker used to bath his mom.

Wed April 03, 2019 4:43 pm

tree_ wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
tree_ wrote:

There has to be some sort of continuum here, though... Wouldn't you rather the content be fresher?

The freshness of the content depends entirely on how it’s handled by the filmmaker. I don’t care at all about superheroes but when Zack Snyder makes that movie, you better believe he makes it fresh to the point of being exhilarating.
Post a reply