Switch to full style
Books, movies, television...
Post a reply

Re: The Home Improvement Thread

Tue November 03, 2020 4:20 pm

I meant how the windows respond to strong wind gusts. He did check the windows, of course.

Tue November 03, 2020 4:21 pm

Anyway I gather that the window should not creak.

Wed November 11, 2020 5:34 pm

Hung christmas lights last weekend. IMHO, it improved our home.

I'm usually a no-xmas-til-after-Thanksgiving kinda guy but this year feels different.

Wed November 11, 2020 5:55 pm

Take it to the War On CHRISTmas thread

Fri November 13, 2020 4:18 am

40-50 mph is some serious wind

can't blame a window for creaking in that

Sat December 19, 2020 6:20 pm

Squirrel got into our air duct and died. Took us a week and three different companies to figure out where the death smell was coming from. And about $500. Merry Christmas

Sat December 19, 2020 6:43 pm

Gonna See My Taxidermist

Sat December 19, 2020 7:55 pm

Squirreal Thing

Sat December 19, 2020 7:57 pm

Squirrelwide Suicide

Sat December 19, 2020 8:01 pm

Given to Die

Sat December 19, 2020 8:01 pm

wease wrote:Squirrelwide Suicide

also would have accepted:

Worldwide Sciuridae

Tue December 22, 2020 5:03 pm

It rained like a motherfucker here yesterday, and I went down to my crawlspace just to have a look. There is a lot of water pooled under the vapor barrier. Just a few little spots where it came up above the vapor barrier, I'm really not concerned about that. And I know the water will eventually (probably by today) slowly drain down grade on its own. But there was pooling of at least a couple inches ... from the top it kinda felt like a water bed.

Should I be concerned about this? Water pooling UNDER the vapor barrier?

Tue December 22, 2020 5:30 pm

Bammer wrote:It rained like a motherfucker here yesterday, and I went down to my crawlspace just to have a look. There is a lot of water pooled under the vapor barrier. Just a few little spots where it came up above the vapor barrier, I'm really not concerned about that. And I know the water will eventually (probably by today) slowly drain down grade on its own. But there was pooling of at least a couple inches ... from the top it kinda felt like a water bed.

Yes, I think you should be concerned.

We had an issue with our lawn irrigation system that saw some water getting under our vapor barrier -- this was due to the location of the manifold, and had nothing to do with our foundation.

I spoke with a plumber, and his take was that for the small amount of water, and the very dry climate we live in, he wasn't the least bit worried...

But yours sounds like it's possibly a crack in the foundation, and you're obviously in a much more humid climate. Better to get it checked out.

Tue December 22, 2020 6:02 pm

tragabigzanda wrote:
Bammer wrote:It rained like a motherfucker here yesterday, and I went down to my crawlspace just to have a look. There is a lot of water pooled under the vapor barrier. Just a few little spots where it came up above the vapor barrier, I'm really not concerned about that. And I know the water will eventually (probably by today) slowly drain down grade on its own. But there was pooling of at least a couple inches ... from the top it kinda felt like a water bed.

We had an issue with our lawn irrigation system that saw some water getting under our vapor barrier -- this was due to the location of the manifold, and had nothing to do with our foundation.

I spoke with a plumber, and his take was that for the small amount of water, and the very dry climate we live in, he wasn't the least bit worried...

But yours sounds like it's possibly a crack in the foundation, and you're obviously in a much more humid climate. Better to get it checked out.

Because _________ will happen if water sits there?

Tue December 22, 2020 6:10 pm

Better call up your hack inspector Bam.

Tue December 22, 2020 7:01 pm

Bammer wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

I am no structural engineer, but my understanding is that setting your domicile on a swamp is not a good idea.

My concern is that this is a sign of hairline cracks in your foundation, which will only become more problematic (and definitely impact the resale value of your home).

Wed December 23, 2020 1:06 am

definitely without knowing exactly what's going on time to shell out $13k for a french drain + sump pump

Wed December 23, 2020 1:20 am

tragabigzanda wrote:
Bammer wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

I am no structural engineer, but my understanding is that setting your domicile on a swamp is not a good idea.

My concern is that this is a sign of hairline cracks in your foundation, which will only become more problematic (and definitely impact the resale value of your home).

Correct. COuld indicate poor drainage as well. You might start seeing cracks in your sidewalk, driveway, foundation, patio's.....

Wed December 23, 2020 1:32 am

i found vaporwave in the crawlspace once

Wed December 23, 2020 1:49 am

Banner, ignore these guys. You’re fine. Nothing to worry about.
Post a reply