Switch to full style
Books, movies, television...
Post a reply

Re: The Home Improvement Thread

Thu July 23, 2020 7:56 pm

wease wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:
Mickey wrote:I always assumed this thread was about the show.

nearly 1400 posts discussing the zany life of Tim the Toolman Taylor

Don’t forget Al

And the Tool Time Girls.

Fri July 24, 2020 11:34 pm

Just had our AC units serviced today. Should be good for the rest of the summer. It's so fucking hot

Fri July 24, 2020 11:44 pm

i had a condenser stop working a couple weeks ago. fortunately they came and fixed it for $150. the one that broke is nearing 20 yrs old. gonna see how much longer i can ride this puppy

Sun July 26, 2020 7:39 pm

Had to do some downspout repair today. That stuff is not as pliable as you would think

Mon July 27, 2020 12:54 am

Bump

Mon July 27, 2020 1:15 am

E.H. Ruddock wrote:Had to do some downspout repair today. That stuff is not as pliable as you would think

Did you cut yourself at all?

What tools did you have to use to do the bending?

Did you have to saw at all?

I have a dryer vent that needs to be way-shortened on the inside.

Because I have to borrow a metal cutter saw thing, it puts that task in the to-do priority category of Probably Will Never Happen

Mon July 27, 2020 2:08 am

i remember trying to cut a downspout once and being shocked at how stubborn it was

Mon July 27, 2020 2:09 am

should i go with laminate flooring? lowe's has some really good prices right now

Mon July 27, 2020 3:31 am

lennytheweedwhacker wrote:should i go with laminate flooring? lowe's has some really good prices right now

But LVP is so hot right now.

Mon July 27, 2020 3:33 am

ghost wrote:
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:should i go with laminate flooring? lowe's has some really good prices right now

i honestly don't know the pluses/minuses of either...i just want something cheap, durable, and is the color i like (which i should be able to find no matter the type)...anything is better than my crappy carpet

Mon July 27, 2020 3:35 am

lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
ghost wrote:

what is that

Luxury Vinyl Plank. It's...luxurious.

Mon July 27, 2020 3:36 am

ghost wrote:
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
ghost wrote:

what is that

Luxury Vinyl Plank. It's...luxurious.

sry i'm sleepy...is that in your new house?

Mon July 27, 2020 3:39 am

Not yet, but we're having a couple of contractors come out to show samples/do estimates this week. LVP seems like the best bang for the buck but I don't really know.

Mon July 27, 2020 3:41 am

ghost wrote:Not yet, but we're having a couple of contractors come out to show samples/do estimates this week. LVP seems like the best bang for the buck but I don't really know.

i know a guy who owns a business that does insurance based home repairs...he was trying to sell me on engineered hardwood, and said he could probably get me a deal and someone to install it on the cheap...even if it's a good deal it may be more than i'd want to spend

Mon July 27, 2020 3:45 am

Is your house like 3500 sf?

Mon July 27, 2020 3:49 am

ghost wrote:Is your house like 3500 sf?

around 1500...it's all carpet and ceramic tile with probably about 1000 sf being carpet

i'll probably keep the tile and at least do the rest of the downstairs in hardwood/laminate/whatever...pretty sure i'll do the upstairs too

Tue July 28, 2020 2:14 am

tragabigzanda wrote:Found the main valve for the manifold that feeds our irrigation system. I tell the guy on the phone "When I opened it a quarter turn, the pressure felt pretty intense. How much should I open this thing to feed the system?"

"All the way."

"Seriously? You're not worried it's going to split the manifold?"

"No, it should be fine."

I open it all the way. Immediately hear a tremendous gushing sound. Run-crawl across the width of our crawl space, up the hatch, and outside to see the -- gasp! -- manifold split and water spewing all over the place. Run back in, get my floor all muddy, down through the hatch, turn the thing off. Called the professionals. :finger:

Fixed! Don’t have to water with the hose no more.

Now if I could talk my wife into getting one of doug’s bidet attachments...

Tue July 28, 2020 2:28 am

congrats

i have a sprinkler system in the back but never developed the courage to turn it on

the previous owner had a tendency to run everything down to fully depreciated / malfunctioned state

i need to have a sprinkler guy come and try it one day

some day

Tue July 28, 2020 2:30 am

i think my water heater might be 20 years old actually

anyone have tankless?

tinkering with the idea

Tue July 28, 2020 3:52 am

Our sprinklers are on a well, so it's free irrigation. It's great
Post a reply