Switch to full style
Books, movies, television...
Post a reply

Re: The Home Improvement Thread

Mon July 20, 2020 1:35 pm

What kind of premium bird seed are you feeding them? A $20 bag of black oil sunflower seeds and some thistle usually lasts me 2-3 months.

Mon July 20, 2020 1:54 pm

tragabigzanda wrote:When we moved into our new place, one of the first things I did was hey a couple of bird feeders: an old school wooden bird house for finches and things like that, and a hummingbird feeder. The bird house takes both bird seed, plus there are racks on either side of the unit to house these suet-fruit-nut bricks that attract different types of birds; then you use nectar for the hummingbirds.

I figured I’d be looking at like $15/mo in bird food, but I was WAY off. Fuckers are voracious, so I’m looking at like $20/week!

I wonder if birds will eat Cheerios?

My birds ate food at a voracious pace, so I bought cheap, shitty stuff, now they don't eat it at all. :(

Mon July 20, 2020 2:00 pm

Quite the 1-2 punch there, guys

Mon July 20, 2020 2:03 pm

Do you have squirrels eating it too and you aren't seeing them? We use birdseed with hot pepper seeds in. The birds like it but there squirrels don't. We usually have to refill the feeder every two weeks.

Also, when I joined this board 14 years ago, I never thought I'd be sharing bird seed practices

Mon July 20, 2020 2:07 pm

Hmm, this might be good advice. I’ll look into it at the bird store.

Mon July 20, 2020 2:16 pm

tragabigzanda wrote:Hmm, this might be good advice. I’ll look into it at the bird store.

American Eagle?

Mon July 20, 2020 2:34 pm

Not a single seed has been eaten from our feeder. We put it out like 5 months ago.

Mon July 20, 2020 2:38 pm

E.H. Ruddock wrote:Do you have squirrels eating it too and you aren't seeing them? We use birdseed with hot pepper seeds in. The birds like it but there squirrels don't. We usually have to refill the feeder every two weeks.

Also, when I joined this board 14 years ago, I never thought I'd be sharing bird seed practices

Mon July 20, 2020 2:48 pm

Is that really for birds?

Mon July 20, 2020 2:52 pm

Yeah. Birds pay it no mind, and squirrels stay the fuck away.

Mon July 20, 2020 2:56 pm

Thanks team.

Mon July 20, 2020 3:15 pm

We use something like this

Mon July 20, 2020 3:16 pm

E.H. Ruddock wrote:Image

We use something like this

Yeah, that's the stuff that I couldn't afford to keep in stock.

Mon July 20, 2020 3:17 pm

Ours has been claimed by some local cardinals. They chase away the smaller birds, so it doesn't go fast because they are the only ones eating it now. Even though there is a bluebird nest like 10 feet from it. I might start scaring the cardinals away.

Mon July 20, 2020 3:18 pm

E.H. Ruddock wrote:Ours has been claimed by some local cardinals. They chase away the smaller birds, so it doesn't go fast because they are the only ones eating it now. Even though there is a bluebird nest like 10 feet from it. I might start scaring the cardinals away.

You gonna blast Superblood Wolfmoon?

Mon July 20, 2020 3:33 pm

I love my cardinals. Without them we would only have chickadees and house finches.

Mon July 20, 2020 6:04 pm

Im not sure what has happened, but twice now, chaos has been the scene of our hummingbird feeder.

When we came back from our first Covid trip, the bird feeder was empty and laying on top of the grill right side up. The second time we came home from a Rona Trip, the hummingbird feeder was completely empty and the deck is covered in sticky sugar water.

I know those things are vicious and super territorial but i can only assume some sort of hummingbird orgy or massacre when we leave.

Mon July 20, 2020 6:04 pm

E.H. Ruddock wrote:Do you have squirrels eating it too and you aren't seeing them? We use birdseed with hot pepper seeds in. The birds like it but there squirrels don't. We usually have to refill the feeder every two weeks.

lol and we hate pearl jam for dad rock

Mon July 20, 2020 7:15 pm

Strat wrote:Im not sure what has happened, but twice now, chaos has been the scene of our hummingbird feeder.

When we came back from our first Covid trip, the bird feeder was empty and laying on top of the grill right side up. The second time we came home from a Rona Trip, the hummingbird feeder was completely empty and the deck is covered in sticky sugar water.

I know those things are vicious and super territorial but i can only assume some sort of hummingbird orgy or massacre when we leave.

Sounds like a bear took it down

Mon July 20, 2020 7:32 pm

CopperTom wrote:
Strat wrote:Im not sure what has happened, but twice now, chaos has been the scene of our hummingbird feeder.

Sounds like a bear took it down

While we definitely have bears, i would be shocked if a bear made it into our fenced back yard
Post a reply