The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2545 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52 ... 128  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Home Improvement Thread
PostPosted: Sat June 15, 2019 6:52 pm 
mXn

washing machine wrote:
We should start a lattice thread.

Back to this topic. The occasional baseball toss would go over my dad’s head growing up, and damage the top foot or so of the fence which was accented with lattice. Seemed like a bitch to fix that - fickle material.

PostPosted: Sat June 15, 2019 7:04 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Bammer wrote:
washing machine wrote:
We should start a lattice thread.

Back to this topic. The occasional baseball toss would go over my dad’s head growing up, and damage the top foot or so of the fence which was accented with lattice. Seemed like a bitch to fix that - fickle material.

I like vinyl lattice for this reason. It's not as attractive, but so much less maintenance.

PostPosted: Sat June 15, 2019 7:05 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

swan wrote:
washing machine wrote:
swan wrote:
washing machine wrote:
What's everyone's experience with home security systems? I don't really know where to begin to shop or what I would need.

Back in my loser early-20s I worked for an ADT contractor installing & programming alarm systems. It was a shitty job but I got some good knowledge out of it. Wireless systems have come so far in the last 10 years. When we bought our house 3 years ago my wife insisted on an alarm (which I did agree with)

She got a big discount code on a SimpliSafe system, the one that advertises on all the podcasts. I was skeptical & looked in to the tech, etc. It's all wireless & super easy to install, no real programming required. The one thing you do need is strong wifi in the house. After 3 years I have been pleasantly surprised with how it's worked. For the price point I don't think it can be beat. Nice functionality with their app too.

I have not been paid for this recommendation.

Thanks. That's really good info. I'm looking at PC Mag side by side reviews right now and SimpliSafe's lack of professional install has me interested. I guess my biggest fear is either getting too much or not enough components to add-on. I know I need cameras on doors and motion sensors at a minimum. Maybe a camera in the dog's daytime area too while we're at work.

One of the big pros of SimpliSafe is how easy it is to install/set up yourself. I was blown away, and also laughing at my old assholes bosses at the ADT shop. Their whole business model is fucked nowadays. Which is good because that industry got away with gouging the shit out of people for a long time.

I'm all about securing my home and disrupting a corporate monolith in the process.

PostPosted: Wed June 19, 2019 6:38 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

the guys came today to install the new stove..our gas line has to be moved about 2 feet...doug is mad...

PostPosted: Wed June 19, 2019 6:44 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

doug rr wrote:
the guys came today to install the new stove..our gas line has to be moved about 2 feet...doug is mad...

nightmare

PostPosted: Wed June 19, 2019 6:47 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

we're getting all new windows and plantation-shutter window treatments throughout the house. jesus that's expensive.

PostPosted: Wed June 19, 2019 6:50 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

im not sure but i might be broke now

PostPosted: Wed June 19, 2019 7:36 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

doug rr wrote:

aren't you taking another international trip in a couple of weeks?

PostPosted: Wed June 19, 2019 7:45 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Chris_H_2 wrote:
doug rr wrote:

aren't you taking another international trip in a couple of weeks?

just to eat and see things..

PostPosted: Wed June 19, 2019 7:50 pm 
AnalLog

doug rr wrote:

Oh no, that is usually very expensive. Vibes to your wallet.

PostPosted: Sun June 23, 2019 9:10 pm 
The Master

this is in the wrong forum

PostPosted: Sun June 23, 2019 9:57 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Did B just assume it was about the TV show?

PostPosted: Mon June 24, 2019 12:20 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

today is going to be a long day...i just want to be able to leave for one hour and go to breakfast

PostPosted: Mon June 24, 2019 12:31 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

washing machine wrote:
Did B just assume it was about the TV show?

Naw, I pulled it here when I was trying to kill GD.

Also, good home improvement is an art.

PostPosted: Wed June 26, 2019 5:27 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

the new fridge is hooked up to the waterline now..i know it doesn't sound like a big deal but this is my first ever fridge with the water dispenser and ice in the door..pretty stoked..

PostPosted: Wed June 26, 2019 6:08 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

How is this possible?!

PostPosted: Wed June 26, 2019 6:13 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
How is this possible?!

i wish i knew...we never had one growing up..i never had one as a renter..and as a homeowner I've had nice fridges but they've never had the feature on the outside door..this is my first one

PostPosted: Wed June 26, 2019 6:14 pm 
The Master

doug rr wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
How is this possible?!

i wish i knew...we never had one growing up..i never had one as a renter..and as a homeowner I've had nice fridges but they've never had the feature on the outside door..this is my first one

This is exciting

PostPosted: Wed June 26, 2019 6:16 pm 
The Master

I have shitty composite wood doors.

The hinge which is screwed to the door frame and into the shitty composite wood door is loose because the holes in the shitty composite wood doors are stripped. So....

What should i do? can i Fill the hole with some sort of wood fill and rescrew it in?

PostPosted: Thu June 27, 2019 12:34 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

swan wrote:
washing machine wrote:
swan wrote:
washing machine wrote:
What's everyone's experience with home security systems? I don't really know where to begin to shop or what I would need.

Back in my loser early-20s I worked for an ADT contractor installing & programming alarm systems. It was a shitty job but I got some good knowledge out of it. Wireless systems have come so far in the last 10 years. When we bought our house 3 years ago my wife insisted on an alarm (which I did agree with)

She got a big discount code on a SimpliSafe system, the one that advertises on all the podcasts. I was skeptical & looked in to the tech, etc. It's all wireless & super easy to install, no real programming required. The one thing you do need is strong wifi in the house. After 3 years I have been pleasantly surprised with how it's worked. For the price point I don't think it can be beat. Nice functionality with their app too.

I have not been paid for this recommendation.

Thanks. That's really good info. I'm looking at PC Mag side by side reviews right now and SimpliSafe's lack of professional install has me interested. I guess my biggest fear is either getting too much or not enough components to add-on. I know I need cameras on doors and motion sensors at a minimum. Maybe a camera in the dog's daytime area too while we're at work.

One of the big pros of SimpliSafe is how easy it is to install/set up yourself. I was blown away, and also laughing at my old assholes bosses at the ADT shop. Their whole business model is fucked nowadays. Which is good because that industry got away with gouging the shit out of people for a long time.

we have FrontPoint, which is the same idea as SimpliSafe. i dig it. the install is dead simple (or as complex as you want it to be), and if you move you can take it with you. you can start small and add to the system whenever you want.

one thing to think about with those systems, and this may be totally different depending on which company you use .... is that some base stations are wifi-only, and some are wifi + cellular. opt for the wifi + cellular. if you have wifi-only and your internet goes down (like ours does every few days), then your system goes down with it. if you have wifi+cellular, if your wifi goes down (or a thief cuts your power), then the base station will fall back to a cellular connection and will still contact the security operators if an event happens

shop for cameras. the ones for FrontPoint weren't great quality for the price, so i opted for an outdoors Nest camera + subscription. came to about the same price.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2545 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52 ... 128  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment