The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1994 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89 ... 100  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: The Home Improvement Thread
PostPosted: Tue November 03, 2020 4:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Mind Your Tanners
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 6:02 am
Posts: 9715
Location: Tristes Tropiques
I meant how the windows respond to strong wind gusts. He did check the windows, of course.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Home Improvement Thread
PostPosted: Tue November 03, 2020 4:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Mind Your Tanners
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 6:02 am
Posts: 9715
Location: Tristes Tropiques
Anyway I gather that the window should not creak.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Home Improvement Thread
PostPosted: Wed November 11, 2020 5:34 pm 
Offline
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 14, 2020 5:06 pm
Posts: 1342
Location: northwest midwest
Hung christmas lights last weekend. IMHO, it improved our home.

I'm usually a no-xmas-til-after-Thanksgiving kinda guy but this year feels different.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Home Improvement Thread
PostPosted: Wed November 11, 2020 5:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Not as great as you think
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 24, 2013 4:32 am
Posts: 17639
Location: Growing dick, fixing and filing things.
Take it to the War On CHRISTmas thread

_________________
If you’re reading this, you are an RMer in the year 2021 and you have some life decisions to make.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Home Improvement Thread
PostPosted: Fri November 13, 2020 4:18 am 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Sun September 15, 2013 5:50 am
Posts: 21864
40-50 mph is some serious wind

can't blame a window for creaking in that

_________________
All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Home Improvement Thread
PostPosted: Sat December 19, 2020 6:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:48 pm
Posts: 66334
Squirrel got into our air duct and died. Took us a week and three different companies to figure out where the death smell was coming from. And about $500. Merry Christmas

_________________
Clouuuuds Rolll byyy...BANG BANG BANG BANG


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Home Improvement Thread
PostPosted: Sat December 19, 2020 6:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 42163
Location: Different mountains than strat and bodysnatcher.
Gonna See My Taxidermist


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Home Improvement Thread
PostPosted: Sat December 19, 2020 7:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Sun September 15, 2013 5:50 am
Posts: 21864
Squirreal Thing

_________________
All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Home Improvement Thread
PostPosted: Sat December 19, 2020 7:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Major Dude
 Profile

Joined: Sat January 05, 2013 1:57 pm
Posts: 26832
Location: Where everybody knows your name
Squirrelwide Suicide

_________________
Let me tell you, Homer Simpson is cock of nothing!
- C. Montgomery Burns


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Home Improvement Thread
PostPosted: Sat December 19, 2020 8:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Mind Your Tanners
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 6:02 am
Posts: 9715
Location: Tristes Tropiques
Given to Die


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Home Improvement Thread
PostPosted: Sat December 19, 2020 8:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Sun September 15, 2013 5:50 am
Posts: 21864
wease wrote:
Squirrelwide Suicide


also would have accepted:

Worldwide Sciuridae

_________________
All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Home Improvement Thread
PostPosted: Tue December 22, 2020 5:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Not as great as you think
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 24, 2013 4:32 am
Posts: 17639
Location: Growing dick, fixing and filing things.
It rained like a motherfucker here yesterday, and I went down to my crawlspace just to have a look. There is a lot of water pooled under the vapor barrier. Just a few little spots where it came up above the vapor barrier, I'm really not concerned about that. And I know the water will eventually (probably by today) slowly drain down grade on its own. But there was pooling of at least a couple inches ... from the top it kinda felt like a water bed.

Should I be concerned about this? Water pooling UNDER the vapor barrier?

_________________
If you’re reading this, you are an RMer in the year 2021 and you have some life decisions to make.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Home Improvement Thread
PostPosted: Tue December 22, 2020 5:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 42163
Location: Different mountains than strat and bodysnatcher.
Bammer wrote:
It rained like a motherfucker here yesterday, and I went down to my crawlspace just to have a look. There is a lot of water pooled under the vapor barrier. Just a few little spots where it came up above the vapor barrier, I'm really not concerned about that. And I know the water will eventually (probably by today) slowly drain down grade on its own. But there was pooling of at least a couple inches ... from the top it kinda felt like a water bed.

Should I be concerned about this? Water pooling UNDER the vapor barrier?


Yes, I think you should be concerned.

We had an issue with our lawn irrigation system that saw some water getting under our vapor barrier -- this was due to the location of the manifold, and had nothing to do with our foundation.

I spoke with a plumber, and his take was that for the small amount of water, and the very dry climate we live in, he wasn't the least bit worried...

But yours sounds like it's possibly a crack in the foundation, and you're obviously in a much more humid climate. Better to get it checked out.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Home Improvement Thread
PostPosted: Tue December 22, 2020 6:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Not as great as you think
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 24, 2013 4:32 am
Posts: 17639
Location: Growing dick, fixing and filing things.
tragabigzanda wrote:
Bammer wrote:
It rained like a motherfucker here yesterday, and I went down to my crawlspace just to have a look. There is a lot of water pooled under the vapor barrier. Just a few little spots where it came up above the vapor barrier, I'm really not concerned about that. And I know the water will eventually (probably by today) slowly drain down grade on its own. But there was pooling of at least a couple inches ... from the top it kinda felt like a water bed.

Should I be concerned about this? Water pooling UNDER the vapor barrier?


Yes, I think you should be concerned.

We had an issue with our lawn irrigation system that saw some water getting under our vapor barrier -- this was due to the location of the manifold, and had nothing to do with our foundation.

I spoke with a plumber, and his take was that for the small amount of water, and the very dry climate we live in, he wasn't the least bit worried...

But yours sounds like it's possibly a crack in the foundation, and you're obviously in a much more humid climate. Better to get it checked out.

Because _________ will happen if water sits there?

_________________
If you’re reading this, you are an RMer in the year 2021 and you have some life decisions to make.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Home Improvement Thread
PostPosted: Tue December 22, 2020 6:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Mind Your Tanners
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 6:02 am
Posts: 9715
Location: Tristes Tropiques
Better call up your hack inspector Bam.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Home Improvement Thread
PostPosted: Tue December 22, 2020 7:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 42163
Location: Different mountains than strat and bodysnatcher.
Bammer wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Bammer wrote:
It rained like a motherfucker here yesterday, and I went down to my crawlspace just to have a look. There is a lot of water pooled under the vapor barrier. Just a few little spots where it came up above the vapor barrier, I'm really not concerned about that. And I know the water will eventually (probably by today) slowly drain down grade on its own. But there was pooling of at least a couple inches ... from the top it kinda felt like a water bed.

Should I be concerned about this? Water pooling UNDER the vapor barrier?


Yes, I think you should be concerned.

We had an issue with our lawn irrigation system that saw some water getting under our vapor barrier -- this was due to the location of the manifold, and had nothing to do with our foundation.

I spoke with a plumber, and his take was that for the small amount of water, and the very dry climate we live in, he wasn't the least bit worried...

But yours sounds like it's possibly a crack in the foundation, and you're obviously in a much more humid climate. Better to get it checked out.

Because _________ will happen if water sits there?

I am no structural engineer, but my understanding is that setting your domicile on a swamp is not a good idea.

My concern is that this is a sign of hairline cracks in your foundation, which will only become more problematic (and definitely impact the resale value of your home).


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Home Improvement Thread
PostPosted: Wed December 23, 2020 1:06 am 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Sun September 15, 2013 5:50 am
Posts: 21864
definitely without knowing exactly what's going on time to shell out $13k for a french drain + sump pump

_________________
All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Home Improvement Thread
PostPosted: Wed December 23, 2020 1:20 am 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:48 pm
Posts: 45306
Location: Mountains
tragabigzanda wrote:
Bammer wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Bammer wrote:
It rained like a motherfucker here yesterday, and I went down to my crawlspace just to have a look. There is a lot of water pooled under the vapor barrier. Just a few little spots where it came up above the vapor barrier, I'm really not concerned about that. And I know the water will eventually (probably by today) slowly drain down grade on its own. But there was pooling of at least a couple inches ... from the top it kinda felt like a water bed.

Should I be concerned about this? Water pooling UNDER the vapor barrier?


Yes, I think you should be concerned.

We had an issue with our lawn irrigation system that saw some water getting under our vapor barrier -- this was due to the location of the manifold, and had nothing to do with our foundation.

I spoke with a plumber, and his take was that for the small amount of water, and the very dry climate we live in, he wasn't the least bit worried...

But yours sounds like it's possibly a crack in the foundation, and you're obviously in a much more humid climate. Better to get it checked out.

Because _________ will happen if water sits there?

I am no structural engineer, but my understanding is that setting your domicile on a swamp is not a good idea.

My concern is that this is a sign of hairline cracks in your foundation, which will only become more problematic (and definitely impact the resale value of your home).


Correct. COuld indicate poor drainage as well. You might start seeing cracks in your sidewalk, driveway, foundation, patio's.....


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Home Improvement Thread
PostPosted: Wed December 23, 2020 1:32 am 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:21 pm
Posts: 72644
i found vaporwave in the crawlspace once

_________________
Dev wrote:
I was abused by mods


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Home Improvement Thread
PostPosted: Wed December 23, 2020 1:49 am 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 9:55 pm
Posts: 14307
Location: An office full of assholes
Banner, ignore these guys. You’re fine. Nothing to worry about.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1994 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89 ... 100  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Fri April 23, 2021 2:24 pm