The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2545 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51 ... 128  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Home Improvement Thread
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 10:10 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

washing machine wrote:
What would you do, doug?

i'd drink jameson and pay ruddo to do it

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 10:17 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

We should start a lattice thread.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 10:23 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

combine it with dime's pallets thread

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 3:03 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

The seller of the house I’m purchasing is offering to pay up to $600 for a home warranty plan, so I’m getting one regardless, but I’m curious if anyone here has one and has actually used it? After this first year, it seems like I would do better to put the amount I’d be spending per month into savings, but who knows.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 3:16 pm 
mXn

washing machine wrote:
The seller of the house I’m purchasing is offering to pay up to $600 for a home warranty plan, so I’m getting one regardless, but I’m curious if anyone here has one and has actually used it? After this first year, it seems like I would do better to put the amount I’d be spending per month into savings, but who knows.

Luck of the draw really. Look at what it covers and the age of your appliances.

Generally speaking if something needs repair, you make a “claim” (kinda like insurance) and you pay a service fee (call it $75 kinda like an insurance deductible) and someone comes out to fix or even replace it. Your out of pocket for any individual issue should not exceed that $75. One of the drawbacks can (possibly) be timing. If repair techs who are part of your warranty network are already booked out 3 weeks then you have to wait, or hire someone else outside the warranty plan who is available sooner depending on the urgency of the issue, which would cost $XXX as you’d be paying them full market rate.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 3:25 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Bammer wrote:
washing machine wrote:

Luck of the draw really. Look at what it covers and the age of your appliances.

Generally speaking if something needs repair, you make a “claim” (kinda like insurance) and you pay a service fee (call it $75 kinda like an insurance deductible) and someone comes out to fix or even replace it. Your out of pocket for any individual issue should not exceed that $75. One of the drawbacks can (possibly) be timing. If repair techs who are part of your warranty network are already booked out 3 weeks then you have to wait, or hire someone else outside the warranty plan who is available sooner depending on the urgency of the issue, which would cost $XXX as you’d be paying them full market rate.

That makes sense. Honestly, I doubt I'll renew after the initial plan expires. Everything in the house is new, and what's not in the house (fridge, washer/dryer, microwave) will come with its own warranty. I definitely like that we'll have this option as we settle into the first year of home ownership, though.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 4:58 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Yeah use it for the first year and see how you like it. Something may come up that you wouldn't even think of while in the process of purchasing the house.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 6:29 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Closing in two days. I look forward to visiting this thread often.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 9:14 pm 
mXn

washing machine wrote:
Closing in two days. I look forward to visiting this thread often.

Pearl Jam fans with enough money to buy their own house. That was never supposed to happen.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 4:27 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Seeing my dog take laps around the backyard and knowing that he won't explore the crawlspace is worth all the pain this lattice project brought me.

PostPosted: Tue June 04, 2019 2:18 pm 
The Master

Well, I failed. Tried to fix my leaky toilet but ended up causing more problems.

Its an original toilet and I replaced the fill valve. It worked for about two weeks before it started leaking elsewhere. I ended up replacing some of the gaskets and screws because it appeared that upon replacing the valve originally, it may have startled some of the older gaskets and other screws.

That worked for about 4 days. Now there is substantial water running from the bottom of the tank. I have tried to tighten everything up and make sure everything was plugged appropriately to no avail. Its almost as if the universal replacement kit makes the toilet tank unfit for the base of the toilet.

I failed as a main. Time to call in a pro.

PostPosted: Tue June 04, 2019 3:08 pm 
Major Dude

Don’t fret over it, Strat. It happens to the best of you.

PostPosted: Tue June 04, 2019 3:17 pm 
The Master

I'll never be whole.

PostPosted: Tue June 11, 2019 5:41 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

it looks like we get to go back to our house this saturday which would be awesome..will still be without the stove and sink for another week after that but i can deal with that..we knew we'd be eating out or ordering for awhile anyway..

PostPosted: Sat June 15, 2019 5:45 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

What's everyone's experience with home security systems? I don't really know where to begin to shop or what I would need.

PostPosted: Sat June 15, 2019 6:01 pm 
AnalLog

washing machine wrote:
What's everyone's experience with home security systems? I don't really know where to begin to shop or what I would need.

Back in my loser early-20s I worked for an ADT contractor installing & programming alarm systems. It was a shitty job but I got some good knowledge out of it. Wireless systems have come so far in the last 10 years. When we bought our house 3 years ago my wife insisted on an alarm (which I did agree with)

She got a big discount code on a SimpliSafe system, the one that advertises on all the podcasts. I was skeptical & looked in to the tech, etc. It's all wireless & super easy to install, no real programming required. The one thing you do need is strong wifi in the house. After 3 years I have been pleasantly surprised with how it's worked. For the price point I don't think it can be beat. Nice functionality with their app too.

I have not been paid for this recommendation.

PostPosted: Sat June 15, 2019 6:03 pm 
AnalLog

We just signed a contract for many thousands of dollars to have the exterior painted, including a bunch of little fixes. Should be a huge upgrade. Who need savings?

PostPosted: Sat June 15, 2019 6:13 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

swan wrote:
washing machine wrote:

Back in my loser early-20s I worked for an ADT contractor installing & programming alarm systems. It was a shitty job but I got some good knowledge out of it. Wireless systems have come so far in the last 10 years. When we bought our house 3 years ago my wife insisted on an alarm (which I did agree with)

She got a big discount code on a SimpliSafe system, the one that advertises on all the podcasts. I was skeptical & looked in to the tech, etc. It's all wireless & super easy to install, no real programming required. The one thing you do need is strong wifi in the house. After 3 years I have been pleasantly surprised with how it's worked. For the price point I don't think it can be beat. Nice functionality with their app too.

Thanks. That's really good info. I'm looking at PC Mag side by side reviews right now and SimpliSafe's lack of professional install has me interested. I guess my biggest fear is either getting too much or not enough components to add-on. I know I need cameras on doors and motion sensors at a minimum. Maybe a camera in the dog's daytime area too while we're at work.

PostPosted: Sat June 15, 2019 6:39 pm 
AnalLog

washing machine wrote:
swan wrote:
washing machine wrote:

Thanks. That's really good info. I'm looking at PC Mag side by side reviews right now and SimpliSafe's lack of professional install has me interested. I guess my biggest fear is either getting too much or not enough components to add-on. I know I need cameras on doors and motion sensors at a minimum. Maybe a camera in the dog's daytime area too while we're at work.

One of the big pros of SimpliSafe is how easy it is to install/set up yourself. I was blown away, and also laughing at my old assholes bosses at the ADT shop. Their whole business model is fucked nowadays. Which is good because that industry got away with gouging the shit out of people for a long time.

PostPosted: Sat June 15, 2019 6:40 pm 
AnalLog

I apologize for sounding like a podcast ad

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2545 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51 ... 128  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment