The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2545 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102 ... 128  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Home Improvement Thread
PostPosted: Sat March 27, 2021 12:39 am 
Gone

For 40k I'm going to need it to last forever

PostPosted: Sat March 27, 2021 12:45 am 
The Master

Bammer wrote:
I don’t need it to look perfect forever.

I do want the surface to perform and feel functional for a very long time though.

Biggest appeals in order:
- no more dirt/mud tracked into house
- it’s dry like 30 minutes after it rains
- being dry right away will encourage kids to use it more often, rains a lot here
- no more mowing or pulling weeds

wow none of this seems worth the price tag.

Tell your kids to not be idiots.

PostPosted: Sat March 27, 2021 1:03 am 
mXn

I can dream!

PostPosted: Sat March 27, 2021 2:11 am 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

What if you have a dog? The pee just sits there?

PostPosted: Sat March 27, 2021 2:57 am 
Rank This Poster

verb_to_trust wrote:
For 40k I'm going to need it to last forever

$40k is so much money. You can dump it all into one big project, but unless your house is huge, you can completely transform every room but the kitchen for $40k. We found a great old school local jack of all trades on Next Door, and he’s been fantastic.

PostPosted: Mon March 29, 2021 3:49 pm 
Major Dude

E.H. Ruddock wrote:

He said it dries quick. So basically, he wants his yard to reek of dog piss all the time.

PostPosted: Mon March 29, 2021 3:56 pm 
The Master

wease wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:

He said it dries quick. So basically, he wants his yard to reek of dog piss all the time.

we put down some of this a couple years ago; it has little drainage holes all over it. our dog pees on it and it's fine.

PostPosted: Mon March 29, 2021 3:59 pm 
AnalLog

We bought a pergola kit from Overstock. Wife and I are planning to assemble it ourselves. Will it end our marriage? Stay tuned.

PostPosted: Mon March 29, 2021 4:07 pm 
The Master

ghost wrote:
We bought a pergola kit from Overstock. Wife and I are planning to assemble it ourselves. Will it end our marriage? Stay tuned.

i've considered this path. keep us updated!

PostPosted: Mon March 29, 2021 6:03 pm 
Major Dude

spike wrote:
ghost wrote:

Ending your marriage over a pergola?

PostPosted: Mon March 29, 2021 6:16 pm 
The Master

wease wrote:
spike wrote:
ghost wrote:

Ending your marriage over a pergola?

lol

PostPosted: Tue March 30, 2021 2:13 am 
Major Dude

Got up on the roof this evening after I got home from work and cleaned off all the leaves that had accumulated thru the years. The layer against the roof was all decayed like a forest bed. Would’ve been a great compost heap.

(I also repaired a piece of equipment at work and felt great satisfaction upon completion, but we don’t have a thread for that).

PostPosted: Tue March 30, 2021 2:19 am 
mXn

wease wrote:
Got up on the roof this evening after I got home from work and cleaned off all the leaves that had accumulated thru the years. The layer against the roof was all decayed like a forest bed. Would’ve been a great compost heap.

(I also repaired a piece of equipment at work and felt great satisfaction upon completion, but we don’t have a thread for that).

Oh I beg to differ

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16206

PostPosted: Tue March 30, 2021 3:35 am 
Major Dude

Bammer wrote:
wease wrote:

Oh I beg to differ

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16206

That’s not a “repaired something at work” thread.

PostPosted: Tue April 06, 2021 10:28 pm 
Major Dude

At our stovetop in the new place, there is this bar along the backside of it. It has 6-7 buttons on it. They looked to be vent controls and such but they didn’t really do anything. From our first day in this house, I would push those buttons and nothing would happen. So Sunday, during our gathering, we’re in the kitchen and my brother sees the buttons and says “what does this do?” and presses a button. This 8 inch deep panel starts sliding up out of the island and a vent fan comes on. I’d been pressing these damn buttons for a month and he just walks in and BAM this fucking thing comes to life.

PostPosted: Tue April 06, 2021 10:29 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

wease wrote:
At our stovetop in the new place, there is this bar along the backside of it. It has 6-7 buttons on it. They looked to be vent controls and such but they didn’t really do anything. From our first day in this house, I would push those buttons and nothing would happen. So Sunday, during our gathering, we’re in the kitchen and my brother sees the buttons and says “what does this do?” and presses a button. This 8 inch deep panel starts sliding up out of the island and a vent fan comes on. I’d been pressing these damn buttons for a month and he just walks in and BAM this fucking thing comes to life.

Be grateful, not annoyed.

PostPosted: Tue April 06, 2021 10:36 pm 
Major Dude

LetMeSleep wrote:
wease wrote:

Oh, I was grateful to him. But annoyed at the stupid appliance for making me look like a dumbass.

PostPosted: Tue April 06, 2021 10:38 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

wease wrote:
LetMeSleep wrote:
wease wrote:

Oh, I was grateful to him. But annoyed at the stupid appliance for making me look like a dumbass.

That shit pisses me off so much.

PostPosted: Thu April 08, 2021 3:13 pm 
See you in another life, brother

So we ended up painting the inside of our house instead of sod-cutting that weekend. I sod-cutted the following weekend. It went more smoothly than I imagined it would, I was pretty convinced I was going to fail miserably with it. The biggest challenge was getting it out of the truck and started up the first time, but the actual sod cutting was pretty easy. Well, except when I hit a soft patch and had to physically manhandle the machine out sunken dirt.

Clearing all the grass/weeds sucked. The yard was full of weeds so it mostly didn't roll up so that was by far the toughest part of the job.

This past weekend we made an island in the yard and put in a couple of palm trees and a bunch of plants, so now it's down to prepping the yard (dirt) for laying the sod on Saturday.

PostPosted: Sat April 10, 2021 10:05 pm 
AnalLog

ghost wrote:

Did most of this today. Went surprisingly well. You can't really do it with only 2 people though. A friend stopped by to drop off a hammer drill and ended up helping us with the steps that involved standing up the posts and connecting them to the joists. Not sure how two people would manage that unless they were experienced builders. Anyway, just have to install the bar table and anchor it to the patio tomorrow. The instructions said 8 hours but it'll be closer to 12.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2545 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102 ... 128  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment