Switch to full style
Books, movies, television...
Post a reply

Re: the harry potter thread

Tue March 05, 2019 11:11 pm

VinylGuy wrote:It was lazy, boring, uninterested. Specially when it could have ended with Harry´s death. THAT could have been perfect, but i guess they got gold feet about it.

So, we got them farting while they wave goodbye to their kids.

Wrong wrong wrong

Harry dying would make no sense thematically

Seeing their kids off is the thematic key to EVERYTHING

The epilogue is absolutely vital

Tue March 05, 2019 11:16 pm

Harry´s death is amazing. Him being the only one to stop Voldemort. Him being the legend he is hinted to be.

Them sending off their kids is the most boring, lazy, obvious moment of the franchise. Its almost as if they did it for BOBBY POTTER AND WHATEVER COMES NEXT.

Tue March 05, 2019 11:19 pm

You didn’t understand these movies at all!!!!!!!!!

Tue March 05, 2019 11:22 pm

Maybe i didnt get the moment where they explain its important to end the franchise on such a boring note.

But, BOBBY POTTER AND HIS FARTING FAMILY WAITING ON THE TRAIN LANE could be next so....fingers crossed.

Wed March 06, 2019 1:02 am

If you follow the metaphorical arc of the series and Harry, it deals with a lot of trauma narratives, particularly in how Voldemort killed Harry’s parents. I think Voldemort himself represents trauma in a way, and the pain Harry feels in his scar whenever V is around symbolizes his connection to that trauma and how it still affects him. That’s part of what makes the movies so moving to me - you’re watching Harry go through all kinds of things that are slowly but surely leading him toward catharsis, toward overcoming the pain of his trauma and how it affects him. The final line of book crystallizes this even more: “The scar had not pained Harry for 19 years. All was well.”

To end with him dying would be a betrayal of all of that. It makes no sense to me. This reminds me of complaints about how triumphant and happy Return of the Jedi ultimately is. To me, there’s no other way to end it that makes any sense if you look at the thematic subtext that’s been built across multiple preceding movies. To want a meaningless death just seems like a hollow want for darkness because...I dunno, it’s cool and edgy, I guess?

The epilogue brings all of it to another level, though. I believe I’ve talked about this before on RM, but it really made me understand the profundity of parenthood in a way I hadn’t before. To have gone on this long journey with Harry, Hermoine, and Ron and to have seen them go through so many adventures and challenges and life-changing events, and then to wind up back at the start watching them watch their own children starting their own journeys, feeling that same innocent wonder and joy they once experienced...man, that’s powerful stuff. It redefines the entire journey we just experienced and colors it with a new depth. It makes me cry every time.

Wed March 06, 2019 2:17 am

I always get choked up when the cop checks for Harry’s pulse and shakes his head.

Wed March 06, 2019 2:29 am

VinylGuy wrote:It was lazy, boring, uninterested. Specially when it could have ended with Harry´s death. THAT could have been perfect, but i guess they got gold feet about it.

You know this is a children's story, right?

Wed March 06, 2019 2:34 am

cutuphalfdead wrote:

You know this is a children's story, right?

Children must learn about death. Whats better than see their idol dying for all of his friends?

Wed March 06, 2019 2:35 am

bart wrote:I always get choked up when the cop checks for Harry’s pulse and shakes his head.

Im scared we get the new Breaking Bad movie and Walter White is there. And B was right.

Mon March 18, 2019 4:02 am

Jeez, The Crimes of Grindelwald is a mess. So convoluted. They tried to cram in so much boring story exposition that they forgot all the little moments that makes this franchise enjoyable. Why did Rowling write this screenplay solo? Dear god, please get Steve Kloves to do it again.

Mon March 18, 2019 7:59 pm

LoathedVermin72 wrote:Jeez, The Crimes of Grindelwald is a mess. So convoluted. They tried to cram in so much boring story exposition that they forgot all the little moments that makes this franchise enjoyable. Why did Rowling write this screenplay solo? Dear god, please get Steve Kloves to do it again.

i didn’t care for either of the fantastic beasts flicks, but the first was definitely better

Mon March 18, 2019 9:20 pm

I havent seen the first one, but the second one was messy yeah. Still the main thing with me is the main guy...he is awful...I just want him to die.

Mon March 18, 2019 9:32 pm

VinylGuy wrote:I havent seen the first one, but the second one was messy yeah. Still the main thing with me is the main guy...he is awful...I just want him to die.

redmayne?

Mon March 18, 2019 10:03 pm

lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:I havent seen the first one, but the second one was messy yeah. Still the main thing with me is the main guy...he is awful...I just want him to die.

redmayne?

yeah.

Mon March 18, 2019 10:10 pm

VinylGuy wrote:

redmayne?

yeah.

yeah i don’t really understand the approach to that character

Mon March 18, 2019 10:19 pm

VinylGuy wrote:

redmayne?

yeah.

yeah i don’t really understand the approach to that character

He is so fucking dull. So boring.

Sat July 31, 2021 1:42 am

Anyone else find it way out of character for Voldemort to hug Malfoy?

Mon December 13, 2021 11:15 pm

Tue December 14, 2021 3:27 pm

I legit thought this project had been fully cancelled. So, yeah, I fucking teared up when out of nowhere a trailer dropped. This looks great. And Jude Law is going to fucking own this movie. What inspired casting.

Tue January 04, 2022 4:26 pm

Watching the reunion now. Enjoying it.
Post a reply