The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post subject: Re: Movie: Ender's Game 11.1.13
PostPosted: Fri November 08, 2013 12:35 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

B wrote:
turned2black wrote:
Card's a Mormon what the hell would you expect?

I expect him to write books, talk about how important God is in his life, and to donate his money to feeding the poor.

A round of applause for B!

PostPosted: Fri November 08, 2013 11:56 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

BurtReynolds wrote:
I read somewhere that he wasn't taking any of the profits from the movie, if that eases your mind or whatever.

He won't get direct royalties, but whether or not he'll profit is debatable.

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2013/oc ... d-anti-gay

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/entertai ... ard/71136/

PostPosted: Sat November 09, 2013 12:10 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

The book is great. However, after reading it I also found out about Card, and despite owning several of his other books, I have not read them. Heard Ender's Shadow and Speaker Of The Dead are more than worth it.

I agree with what was said about Mel Gibson earlier. I'll also watch his movies, and the same for most other artists I don't agree with. But it seems to affect me more when it comes to Card. I'll watch the movie though.

Last edited by Anders on Sat November 09, 2013 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat November 09, 2013 12:35 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

I kinda wonder about the point of a boycott. Does it accomplish anything more than teaching people to hide their real opinions on something? Would he suddenly see the error of his ways and really change? Is it a pat on the back for crushing a bigot? It would make sense if there was a message in the movie about it.

Just seems like the automatic response is boycott. whats the goal?

edit: I guess in a round about way it might keep him from funneling profits into anti-gay groups. But then he probably has more money than God by now anyway. oh well. I haven't seen it because it looks like crap.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

Last edited by BurtReynolds on Sat November 09, 2013 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat November 09, 2013 12:42 am 
what on earth am I talking about

Ok I finished this book today and really really enjoyed it but Card is hiding something. I lost count of the times it's about naked boys, showers, people touching him in his sleep. This guys probably not gay, but he does have a badly disguised ephebophilic or even paediohilic streak in him. Also could hear his own voice and opinion coming through far too often in matters religious. Still a great book and I'm 50/50 if I want to see the film after it.

PostPosted: Sat November 09, 2013 2:06 am 
post-structuralist

dimejinky99 wrote:
Ok I finished this book today and really really enjoyed it but Card is hiding something. I lost count of the times it's about naked boys, showers, people touching him in his sleep. This guys probably not gay, but he does have a badly disguised ephebophilic or even paediohilic streak in him. Also could hear his own voice and opinion coming through far too often in matters religious. Still a great book and I'm 50/50 if I want to see the film after it.

highly religious people have a tendency of having a lot of, uh, repression to process through...
my opinion.

Spoiler: show
people change. people stay the same. people are so often disappointing - random PM, person unnamed

PostPosted: Sat November 09, 2013 5:16 am 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

BurtReynolds wrote:
I kinda wonder about the point of a boycott. Does it accomplish anything more than teaching people to hide their real opinions on something? Would he suddenly see the error of his ways and really change? Is it a pat on the back for crushing a bigot? It would make sense if there was a message in the movie about it.

edit: I guess in a round about way it might keep him from funneling profits into anti-gay groups. But then he probably has more money than God by now anyway. oh well. I haven't seen it because it looks like crap.

According to the article in Sunday's paper he claims he's deeply in debt right now and rushing to finish obligations so that a second stroke wont leave his wife an in-debt widow. It will probably result in some fanttastic novels.

PostPosted: Sat November 09, 2013 7:12 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

B wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:

According to the article in Sunday's paper he claims he's deeply in debt right now and rushing to finish obligations so that a second stroke wont leave his wife an in-debt widow. It will probably result in some fanttastic novels.

What a silly little man.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 1:50 am 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

So I watched this tonight. Was ok, even enjoyable. Until the end, then it just shit all over the place.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 2:34 am 
The worst

I'm afraid to watch this given the withering level of scorn McP has for this. What if I like it? Can I sink lower than enjoying watching Harrison ford reprise Indian jones in crystal skull?

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 1:30 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

I just watched it the other day and agree with ruddo..it's a good little movie but then takes the end of the book and completely squashes it down into what actually happens but gives absolutely no explanation why, other than him feeling guilty. (there was a lot more to that in the book).

I know the books are a series. I cant see any sequels being made from this.

The main character is a cool little actor, plays the part really well, and Ford is just, well, Ford.

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment