The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Halloween (2018)
PostPosted: Sat October 20, 2018 1:38 pm 
The Master

I thought there was an age limit for r rated movies. At least there was when I was a kid.

There were no less than 25 12-14 year olds. Ugh. Wouldn’t shut up and we’re super immature about everything.

And even worse there was this adult couple behind us that were talking the entire movie. 4 different people including me had to tell them to shut up. They were worse than the teenagers. They might have been on something. Just Fucking awful.

PostPosted: Sat October 20, 2018 6:50 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Sat October 20, 2018 6:56 pm 
Future Drummer

Burt, we expect better posting than that from you. I genuinely thought it was a B post initially.

PostPosted: Sat October 20, 2018 7:02 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

I apologize. I can't believe I underestimated an audience that consists of people who still watch Halloween movies.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Sat October 20, 2018 7:47 pm 
Future Drummer

How's the mouse comic coming?

PostPosted: Sat October 20, 2018 8:02 pm 
Future Drummer

Pithy comeback aside, I do have trouble making it through all of them but the third one these days.

PostPosted: Sat October 20, 2018 10:38 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

yeah i havent seen them again.

Im sure i will dive into H20 and H3 soon though.

PostPosted: Sun October 21, 2018 6:07 pm 
The Master

This movie was stupid and unnecessary and offered nothing new or exciting.

PostPosted: Sun October 21, 2018 6:28 pm 
The Master

Strat wrote:

I told you

PostPosted: Sun October 21, 2018 7:16 pm 
The Master

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Strat wrote:

I told you

Makes me love the rob zombie remake that much more.

This one felt like a remake. Sure it was a continuation but it just felt like a remake. You didn’t need to even see the original Halloween to see this movie. It was basically the same movie but only extended in the sense that Laurie strode had dealt with Meyers before.

“So you’re the new Loomis “

Yup.

PostPosted: Sun October 21, 2018 11:06 pm 
Future Drummer

Strat wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Strat wrote:

I told you

Makes me love the rob zombie remake that much more.

This one felt like a remake. Sure it was a continuation but it just felt like a remake. You didn’t need to even see the original Halloween to see this movie. It was basically the same movie but only extended in the sense that Laurie strode had dealt with Meyers before.

“So you’re the new Loomis “

Yup.

I really want to see this on the big screen but don't know if I can timewise... that said, do you realize how goddamn atrocious the second Zombie effort was?

PostPosted: Sun October 21, 2018 11:14 pm 
The Master

I like Zombie's sequel more than his first. Both of those movies would be awesome if it weren't for, you know, having to be Halloween remakes. He clearly feels beholden to the property in a way that weighs the movies down. I love the first half of the first one, but once it becomes, well, Halloween, it loses all momentum for me. The sequel has more opportunities to be its own thing, and while it still doesn't fully succeed, I think there's a lot of great stuff in it.

PostPosted: Sun October 21, 2018 11:22 pm 
The Master

VinylGuy wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
:hooray: I'm psyched, and I bet our little theater will even get it.

It definitely will. Gonna be a huge hit. Already tracking for a $60 million opening weekend.

Thats huge...im not sure if they ll reach that mark though.

Weekend estimate: $77.5 ($91 worldwide)

PostPosted: Sun October 21, 2018 11:29 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

I rewatched Zombie's H2 yesterday just to see if I still hated it, and yep I really do. His two films were absolutely unnecessary and did their absolute best to take away any mystique/fear from Michael Myers.

Why is Rob Zombie obsessed with depicting everyone as white trash pieces of shit? It gets old pretty quickly, and having Michael be a product of an abusive household as a kid is just god awful.

The sequel with all the white horse garbage is just downright offensive.

I know it might be cliché to say it, but explaining his origins in this way absolutely takes away the power of the character. Just like Hannibal Lecter - did we really need Hannibal Rising?

Michael is pure evil. No explanation needed. He's a supernatural force, seemingly indestructible. No motive, he just kills. That's fairly terrifying, and the new film at least keeps hold of that aspect of his character.

PostPosted: Sun October 21, 2018 11:32 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

I like the Zombie films. They are different and both of them look great.

Cant wait for the new movie.

PostPosted: Sun October 21, 2018 11:33 pm 
The Master

BootsToAsses wrote:
I rewatched Zombie's H2 yesterday just to see if I still hated it, and yep I really do. His two films were absolutely unnecessary and did their absolute best to take away any mystique/fear from Michael Myers.

Why is Rob Zombie obsessed with depicting everyone as white trash pieces of shit? It gets old pretty quickly, and having Michael be a product of an abusive household as a kid is just god awful.

I know it might be cliché to say it, but explaining his origins in this way absolutely takes away the power of the character. Just like Hannibal Lecter - did we really need Hannibal Rising?

Michael is pure evil. No explanation needed. He's a supernatural force, seemingly indestructible. No motive, he just kills. That's fairly terrifying, and the new film at least keeps hold of that aspect of his character.

In the original movie, sure. But Zombie's is clearly it's own thing, and Michael Myers is a very different character. There's nothing wrong with that.

Also, I'm gonna go ahead and say that a character being "pure evil" is not interesting or scary at all.

PostPosted: Sun October 21, 2018 11:38 pm 

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
BootsToAsses wrote:

In the original movie, sure. But Zombie's is clearly it's own thing, and Michael Myers is a very different character. There's nothing wrong with that.

Also, I'm gonna go ahead and say that a character being "pure evil" is not interesting or scary at all.

See, I always imagine that if I was being stalked and attacked by a psycho killer and ultimately got away, I would be more freaked out to find out there was no motive, no rhyme or reason. If I later found out he was from a broken home and was treated terribly as a child, I'd be tempted to sympathize with the madman! I don't want to sympathize with Michael.

I can appreciate Zombie giving us a different vision, and I totally respect it. It takes some balls to remake something so beloved and put an entirely different spin on it. I just think both films are utter trash for the most part :shake:

Laurie and Annie are pretty good, especially in the sequel. And I do enjoy some of Michael's brutality. The sequence in the hospital at the start of the second film is great. If they'd just gone for straight remake of the original sequel I'd be all in because Zombie managed to make it quite intense.

PostPosted: Sun October 21, 2018 11:42 pm 
The Master

BootsToAsses wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
BootsToAsses wrote:

See, I always imagine that if I was being stalked and attacked by a psycho killer and ultimately got away, I would be more freaked out to find out there was no motive, no rhyme or reason. If I later found out he was from a broken home and was treated terribly as a child, I'd be tempted to sympathize with the madman! I don't want to sympathize with Michael.

I can appreciate Zombie giving us a different vision, and I totally respect it. It takes some balls to remake something so beloved and put an entirely different spin on it. I just think both films are utter trash for the most part :shake:

Laurie and Annie are pretty good, especially in the sequel. And I do enjoy some of Michael's brutality. The sequence in the hospital at the start of the second film is great. If they'd just gone for straight remake of the original sequel I'd be all in because Zombie managed to make it quite intense.

I would say there's a difference between a killer having no motive (good idea) and a killer having no psychological framework for their madness (not such a good idea). The most interesting antagonists tend to be complex, IMO.

Yeah, that hospital sequence is brutal AF. For my money, the first 15 minutes of H2 are by far the best thing in the entire franchise.

And just so all my cards are on the table here, I think Carpenter's original is a very bad movie.

PostPosted: Sun October 21, 2018 11:44 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Loved Laurie in both of Rob´s movies. Man, those two are so good.

PostPosted: Sun October 21, 2018 11:48 pm 

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
BootsToAsses wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
BootsToAsses wrote:

I would say there's a difference between a killer having no motive (good idea) and a killer having no psychological framework for their madness (not such a good idea). The most interesting antagonists tend to be complex, IMO.

Yeah, that hospital sequence is brutal AF. For my money, the first 15 minutes of H2 are by far the best thing in the entire franchise.

And just so all my cards are on the table here, I think Carpenter's original is a very bad movie.

Yeah, it's some horrific sh*t going down in those opening 15 minutes. I love the way Laurie hides in that little booth thing and Michael just DESTROYS it and comes powering through to grab her before she wakes up. Scary as hell.

Do we really need Michael Myers to have a psychological framework for his madness? I don't need it, but I can see what you're saying.

The original film is a damn masterpiece. The first half is a tad slow and clumsy, but the final half hour is still sensational.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment