The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: TV: Watchmen (HBO)
PostPosted: Tue October 22, 2019 11:05 am 
Looks Like a Cat

durdencommatyler wrote:
That was fucking GREAT.

Like a fat kid to chocolate

Regina King crushed it in the pilot, but this is toxically political. I see a far greater chance of real world violence committed by people in Rorschach masks than Joker masks.

PostPosted: Tue October 22, 2019 12:34 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Bi_3 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
That was fucking GREAT.

Regina King crushed it in the pilot, but this is toxically political. I see a far greater chance of real world violence committed by people in Rorschach masks than Joker masks.

do you not know the origins of Watchmen and how it is actually a huge political commentary on our society?

PostPosted: Tue October 22, 2019 1:50 pm 
Rank This Poster

Why they use those maks though? I thought he was one of the "good "guys in the movie

PostPosted: Tue October 22, 2019 1:52 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Peeps wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
That was fucking GREAT.

do you not know the origins of Watchmen and how it is actually a huge political commentary on our society?

Yes, but that was before 'woke' and intersectionalist thought were trendy, so the politics was more anti-Reagan. This is Coates level stuff. It will be interesting to see if this catches on as more episodes air given that the racial conflict piece gets more and more in your face as it goes on.

PostPosted: Tue October 22, 2019 1:53 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

psychobain wrote:
Why they use those maks though? I thought he was one of the "good "guys in the movie

The movie misrepresented the intent of the character in the original story.

PostPosted: Tue October 22, 2019 2:34 pm 
Rank This Poster

Bi_3 wrote:
psychobain wrote:

I think i need to read something

PostPosted: Tue October 22, 2019 4:44 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

psychobain wrote:

He's a right-wing racist in the original graphic novel. Don't go by the movie. They changed a lot of who he is for the film. This is a sequel to the book not the show.

PostPosted: Tue October 22, 2019 4:48 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

psychobain wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
psychobain wrote:

I think i need to read something

Here's a great primer/recap of the graphic novel if you're looking for a quick, easy, catch-me-up:

https://collider.com/what-happens-in-wa ... ook-recap/

PostPosted: Tue October 22, 2019 5:02 pm 
AnalLog

durdencommatyler wrote:
psychobain wrote:

He's a right-wing racist in the original graphic novel. Don't go by the movie. They changed a lot of who he is for the film. This is a sequel to the book not the show.

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed October 23, 2019 3:17 am 
Production Police

Ehhhh....I don’t know about this pilot. Feels extremely toothless and formulaic; lots of “wouldn’t it look cool if...” without it making any sense or looking particularly cool.

My biggest issue is that it looks like a network show: no vibe or ambience, despite the obviously large budget. And this is so far some of the most boring soundtrack work Reznor and Ross have done. There’s a lifelessness to everything that I can’t get past.

The best thing that could happen is Lindelof gets bored and they let someone with a sense of cinematic style take over.

And while I don’t totally agree with Bi_3’s criticisms, I get where he’s coming from. The idea of an “oppressed liberal revenge fantasy” is pretty boring to me as it is, and this didn’t do much to sell me.

I’ll try another 1-2 eps because HBO has a terrific batting average, but I’ll gladly drop it if it doesn’t find some real edge, rather than its current MO of “an ABC show but we can say ‘fuck’!”

PostPosted: Wed October 23, 2019 3:41 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

Gotta digest this a bit more, but my initial reaction was that the pieces that leaned into the source material's mythology were more intriguing than anything else. So far I'm much more interested in how this world works vs. what's actually going on in it, if that makes sense.

I do have a feeling that the depiction of law enforcement is going to take some turns as the season moves on. I didn't read it as an "oppressed liberal revenge fantasy" at all--maybe this speaks to a weakness of the show already, but I can feel it wanting us to root for the overtly violent police force that circumvents suspects' rights and uses psychological and physical torture to get what they want...just so it can pull the rug out from under us later. Maybe I'm wrong and they really do want us on this side, but I doubt it.

Something extra-textual that crossed my mind in an odd way: Matt Ruff's novel Lovecraft Country is getting adapted into a miniseries at HBO, and it also features the Tulsa Riots on Black Wall Street as an important plot point. That series doesn't have a premiere date yet, but there's a good chance it'll be depicted twice within 18 months on 2 different series on the same network.

PostPosted: Wed October 23, 2019 3:49 am 
Production Police

Simple Torture wrote:

Something extra-textual that crossed my mind in an odd way: Matt Ruff's novel Lovecraft Country is getting adapted into a miniseries at HBO, and it also features the Tulsa Riots on Black Wall Street as an important plot point. That series doesn't have a premiere date yet, but there's a good chance it'll be depicted twice within 18 months on 2 different series on the same network.

I think Simon’s Plot Against America will have a similar feel too

PostPosted: Wed October 23, 2019 2:22 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

tragabigzanda wrote:
Ehhhh....I don’t know about this pilot. Feels extremely toothless and formulaic; lots of “wouldn’t it look cool if...” without it making any sense or looking particularly cool.

My biggest issue is that it looks like a network show: no vibe or ambience, despite the obviously large budget. And this is so far some of the most boring soundtrack work Reznor and Ross have done. There’s a lifelessness to everything that I can’t get past.

The best thing that could happen is Lindelof gets bored and they let someone with a sense of cinematic style take over.

And while I don’t totally agree with Bi_3’s criticisms, I get where he’s coming from. The idea of an “oppressed liberal revenge fantasy” is pretty boring to me as it is, and this didn’t do much to sell me.

I’ll try another 1-2 eps because HBO has a terrific batting average, but I’ll gladly drop it if it doesn’t find some real edge, rather than its current MO of “an ABC show but we can say ‘fuck’!”

"oppressed liberal revenge fantasy" :?

There isn't a single word of this that makes sense. I know our tastes vary and we often disagree (respectfully and thoughtfully most of the time; which I value), but this is easily the furthest away I've been from you that I can remember. So much so that I have to wonder if one of us was literally watching something else. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed October 23, 2019 2:55 pm 
Production Police

durdencommatyler wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

There isn't a single word of this that makes sense. I know our tastes vary and we often disagree (respectfully and thoughtfully most of the time; which I value), but this is easily the furthest away I've been from you that I can remember. So much so that I have to wonder if one of us was literally watching something else. :lol:

I'd love to be able to say "Well then, they've made a divisive show that's maybe perfect for our times..." But as I said, my biggest problem by far is just how toothless the whole thing felt; I'm way more bored by it all than feeling put off by any perceived political fantasy messaging.

I appreciate that pilot episodes tend to be their own animals, and I have no idea what the director lineup is for the first season. Maybe they'll turn it around. But for something that's ostensibly supposed to be edgy, dark, and thrilling, I found it to be none of those things.

PostPosted: Wed October 23, 2019 3:52 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

tragabigzanda wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

I'd love to be able to say "Well then, they've made a divisive show that's maybe perfect for our times..." But as I said, my biggest problem by far is just how toothless the whole thing felt; I'm way more bored by it all than feeling put off by any perceived political fantasy messaging.

I appreciate that pilot episodes tend to be their own animals, and I have no idea what the director lineup is for the first season. Maybe they'll turn it around. But for something that's ostensibly supposed to be edgy, dark, and thrilling, I found it to be none of those things.

Yeah, I just completely disagree. I was tense and riveted the entire time. It vastly exceeded all my expectations on every level. The imagery, the direction, the art direction, the tone, the acting, the pacing,.. everything you dislike or think is lacking, is stuff that totally hooked me and wowed me. We just see it completely differently.

It's probably the strongest pilot I've seen in a long, long time. I'm 100% in.

PostPosted: Wed October 23, 2019 4:10 pm 
Major Dude

Castle Rock starts back tonight.

PostPosted: Wed October 23, 2019 4:11 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

wease wrote:

WRONG THREAD

PostPosted: Wed October 23, 2019 4:15 pm 
Major Dude

durdencommatyler wrote:
wease wrote:

WRONG THREAD

Got your attention tho, didn't it?

PostPosted: Wed October 23, 2019 4:21 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

wease wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
wease wrote:

WRONG THREAD

THIS THREAD ALREADY HAD MY ATTENTION

PostPosted: Wed October 23, 2019 4:44 pm 
Major Dude

durdencommatyler wrote:
wease wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
wease wrote:

WRONG THREAD

THIS THREAD ALREADY HAD MY ATTENTION

STOP YELLING AT ME!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment