The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Thor: The Dark World
PostPosted: Wed April 24, 2013 8:01 pm 
Technical Overlord

@SkitchP wrote:
Whitey McTeeth wrote:
I hear this is being released on a Thorsday.

lol

Thorry

PostPosted: Wed April 24, 2013 8:07 pm 
A Return To Form

I think this looks cool. Plus, Marvel's got momentum going for them, which helps. I thought all the Phase 1 movies were better-than-decent, with Thor being a highlight.

Captain America was a lot of fun too until its forgettable third act which, despite having seen it a few times, I cannot recall in the slightest.

PostPosted: Wed April 24, 2013 9:46 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

Up till a few years ago I thought Thor was incredibly lame now he's one of my favorites.

PostPosted: Wed April 24, 2013 10:09 pm 
Polluted

intodeep wrote:
My expectations are low, but i'll see this.

theplatypus wrote:
I dunno, dude. I dunno. I'll watch it. But I dunno.

George is the best.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:31 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:40 pm 

B wrote:

That's why only someone who is worthy like Thor can pick it up Neil. Fucking nerd.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 1:07 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

does this mean the Hulk cant pick up 300 billion elephants?

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 2:48 am 

BurtReynolds wrote:
does this mean the Hulk cant pick up 300 billion elephants?

Means he isn't worthy duh.

PostPosted: Sat November 09, 2013 5:14 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

How did the first movie get it so right, and this one go so horribly, horribly wrong?

PostPosted: Sat November 09, 2013 6:11 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

McParadigm wrote:
How did the first movie get it so right, and this one go so horribly, horribly wrong?

Was it bad? We are going to see it today.

PostPosted: Sat November 09, 2013 6:27 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Amazingly so. It was almost like they knew they had to build off of the first one, but had just total disdain for it and for their audience.

From the tired, "we don't really have to explain anything we don't want to so fuck you" attempt at an epic opening sequence, to the weird Xena Warrior Princess fight scene that immediately follows it (actually, any time this movie can shortcut plot or toss in an extra, hurried little fight scene, it grabs it) with all the shitty extras hamming it up in cutaway shots, it just....I don't even know. It's like nobody on set was communicating. Thor's world suddenly looks like Naboo and has laser cannons. The scripted dialog is "we must hide it down deep, where nobody will ever find it," and the shot the CGI guys made to accompany that is a not at all buried, cathedral-like, very large cave with outside light streaming in and a BRIDGE THAT TAKES YOU RIGHT TO THE THING THAT NOBODY MUST EVER FIND. Did they not get the actual script? Did they just get a vague "make a place where a thing is in that place" guiding line?

In conversation shots, they'll have three camera angles to bounce between, and in each one the characters will be facing a slightly (but really, really noticeable) different direction. At one point, they're in a skiff being chased by another skiff. It's right behind them. Christ, it's SHOOTING AT THEM. So one of the heroes grabs a rope and swings.....straight downward....somehow ending up on the skiff that's right behind them. And then, just to drive it home, he disposes of the baddies in .05 seconds and then turns to give the thumbs up...to someone straight in front of him. I don't understand. Just before that, there was this super planning scene where she says "Oh, there's a legion of troops there, and they'll be looking for you," and he's like "That's why YOU'LL sneak in." And then it cuts to just, like, her punching four guys and then they can just walk through anyway...so what was the plan anyway?

It has a lot of that Into Darkness "if we rush as fast as possible and do lots of cool CGI and hurry through any dialog scene so we can get to the next set piece you'll never notice how little sense any of this makes." Only it doesn't even have JJ's sense of action momentum to carry it. The whole story is such a big fat shrug, and the costumes range from "really good" to "supershredder" to "is that a...that's a teletubbie zombie, right?" A weird amount of time is spent on characters that have nothing to do with this story....I assume in an attempt to give it a bit of a Hobbity ensemble epic feel. It just, mostly, sucks.

PostPosted: Sat November 09, 2013 6:43 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Do you ever have any opinions on movies that aren't giant blockbusters, McP? The What Movies Are You Watching thread could do with some of your insights.

PostPosted: Sat November 09, 2013 6:45 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Also, I'm kinda glad to hear this is terrible.

PostPosted: Sat November 09, 2013 6:47 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Sounds like Marvel is 0-2 post Avengers (yes Ironman 3 sucked). i'll probably see it today.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Sat November 09, 2013 6:48 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

No, Iron Man 3 was awesome, you just missed like 90% of the point.

PostPosted: Sat November 09, 2013 6:52 pm 

wait what am I saying? I disagree with McP 90% of the time when it comes to movies (Into Darkness being the exception). I bet this is spectacular.

Yet our mutual loathing of Pearl Jam brought us closer. go figure.

PostPosted: Sat November 09, 2013 7:09 pm 

theplatypus wrote:
No, Iron Man 3 was awesome, you just missed like 90% of the point.

My favorite parts of that movie was when his wacky flying glove was late and that time his face mask tried to kill him.

fucking HIGH-larious.

Will his armor show up in time to save him? will it fall apart at the worst possible time? oh the drama!

PostPosted: Sat November 09, 2013 7:25 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

theplatypus wrote:
Do you ever have any opinions on movies that aren't giant blockbusters, McP? The What Movies Are You Watching thread could do with some of your insights.

When a movie, album, or book is good, I mostly want to talk about it. Like, actually talk. And unless I can't find anybody to talk with about it, I'm probably not going online.

I actually find bad movies/music/books funny in a way that's way more enjoyable than I could ever hope to explain, though. I shouldnt...but i do. and i have a friend whose wife is deaf and who loves blockbuster movies, so I figure we support each other that way.

I really laughed out loud multiple times watching this film...it's probably the same type of laugh other people emit when they see someone get hit in the balls (something I've never found funny). And you can only relive those jokes so many times in real life. People dont want to hear it. So apparently I only come to the Internet for the shittiest reasons, to be the worst version of me...which is why everyone shows up, too, I guess.

PostPosted: Sat November 09, 2013 8:52 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

just saw it and thought it was every bit as good as the first iron man. the only thing id say is they had too many jokes in it. thor isnt really a jokey kind of comic or character.

i figured there was no way malekith would actually transform into Kurse but i thought they handled the transition well. the battle scenes were what they were. he fought korg (though they never named him) so that was a great way to sneak in another alien species. wasnt too happy with the fact that
Spoiler: show
Frida died
but they had to have something to bring loki and thor together.

Hiddelston once again shows there would only be a lesser choice if someone else were cast instead. ever bit as good as heath (though the material isnt the same by any stretch)

the two teases were ok enough. the first one leads up to the GotG and more than likely Avengers 3. the after credits scene just closes off this chapter in the movie.

also Stellan Skarsgård had some stellar comedic moments.

with X2 and Avengers being 10's id rate this a solid 8.5

PostPosted: Sat November 09, 2013 10:48 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

I liked it but agree with jer bear about the humor. There were some serious scenes and then cheesy humor in the middle of them. Loki is by far the best acted character in any of the Marvel movies.

Not as good as the first but still very entertaining.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment