Switch to full style
Books, movies, television...
Post a reply

Hulu: Castle Rock (series)

Thu July 26, 2018 1:52 pm

Watched the first episode last night. Liked it but didn't love it. The story is really complicated right now. I feel like there was a better way to introduce this thing. One GREAT scare. Some creepy stuff. And a couple of unintentionally hilarious moments that kinda took me out of the show.

Hopefully it settles as it goes. I'm still interested in watching, for sure. But the pilot was a C+ at best.

Re: Hulu: Castle Rock (series)

Thu July 26, 2018 6:04 pm

I was thinking of waiting till around Halloween to watch the show.

Thu July 26, 2018 6:49 pm

We pulled it up to watch last night. I figured I would fall asleep, so we’ll start it tonight.

Thu July 26, 2018 7:08 pm

Yeah, I think they dropped 3 or 4 at once. We just watched the first one and then went to bed. I'm excited to see where it goes and how it builds. Hopefully, it's not a total waste. I don't know why it's so difficult to make good Stephen King stuff.

Thu July 26, 2018 8:47 pm

durdencommatyler wrote:I don't know why it's so difficult to make good Stephen King stuff.

Remember that Under the Dome TV show? So dumb

Thu July 26, 2018 9:11 pm

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:I don't know why it's so difficult to make good Stephen King stuff.

Remember that Under the Dome TV show? So dumb

fart noise

Fri July 27, 2018 10:49 am

Watched the first episode last night. Enjoyed it. Lots of stuff going on. I think I spent the whole episode looking/ listening for Easter eggs. And there were plenty. Now I wish I’d kept up with reading King’s books.

Fri July 27, 2018 4:32 pm

wease wrote:Watched the first episode last night. Enjoyed it. Lots of stuff going on. I think I spent the whole episode looking/ listening for Easter eggs. And there were plenty. Now I wish I’d kept up with reading King’s books.

:lol:

I really hope the Easter Egg stuff doesn't keep overwhelming the show. So many of them are so obvious. I didn't even get some of them but I knew they were Easter Eggs because of how long the shot lingered or the way stuff was pointed out.

It also creates a weird schism for me that there are actors in this who have played major King characters before. The casting coupled with the obvious Easter Egg stuff makes me feel like the actors are playing their other, previous characters. It's so weird.

Fri July 27, 2018 5:28 pm

durdencommatyler wrote:
wease wrote:Watched the first episode last night. Enjoyed it. Lots of stuff going on. I think I spent the whole episode looking/ listening for Easter eggs. And there were plenty. Now I wish I’d kept up with reading King’s books.

I really hope the Easter Egg stuff doesn't keep overwhelming the show. So many of them are so obvious. I didn't even get some of them but I knew they were Easter Eggs because of how long the shot lingered or the way stuff was pointed out.

It also creates a weird schism for me that there are actors in this who have played major King characters before. The casting coupled with the obvious Easter Egg stuff makes me feel like the actors are playing their other, previous characters. It's so weird.

Yes! I had no idea about the kid and who he played before until I was looking for something else. And after seeing all those video screens, was wondering the same thing as you.

Really looking forward to the second episode. Do we know how many episodes the season is?

Fri July 27, 2018 6:11 pm

wease wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

Yes! I had no idea about the kid and who he played before until I was looking for something else. And after seeing all those video screens, was wondering the same thing as you.

Really looking forward to the second episode. Do we know how many episodes the season is?

I do not know how many episodes S1 will be.

Fri July 27, 2018 6:13 pm

Seems a quick Google search (where I skimmed because I didn't want anything spoiled) says 10 episodes. I have no idea if that's actually accurate or not, but there you go.

Fri July 27, 2018 9:08 pm

I’d like to get all his books I’ve not read in the last 20 or so years and get caught up on his stuff, but it would cost a fortune.

Fri July 27, 2018 9:52 pm

I started Needful Things for the first time yesterday. Have you read that one? It's scratching the right itch for me right now. It was only $3.99 on Kindle.

Fri July 27, 2018 9:53 pm

AND it's already dropped a name that was in the pilot of Castle Rock.

Fri July 27, 2018 10:01 pm

durdencommatyler wrote:I started Needful Things for the first time yesterday. Have you read that one? It's scratching the right itch for me right now. It was only $3.99 on Kindle.

durdencommatyler wrote:AND it's already dropped a name that was in the pilot of Castle Rock.

I have. A great one. And IIRC, the last one actually set in Castle Rock. And it’s a little more than a name drop.

Fri July 27, 2018 10:14 pm

wease wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:I started Needful Things for the first time yesterday. Have you read that one? It's scratching the right itch for me right now. It was only $3.99 on Kindle.

durdencommatyler wrote:AND it's already dropped a name that was in the pilot of Castle Rock.

I have. A great one. And IIRC, the last one actually set in Castle Rock. And it’s a little more than a name drop.

Yeah, I figured it would end up being bigger than a name drop. But I'm not very far in the book yet.

Sat July 28, 2018 2:47 am

Episode 2 was much better.

Sun July 29, 2018 11:51 pm

Watched the first two episodes of this - loving it so far

Mon July 30, 2018 12:36 am

Rangi Guy wrote:Watched the first two episodes of this - loving it so far

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Mon July 30, 2018 12:52 am

We're caught up. A nice revelation in the third episode. We also see the motivation behind Warden Lacy and the kid. VERY nice shout out to Warden Norton.

Spoiler: show
I'm really wondering what the preacher dad did to make Henry hate him so much.

So far, I've not noticed anything related to anything outside Castle Rock. Except, of course, Shawshank.
Post a reply