The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hulu: Castle Rock (series)
PostPosted: Tue September 11, 2018 12:57 pm 
Major Dude

Spoiler: show
So is Henry The Kid actually evil? He certainly didn’t seem so on his world. My thoughts are that when the Henrys are on the wrong world, it throws off the “balance” between those worlds and bad stuff starts happening.

PostPosted: Tue September 11, 2018 8:36 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

wease wrote:
So is Henry The Kid actually evil? He certainly didn’t seem so on his world. My thoughts are that when the Henrys are on the wrong world, it throws off the “balance” between those worlds and bad stuff starts happening.

That was my thoughts too

Plus - now I know what Bill Skarsgård's character meant when he told Alan that he could fix Ruth

PostPosted: Tue September 11, 2018 9:02 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

wease wrote:

This is correct. It's pretty explicitly stated in the episode.

PostPosted: Tue September 11, 2018 11:24 pm 
Major Dude

durdencommatyler wrote:
wease wrote:

Suck it, smart guy.

PostPosted: Tue September 11, 2018 11:55 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

wease wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
wease wrote:

Suck it, smart guy.

8-)

PostPosted: Thu September 13, 2018 2:14 am 
Major Dude

Three questions:
Who was Deaver boy? Why did Henry the Kid flash as a monster? Why didn’t Henry just let Henry the Kid just go back to his world? Wouldn’t that have been an easier solution?

I have my theory regarding the first and that may supply an answer to the other two.

PostPosted: Thu September 13, 2018 3:11 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

wease wrote:
Three questions:
Who was Deaver boy? Why did Henry the Kid flash as a monster? Why didn’t Henry just let Henry the Kid just go back to his world? Wouldn’t that have been an easier solution?

I have my theory regarding the first and that may supply an answer to the other two.

What's your theory?

PostPosted: Thu September 13, 2018 11:40 am 
Major Dude

durdencommatyler wrote:
wease wrote:
Three questions:

What's your theory?

Deaver Boy was Henry the Kid on Henry’s Earth and died as a baby so they adopted Henry.

That does not supply an answer to the other two. As far as him being a monster, maybe he actually is and the Kid was just feeding Henry bullshit about being from the other world. I don’t feel this is correct, as Henry is starting to remember stuff from the other world and he hears the thinny strongly. As does his son. But then, why DID he look like some half dead monster?

PostPosted: Thu September 13, 2018 2:20 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

wease wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
wease wrote:
Three questions:

What's your theory?

Deaver Boy was Henry the Kid on Henry’s Earth and died as a baby so they adopted Henry.

That does not supply an answer to the other two. As far as him being a monster, maybe he actually is and the Kid was just feeding Henry bullshit about being from the other world. I don’t feel this is correct, as Henry is starting to remember stuff from the other world and he hears the thinny strongly. As does his son. But then, why DID he look like some half dead monster?

I have a lot of issues with this series. I'm sure there will be benefit to rewatching the whole thing. I'm going to do that soon, I think.

But I think, what I took from this episode, is that Henry The Kid is actually literally The Devil. I think the story he told to Molly in Ep 9, the whole "big twist" (that was actually obvious) of the series, was a lie. He even asks her if she believes him. The first thing we see in the beginning of the finale is Henry talking to a jury about reasonable doubt. I think, ultimately, that's what the whole show is about.

Whether or not you as an audience member wants to believe Henry The Kid or not. If you believe him, then he is a true victim and Henry has in essence become his father. But the only way to explain the carnage and destruction, as well as the demon face, as well as the smile on his face in that last shot, is that he is The Devil.

This interpretation comes with a bucket of other problems, too. It doesn't clear up everything for me but it's the solution that leaves the fewest holes, I think.

The single biggest issue with this theory is what actually happened to Henry as a boy while he was missing for those six days? But there might be an answer to that suggested/buried in an earlier episode. Maybe it's in that weird episode with the dilapidated house with the barber living in it? I don't know. I think there are clues hidden throughout that weren't obvious or easy to spot because we didn't have the whole picture yet.

PostPosted: Thu September 13, 2018 3:02 pm 
Major Dude

durdencommatyler wrote:
wease wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
wease wrote:
Three questions:

What's your theory?

I have a lot of issues with this series. I'm sure there will be benefit to rewatching the whole thing. I'm going to do that soon, I think.

But I think, what I took from this episode, is that Henry The Kid is actually literally The Devil. I think the story he told to Molly in Ep 9, the whole "big twist" (that was actually obvious) of the series, was a lie. He even asks her if she believes him. The first thing we see in the beginning of the finale is Henry talking to a jury about reasonable doubt. I think, ultimately, that's what the whole show is about.

Whether or not you as an audience member wants to believe Henry The Kid or not. If you believe him, then he is a true victim and Henry has in essence become his father. But the only way to explain the carnage and destruction, as well as the demon face, as well as the smile on his face in that last shot, is that he is The Devil.

This interpretation comes with a bucket of other problems, too. It doesn't clear up everything for me but it's the solution that leaves the fewest holes, I think.

The single biggest issue with this theory is what actually happened to Henry as a boy while he was missing for those six days? But there might be an answer to that suggested/buried in an earlier episode. Maybe it's in that weird episode with the dilapidated house with the barber living in it? I don't know. I think there are clues hidden throughout that weren't obvious or easy to spot because we didn't have the whole picture yet.

I’m wondering what, if any, of this will tie into season two.

PostPosted: Thu September 13, 2018 3:57 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

wease wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
wease wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
wease wrote:
Three questions:

What's your theory?

Ditto. That denouement felt SO on the nose. It was probably the single worst part of the whole series for me. I hope that it was just a fun little jab and not a coy intro into the main plot of S2.

PostPosted: Thu September 13, 2018 5:56 pm 
Major Dude

durdencommatyler wrote:
wease wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
wease wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
wease wrote:
Three questions:

What's your theory?

Ditto. That denouement felt SO on the nose. It was probably the single worst part of the whole series for me. I hope that it was just a fun little jab and not a coy intro into the main plot of S2.

I kinda doubt it will. She may show up again, but the series is called “Castle Rock” I presume for a reason.

PostPosted: Thu September 13, 2018 6:22 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

I hope so.

PostPosted: Sat September 29, 2018 1:17 am 
Looks Like a Cat

As far as shows with creepy mytharcs in small towns goes, how does this thing rate on the Twin Peaks scale?

PostPosted: Sat September 29, 2018 1:39 am 
Major Dude

Joey will say 3. I’ll give it a solid 8 just for how fucking Kingian it was.

PostPosted: Sat September 29, 2018 4:41 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

washing machine wrote:
As far as shows with creepy mytharcs in small towns goes, how does this thing rate on the Twin Peaks scale?

This is nothing like Twin Peaks. It's a zero on that scale. But the show is probably a 6 overall on the quality scale, with 2 or 3 episodes pushing a 9. There is one episode that ranks among the best I've seen in the last few years.

PostPosted: Sat September 29, 2018 6:20 pm 
A Return To Form

I'm glad everyone is so into this, but I'm not. Slooooooow. Tiny allusion's to the King universe. Last episode was a disappointment. Pennywise guy didn't deliver. Mr. Mercedes sort of sucks too

PostPosted: Sat September 29, 2018 9:40 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

I watched two and a half episodes last night and just...stopped. I was really into it, then wasn't. Perhaps because I'm not fluent in Stephen King's universe? But I get the sense that with this series you don't really have to be unless you want easter eggs?

Anyway, I'll probably pick this back up soon. I think last night it just reminded me a little bit of Ozark (mostly the pacing) and so I went to pick up where I left off with Ozark instead.

PostPosted: Sat September 29, 2018 11:44 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

[quote="washing machine"]I watched two and a half episodes last night and just...stopped. I was really into it, then wasn't. Perhaps because I'm not fluent in Stephen King's universe? But I get the sense that with this series you don't really have to be unless you want easter eggs?/quote]
Correct.

I felt underwhelmed by the first three episodes, fwiw. It picks up at the end of three. Gets better from there.

PostPosted: Tue October 08, 2019 1:20 pm 
Major Dude

Season two starts Oct 23!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment