The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: TV: Luther
PostPosted: Sun April 21, 2013 3:19 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Why are there so few episodes?

PostPosted: Sun April 21, 2013 3:30 am 
AnalLog

durdencommatyler wrote:

i don't get it.

i just checked out bbcamerica.com to get some info on the show. apparently, season 3 will only be 4 episodes long. damn Brits.

PostPosted: Sun April 21, 2013 3:38 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

red calzolaio wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

i don't get it.

i just checked out bbcamerica.com to get some info on the show. apparently, season 3 will only be 4 episodes long. damn Brits.

We need an explanation.... HARMLESS

PostPosted: Sun April 21, 2013 4:09 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

While I will never understand the intricacies of British TV and what gets "commissioned" and what doesn't, I do understand that it is generally better than ours.

PostPosted: Sun April 21, 2013 4:14 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

turned2black wrote:
While I will never understand the intricacies of British TV and what gets "commissioned" and what doesn't, I do understand that it is generally better than ours.

Is it? I don't watch much of it. But I've never heard any British show mentioned in the same conversation as The Sopranos, The Wire, Deadwood, Breaking Bad or Mad Men.

Maybe comedies?

PostPosted: Sun April 21, 2013 6:35 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Spoiler: show
This is a great show, but I must admit that the best part of the show for me was the tension between Alice and Luther. That kinda subsided in the last couple of episodes. I think that relationship is still really interesting, but I liked it more when they were more enemies than friends.

PostPosted: Sun April 21, 2013 8:35 am 
what on earth am I talking about

This is a great show. But the BBC seem to have a thing about really short seasons. Check out their (fucking excellent) Sherlock Holmes reboot. They were only 4 episodes a season and it left you gasping for more. Cumberbatch plays Holmes brilliantly. He's reenergised that role. And Freeman is the perfect foil to him as Watson. Look it up if you haven't. Great tv.

PostPosted: Sun April 21, 2013 2:05 pm 
AnalLog

turned2black wrote:
This is a great show, but I must admit that the best part of the show for me was the tension between Alice and Luther. That kinda subsided in the last couple of episodes. I think that relationship is still really interesting, but I liked it more when they were more enemies than friends.

i agree with this.

PostPosted: Sun April 21, 2013 3:39 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

durdencommatyler wrote:
turned2black wrote:

Is it? I don't watch much of it. But I've never heard any British show mentioned in the same conversation as The Sopranos, The Wire, Deadwood, Breaking Bad or Mad Men.

Maybe comedies?

I'd put Downton Abbey, Luther and Little Britain in my top 10 all-time, with LB in my top 5. I think the highs are probably higher on American TV, but the lows are WAY lower. I expect a certain amount of quality from British shows that I don't expect from American TV, although I think cable and pay networks are changing that expectation. The acting is the thing I notice the most, even the worst British shows have great acting. In America, we have the likes of David Caruso.

PostPosted: Mon April 22, 2013 3:04 am 
Rank This Poster

Don't forget SHERLOCK.

That show is gold.

PostPosted: Mon April 22, 2013 7:05 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Finished Episode 2 of Season 2 last night.

Still love it. I liked the transition they made to the new season, they explained what went down, but didn't get to too bogged down in details. Love Luther's morning Russian roulette ritual and that he and Mark are friends now. My one negative comment is an obvious one: NOT ENOUGH ALICE! Although the sexual tension between them is pretty top-notch.

PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2013 1:42 am 
AnalLog

turned2black wrote:
Finished Episode 2 of Season 2 last night.

Still love it. I liked the transition they made to the new season, they explained what went down, but didn't get to too bogged down in details. Love Luther's morning Russian roulette ritual and that he and Mark are friends now. My one negative comment is an obvious one: NOT ENOUGH ALICE! Although the sexual tension between them is pretty top-notch.

the tension you speak of has given me a chubby at times.

PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2013 5:42 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Just finished this. Great fucking show. Even though I could have used more Alice in the second season, it was still fantastic. I will watch anything Idris or Ruth Wilson are in at this point, including that new crappy looking Guillermo del Toro sci-fi movie. Can't wait for Season 3. Thanks to red calzolaio for the reminder.

PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2013 2:16 pm 
AnalLog

i didn't pay much attention to Alice the first couple episodes so i missed that whole dynamic a bit. but by the end of episode 3 and then episode 4, it was clear to me she brought so much to Luther.

i like her. i like her a lot. she's freakin nuts and that's awesome. i also like her mouth from the side...weird/sexy.

i'm hoping that for season 3 they make the episodes just a bit longer to make up for the lack of episodes.

PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2013 2:43 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

red calzolaio wrote:
i didn't pay much attention to Alice the first couple episodes so i missed that whole dynamic a bit. but by the end of episode 3 and then episode 4, it was clear to me she brought so much to Luther.

i like her. i like her a lot. she's freakin nuts and that's awesome. i also like her mouth from the side...weird/sexy.

i'm hoping that for season 3 they make the episodes just a bit longer to make up for the lack of episodes.

Both Idris and Ruth Wilson seem to be making huge gains in their careers. Ruth is in a ton of new projects including that Lone Ranger movie and Idris has a bunch of stuff too including a very promising Nelson Mandela movie. I would guess their busy schedules are to blame for the lack of episodes. I'll be pretty happy with what I get, but I would like too see more interplay between Luther and Alice, although I don't think I want them to "hook up." I'll also be interested to see if he continues to be a father figure to Jenny.

I noticed that IMDB has a tentative date of "Sept. 2013." Can't wait.

PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2013 2:53 pm 
AnalLog

turned2black wrote:
red calzolaio wrote:

Both Idris and Ruth Wilson seem to be making huge gains in their careers. Ruth is in a ton of new projects including that Lone Ranger movie and Idris has a bunch of stuff too including a very promising Nelson Mandela movie. I would guess their busy schedules are to blame for the lack of episodes. I'll be pretty happy with what I get, but I would like too see more interplay between Luther and Alice, although I don't think I want them to "hook up." I'll also be interested to see if he continues to be a father figure to Jenny.

I noticed that IMDB has a tentative date of "Sept. 2013." Can't wait.

gotcha. for them to "hook up" would just ruin things imo. although,
right before she took off for Mexico or wherever, the sexual tension between her and Luther was intense. i wanted them to bang right then and there

anyway, i missed something about Jenny and her mom. i don't know the backstory...must have been when my wife was asking me all kinds of questions and i didn't hear exactly what was going on. i need to rewatch some episodes i guess.

PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2013 2:55 pm 
AnalLog

psychobain wrote:
Don't forget SHERLOCK.

That show is gold.

i do need to check this show out. i have yet to see one episode.

PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2013 3:29 pm 
Rank This Poster

do it

epic

PostPosted: Tue July 09, 2013 10:15 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

Holy shit, Series 3 started last week? WHERE WERE YOU ON THAT ONE, RM???

PostPosted: Wed July 10, 2013 12:47 am 
Rank This Poster

just watched

fabulous

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment