The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 442 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: Live Long and Prosper; the Trek Thread
PostPosted: Sun February 10, 2019 5:09 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

I guess if they are careful the 25% different Picard can be explained by it being decades later. What a mess. All self inflicted.

PostPosted: Sun February 10, 2019 5:17 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

I grew up on TNG, but do not hold it to be far above other Trek prime series, like some appear to here. However, all the prime series are far above Discovery in quality. It’s really disappointing, and I’m uncertain if they are capable of making good series in the future.

The worst part of the prime series, was when they leaned too heavily on time travel and separate universes/dimensions. And that is what Discovery has solely been based on so far.

PostPosted: Sun February 10, 2019 5:18 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

Don’t know what this series is about but I can’t over the moon Stewart is back.

Hoping they find a way for them to write McKellan into it in some capacity.

Maybe as a friend or a his opposite number bad guy.

PostPosted: Sun February 10, 2019 5:20 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

Anders wrote:
I grew up on TNG, but do not hold it to be far above other Trek prime series, like some appear to here. However, all the prime series are far above Discovery in quality. It’s really disappointing, and I’m uncertain if they are capable of making good series in the future.

The worst part of the prime series, was when they leaned too heavily on time travel and separate universes/dimensions. And that is what Discovery has solely been based on so far.

I’m with you but I’d rate TNG far higher than you maybe.

Discovery would have brilliant episodes ruined by horrible stupid elements. Every episode.

I didn’t even make it to second half of the first season.
Should I bother? I don’t feel like it

PostPosted: Sun February 10, 2019 5:47 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

dimejinky99 wrote:
Anders wrote:

I’m with you but I’d rate TNG far higher than you maybe.

Discovery would have brilliant episodes ruined by horrible stupid elements. Every episode.

I didn’t even make it to second half of the first season.
Should I bother? I don’t feel like it

I have seen all of TNG at least three times, and many episodes even more than that.

PostPosted: Sun February 10, 2019 6:21 pm 

I wonder how many times I've watched TNG all the way through. It was on every day twice a day for years and I pretty much watched it every day twice a day for years. It seems likely I've seen every episode in the double digits. TOS was on for even longer so I can't imagine how many times I've watched those. DS9 was my favorite though I probably only watched that all the way through a few times. That didn't re-run for as long.

PostPosted: Sun February 10, 2019 6:22 pm 

Voyager and Enterprise I've missed plenty of those episodes.

PostPosted: Sun February 10, 2019 7:31 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Local Fox used to run TOS nightly, followed by Rush Limbaugh’s short lived talk show. I’d get home from work, get my brothers ready for bed, make a sandwich, and watch both while I got ready for bed myself and waited to call my girlfriend.

TNG *reruns* were harder for me to access, and the only cassettes of it in town were season one. Yuck.

PostPosted: Sun February 10, 2019 8:54 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

At one point our local FOX station would play one hour of DS9 and two hours of TNG every night. It didn't get old until Voyager started. I still can't get through an episode of that one.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

Last edited by BurtReynolds on Sun February 10, 2019 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun February 10, 2019 9:12 pm 

Same schedule and channel in my area. I really tried with Voyager but the crew was so bland and they didn't have the balls to stick with any concept. They had a real chance to be different if they made the Brad Dourif character permanent but no. Then they had that Year Of Hell arc or it was called something like that where the ship got all messed up and people died but they undid all of that. I jumped ship for a few seasons but jumped back on with Seven Of Nine cause they advertised the hell out of it. I pretty much stayed till the end mostly just out of desperation. DS9 must have ended or something. I can't remember why I stayed. Seven Of Nines boobs probably.

PostPosted: Sun February 10, 2019 9:16 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Yeah the premise of that one was so good and the pilot set up some good stuff but they completely ignored it after that.

The maquis and federation guys should have been at each other's throats.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Sun February 10, 2019 9:33 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Wasn’t the whole thing with Voyager that Moore wanted to do it the way he ended up doing Galactica? With them pursued, desperate, and faced with the internal struggles of splintered allegiances and a decaying ship? But he got shot down?

PostPosted: Sun February 10, 2019 11:11 pm 

Yep I believe so. Moore wanted to push things and Berman is the "what would Gene want" guy and he won.

PostPosted: Mon February 11, 2019 11:58 pm 
Champion of RM

I never knew that Voyager / Galactica tidbit. Interesting stuff.

PostPosted: Sat February 23, 2019 9:06 pm 

How do replicators work exactly? Are they just magic and can create stuff out of nothing? Or do they need the necessary building blocks to make stuff, and if so, is the supply stored somewhere on the ship?

PostPosted: Sat February 23, 2019 9:09 pm 

Also, there is the disturbing idea that the replicators recycle human waste.

PostPosted: Sat March 02, 2019 4:08 pm 

Quote:
REPORT: Star Trek Picard Spinoff Gets First Character Breakdowns

Very little has been revealed about the upcoming CBS All-Access Star Trek spinoff series focused on Captain Jean-Luc Picard. However, new casting breakdowns reportedly reveal the show's characters and hint at what the series will bring in its 10-episode first season.

The report, which comes from That Hashtag Show, reveals that the destruction of the Romulan Empire in the Prime Timeline -- in which the series is set -- will weigh heavily on Patrick Stewart's Picard. Additionally, the story will picks up 20 years after the end of Star Trek: The Next Generation, which has also been indicated by previous reports.

In addition to Picard, the series will feature seven characters: Connie, Lawrence, Starton, Dr. Smith, K'Bar, Indira and Alana. Connie is described as an African-American woman in her early 30s. She lost her husband and has a death warrant on her head from her home planet. She is also a mercenary pilot. Lawrence is also in his 30s and is described as someone with a "dodgy moral compass." The character, who is a thief, will pilot the ship Picard takes on his mission. The breakdown hints that he might not be trustworthy. Starton is "terrified of space" and specializes in "positronic brains." He is interested in the research part of Picard's mission. He is, like his three compatriots, in his early 30s. Lawrence and Starton are said to be of "any ethnicity."

The other four characters are described as follows. Dr. Smith is a hologram who helps the crew and is programmed to constantly learn but never to become "too self-aware." He may be an upgrade to the series' Emergency Medical Holograms. Another character is K'Bar, a 17-year-old Romulan martial artist who is extremely devoted to Picard. The final two characters are Indira, a smart but socially inept woman in her early 20s, and Alana, a former intelligence officer with an abusive personality in her mid-40s to 5os. Alana, Indira and Dr. Smith are described as being of "any ethnicity," while that isn't specified for K'Bar.

As the series progresses, there may be more characters and more casting breakdowns may surface, giving more of an indication of what to expect from the series. Still, these breakdowns seem to confirm Picard will no longer be a part of Starfleet when the show starts.

PostPosted: Sat March 02, 2019 4:23 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Data should be poppin in. With the emotion chip!

PostPosted: Sat March 02, 2019 4:38 pm 

Problem with Data is the actor is old now. Same with Q. How do they explain that? I guess Q can appear anyway he wants...Data's skin is organic and can age?

PostPosted: Sat March 02, 2019 4:43 pm 
The Master

Uhh...also Data is dead?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 442 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment