The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 442 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: Live Long and Prosper; the Trek Thread
PostPosted: Mon June 01, 2020 2:51 am 
Major Dude

bada wrote:
wease wrote:
bada wrote:
wease wrote:
Anders wrote:
1 and 2 are the worst. 3 and 4 are probably the best. 5 and 6 are close behind, and even in the discussion for a «seasons 3-6 are the best». 7 is very uneven, but has some gems.

This is the correct answer

5 has Darmok and Inner Light though.

Five is included in 3-6.

I thought you were agreeing with the 3 and 4 were best part!!!! Very brave of you and Anders to agree that 57% of all the seasons were the best!

3-6 are the main stride. All of them are good. 3 and 4 are the best. 7 is good, but spotty with the finale being quite exceptional. 1-2 are by far the worst of the lot.

PostPosted: Mon June 01, 2020 2:56 am 
Rank This Poster

swan wrote:
digster wrote:
Is there a consensus generally on the best Next Gen. seasons? I'm watching straight through (or trying to), but a friend who's all in told me to just hit a few greatest hits episodes in the first two seasons and dive in on the third. That's what I've done, and it's great so far, but I was curious if there was a general golden age for the show.

5 is my favorite, but it still has a handful of absolute dogshit episodes. It was a different time.

Yeah, while I prefer being a completist with shows I really like, maybe I've just gotten too used to the shortened seasons for the shows I tend to watch now. I wasn't sure I wanted to watch 50 hours of TV for the ten really good ones. That being said, there's advantages to having this many episodes that serialized television doesn't really offer, mainly with the variety of stories the show's able to tell.

PostPosted: Fri June 11, 2021 11:34 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Finally gotten back to watching Discovery. I’m on the second season. Still think it’s the worst Star Trek series along with Picard.

PostPosted: Sat June 12, 2021 12:35 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Anders wrote:
Finally gotten back to watching Discovery. I’m on the second season. Still think it’s the worst Star Trek series along with Picard.

For sure

PostPosted: Sun April 03, 2022 6:24 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

Holy shit this guy gets it. Next step stop hiring people to run Star Trek that don't like Star Trek.
Quote:
Chris Pine Says Star Trek Shouldn't Compete With Marvel's 'Billion-Dollar' Movies

Actor Chris Pine, who played Captain James T. Kirk in Star Trek Beyond and Star Trek Into Darkness, recently discussed the popular franchise and said they should not compete with the billion-dollar Marvel film franchise. He suggested that Star Trek should place focus on something different.

"We always tried to get the huge international market," Pine told Deadline. "It was always about making the billion dollars. It was always this billion-dollar mark because Marvel was making a billion. Billion, billion, billion. We struggled with it because Star Trek, for whatever reason, its core audience is rabid. Like rabid, as you know. To get these people that are interested that maybe are Star Wars fans or think Star Trek is not cool or whatever, proven to be … we’ve definitely done a good job of it but not the billion-dollar kind of job that they want."

Pine's next thoughts were on how the franchise would do well to put their effort into creating content for those viewers who already love Star Trek. He specifies that making less in this case is a good thing. "I've always thought that Star Trek should operate in the zone that is smaller," he stated. "You know, it's not a Marvel appeal. It's like, let's make the movie for the people that love this group of people, that love this story, that love Star Trek. Let's make it for them and then, if people want to come to the party, great. But make it for a price and make it, so that if it makes a half-billion dollars, that's really good."

Pine went on to express his enthusiasm for Star Trek, saying that he loves the message of it and the character. He shared that he loves the gig and is honored to be a part of the franchise, saying that he thinks there are plenty of stories to tell in it.

The actor recently settled speculation regarding the next instalment in the franchise, which many assumed essentially borrowed elements from director Quentin Tarantino's script for the unrealized Star Trek project he was reportedly developing, though he admitted that he had not yet read a script for the upcoming project. In February, Paramount announced Star Trek 4 would start production later this year, with Chris Pine and co-stars Zachary Quinto, Zoe Saldana, Karl Urban, John Cho and Simon Pegg in talks to reprise their roles.

PostPosted: Sun April 03, 2022 11:02 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

You should bold a different part of that quote if you're trying to support your point of view.

PostPosted: Sun April 03, 2022 11:59 pm 

I said this guy (Pine) gets it by realizing that making $250-$300 million dollar Star Trek movies is insane because the franchise will never return that investment and bolded the part I thought tied into that. Then I said next (or in addition to Pine's point) stop hiring people who don't like Star Trek or think it's not cool in an effort to try and broaden the audience and reach Star Wars or Marvel sized numbers. JJ Abrams told anyone that would listen that he didn't like Star Trek when he did Star Trek 2009. Alex Kurzman said he found Star Trek embarrassing and wants to turn it into something else. Spending big and hiring people who don't like the product in a effort to appeal to a larger demo isn't gonna work. At least it hasn't yet. That's what I was going for if it wasn't clear maybe I can stay after and do some extra credit to get my grade up.

PostPosted: Mon April 04, 2022 12:23 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Wow. Clearly hit a nerve. Apologies.

I'll start out of it.

PostPosted: Mon April 04, 2022 12:33 am 

Oh no sorry if I put a smiley face at the extra credit bit maybe it would have read different was going for goofiness. I don’t seem to be very good at making my points clear today or ever lol.

PostPosted: Mon April 04, 2022 1:09 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

bada wrote:
Oh no sorry if I put a smiley face at the extra credit bit maybe it would have read different was going for goofiness. I don’t seem to be very good at making my points clear today or ever lol.

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon April 04, 2022 4:18 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Fantastic quotes there.

PostPosted: Mon April 04, 2022 4:22 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

He makes a good point. I think the movies have been pretty good overall, much better than the two new series.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 1:55 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 3:44 pm 
Major Dude

Ha!

PostPosted: Sun July 17, 2022 12:39 am 
Major Dude

Two episodes into Strange New Worlds. It’s fucking great. The best Trek in YEARS.

PostPosted: Wed September 28, 2022 2:28 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

TNG turns 35 today. :shake:

PostPosted: Wed September 28, 2022 3:52 pm 

McParadigm wrote:
TNG turns 35 today. :shake:

PostPosted: Wed September 28, 2022 3:57 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

I don't want to think about it.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Wed September 28, 2022 11:36 pm 
Future Drummer

TNG for President

PostPosted: Fri September 30, 2022 12:34 am 
AnalLog

TNG is still the best, and it's not even close. Hell I've been watching them in the evenings lately before I even noticed this thread. Some of the episodes never get old; truly a show ahead of it's time.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 442 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment