The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2584 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110 ... 130  Next
 Post subject: Re: A Song Of Ice and Fire (Spoilers for all Published Books
PostPosted: Sun August 06, 2017 4:08 pm 
slower than 82% of US

cutuphalfdead wrote:
I guess the strongest suggestive evidence of a marriage would be Rhagaer's obsession with the Prince that was Promised prophecy. If he though they were fathering the fulfillment of a prophecy he would want that fulfillment to be legitimate and be heir to the throne.

But is Jon older than Aegon and his sister? It might seem pointless to make him legitimate if he was a second son and not in line for the throne.

Rhaegar: He has a song. He is the prince that was promised, and his is the song of ice and fire. There must be one more. The dragon has three heads.

PostPosted: Sun August 06, 2017 4:09 pm 
Poster of the Year

Mecca wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
I guess the strongest suggestive evidence of a marriage would be Rhagaer's obsession with the Prince that was Promised prophecy. If he though they were fathering the fulfillment of a prophecy he would want that fulfillment to be legitimate and be heir to the throne.

But is Jon older than Aegon and his sister? It might seem pointless to make him legitimate if he was a second son and not in line for the throne.

Rhaegar: He has a song. He is the prince that was promised, and his is the song of ice and fire. There must be one more. The dragon has three heads.

I'm terrible at spelling Targ names.

Yeah I guess that leads me to think Jon being legitimate doesn't matter. Because he'd be one of three heads. If Aegon was one and the king, and Jon his bastard brother and fellow dragon rider, that's fine.

PostPosted: Sun August 06, 2017 4:10 pm 
slower than 82% of US

cutuphalfdead wrote:
Mecca wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

Yeah I guess that leads me to think Jon being legitimate doesn't matter. Because he'd be one of three heads. If Aegon was one and the king, and Jon his bastard brother and fellow dragon rider, that's fine.

the bold was to denote it was his quote; i didnt even notice your spelling

PostPosted: Sun August 06, 2017 4:11 pm 
Poster of the Year

Mecca wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
Mecca wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

Yeah I know. But my statement remains. I constantly misspell all of them except Aegon.

PostPosted: Sun August 06, 2017 4:14 pm 
slower than 82% of US

cutuphalfdead wrote:
Mecca wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
Mecca wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

Yeah I know. But my statement remains. I constantly misspell all of them except Aegon.

I always opt to call her Dany than Daenerys

PostPosted: Sun August 06, 2017 4:15 pm 
Poster of the Year

Mecca wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
Mecca wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
Mecca wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

I always opt to call her Dany than Daenerys

me too mostly

PostPosted: Mon August 07, 2017 1:10 am 
slower than 82% of US

Golden Company reference!

PostPosted: Mon August 07, 2017 1:40 am 
Broken Tamborine

Mecca wrote:
Golden Company reference!

That piqued my interest too. Though I'm not sure how in depth they'll get at this late hour.

PostPosted: Mon August 07, 2017 2:05 am 
Poster of the Year

It would be annoying seeing the Golden Company contract themselves to a faction in a Westerosi civil war. If they're coming back to Westeros, it's to put one of their own on the throne.

PostPosted: Mon August 07, 2017 2:19 am 
slower than 82% of US

cutuphalfdead wrote:
It would be annoying seeing the Golden Company contract themselves to a faction in a Westerosi civil war. If they're coming back to Westeros, it's to put one of their own on the throne.

with a golden skull at the head of the fleet

PostPosted: Mon August 07, 2017 2:21 am 
Poster of the Year

Mecca wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

with a golden skull at the head of the fleet

Beneath the gold, the bitter steel.

PostPosted: Mon August 07, 2017 2:46 am 
Broken Tamborine

cutuphalfdead wrote:

I agree. But with only nine episodes remaining I'm not sure that they can introduce a new major plot line. So I assume the golden company just acts as a means to an end. They (or Illyrio) should still have Blackfyre, right? The ancestral Valyrian steel sword of the Targaryens seems like it would be both an important weapon and symbol in the war ahead. Maybe it comes back with the golden company somehow. Though I think it's just as likely that the reference was just a slight shout out to book readers, and they never mention them again.

PostPosted: Mon August 07, 2017 2:51 am 
The Master

The Golden Company line seemed to just be an Easter egg to me. One I enjoyed may I add.

PostPosted: Mon August 07, 2017 3:05 am 
Poster of the Year

I believe that Children/First Men pact was forged on the Isle of Faces, not Dragonstone.

PostPosted: Mon August 07, 2017 3:07 am 
The Master

cutuphalfdead wrote:
I believe that Children/First Men pact was forged on the Isle of Faces, not Dragonstone.

Doesn't mean they weren't mining shit on Dragonstone.

PostPosted: Mon August 07, 2017 3:09 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

cutuphalfdead wrote:

I'm a big there-are-still-Children-on-The-God's-Eye truther.

PostPosted: Mon August 07, 2017 3:10 am 
Poster of the Year

Simple Torture wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

The Gods Eye is the lake. The Isle of Faces is the island.

PostPosted: Mon August 07, 2017 3:12 am 
slower than 82% of US

cutuphalfdead wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

game of pedantics

PostPosted: Mon August 07, 2017 3:20 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

cutuphalfdead wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

Yeah yeah you know what I mean.

PostPosted: Thu August 17, 2017 12:22 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

I'm always a little surprised by friends of mine that primarily root for Daenarys, and see her as a kind and loving ruler, that they hope wins the whole Game of Thrones. As I was taking a short break at work today, I came across this on Quora, which I thought was interesting:

"Answer · Do you dislike Daenerys Targaryen or not? Ricky Hunt, Loyal Bannerman to Ser Pounce of House Whiskers. Answered 5d ago

I hate her for a number of reasons.

Entitlement —She believes everything in Westeros is hers by right because of who her dad was. She is the ultimate example of a trust fund kid.

Hypocrisy —She lets the Iron Islands go free and become independent but not the North.

She makes the Ironborn give up reaving but then doesn't make any such demands of the Dothraki.

She claims to be the “Breaker of Chains” yet she allows slavery to return to Yunkai and Astapor. She also grabbed a merchant from Qarth and forced him into slavery herself so she became a slaver.

She drones on and on about Usurpers and how Robert is one and all his friends must be punished etc. Yet she took power in Meereen an ancient city she had no claim to at all. She is a Usurper herself.

Burns people — Burning someone alive she never be done in any circumstance. Fire is extremely brutal and painful and yet she sees no problem inflicting unimaginable pain and terror on various people

Lucked into everything — The fact is everything Dany has she had lucked into. Everything she has accomplished comes from the simple fact she was born a Targaryen. If she was not a Targaryen she would have died years ago. She would never have married Drogo, hatched dragons, gained a khalasar, etc. She just happened to be born a Targaryen.

Terrible Ruler- Dany is probally the worst ruler in the story besides Joffrey. She completely fails at ruling Meereen her inly successes there are achieved by her compromising and marrying Hizdahr. All of this is really the Green Grace's doings though. The Green Grace manipulated Dany into everything and is probally the real leader of the Harpies.

Rash — Dany acts first and thinks later. She nailed the masters to the posts without bothering to get proof of their guilt or involvement in the slave trade. We later find out that Hizdahrs father and possibly others were not involved with Slavery and spoke out against the atrocities of the Masters.

She burns Astapor and then leaves setting in motion a series of events which ultimately leads to Astapor becoming hell. The city is completely wrecked, refugees roam the countryside and are hunted down by people working for Yunkai, some come to Dany in meereen for help but she has to turn them away leaving them all to starve to death. Astapor will now be rebuilt as a slave city and will go back to where it was before Dany arrived.

Dany came to Yunkai and freed the slaves and then left all the slaves were reenslaved by the Masters who took power back when she left. This is the city where the slaves lifted Dany up above their heads when she arrived. Now every slave that did that is a slave again.

Vengeful — Dany is very vengeful and cruel she howls for vengeance anytime something happens she does not agree with. She talks about how the enemies of her khalsar will die screaming, how Mago will beg for death by the time she is through with him, how she will burn down cities with her dragons, how all the usurpers dogs will be punished etc. She does not have it in her to forgive or to see the other side of the argument.

Annoying — Ok so this one is just how I find her annoying. I can't stand her povs I hate it when she goes on her “I'm just a little girl and know little of”, I hate her fascination with Daario in Dance, Her dismissive attitude towards Quentyn Martell, Her naiveity etc. I hate every chapter she is in because I find her annoying. Then we have the show and Emilia Clarkes Questionable acting and deadpan delivery. Ridiculous statements about how All men must die but we are not men and I'm going to break the wheel by taking the Iron Throne, no all she wants to do is set the wheel back to how it was before the Rebellion.

Cruelty- No one generally talks about this one but Dany is far too cruel. She is at least half as cruel as the Mad King. Probally on par with Joffrey when you look at her heinous acts.

She has a random guy burned to death on the shoe after the death of Barristan. She says she has no proof of his guilt but has her dragons burn and then eat him.

She has a man tortured and then has his daughter tortured even making him watch as his daughter is being tortured. Thats completely reprehensible and disgusting something Joffrey never even did.

She nails people to crosses and lets them die a slow and painful death.

She burns 2 guys to death just because they refused to bend the knee to her.

She burns a woman alive who just wanted to protect her people.

She leaves a man and woman in a vault on the show doomed to die a slow death from dehydration and starvation.

Then of course there is all the burning of cities and soldiers which I touched on earlier.

Dany is extremely cruel and maybe even can be qualified as a Sadist. I remember her saying she felt like An Avenging dragon when she kills people who she thinks deserve it. I have always found it sickening that she would make a smirk before burning people alive on the show.

Those are some of my reasons for not liking Dany."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2584 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110 ... 130  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment