The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 385 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: TV: HBO: Barry
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 3:49 pm 
Future Drummer

tragabigzanda wrote:
Spoiler: show
They should’ve just ended with John sitting down to watch the movie, the title card comes up, maybe “starring Daniel Day Lewis,” and fade to black.

the movie that could be made about gene and barry and the rest of it, in the universe of the show, after everything that's happened, is the negation of what the show Barry is. not only that, (and this isn't my thought, but i find it totally compelling) but Mask Collector's cast is filled by the exact kinds of actors who were in gene's class. hacks.

how could daniel day-lewis play gene, given the public account of what's happened? why would he take that role? what major studio would touch this story? it is the stuff of tabloids and is ripe for the b- or z-grade direct-to-streaming treatment it receives in Barry.

the irony of the redemption on offer in Mask Collector is it is a redemption only persuasive to children and psychopaths -- it's a redemption that barry himself imagined, in the moments while he prayed, before he was reunited with john. it's a redemption he abandoned before he was murdered. it's a redemption that may not even be palatable to john, given what sally told him about barry and herself -- that they are murders. this irony is only available to john, to sally, and to us.

but then again, the stunted myths peddled in Mask Collector would hold obvious appeal for john. the series ends by restaging for john in cinematic terms the choice barry couldn't make. to the extent john accepts this movie is the extent to which he remains a child or, worse, becomes undone by his own pathologies.

as ever, things are fucked in Barry.

(brilliant casting of jim cummings as barry in MC)

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 4:29 pm 
Future Drummer

i am now convinced this hangs w sopranos, mad men, deadwood and the wire.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 5:28 pm 
slower than 82% of US

Malloy wrote:

I fell asleep sometime after Sally leaves the musical and need to go back and watch again, but I would hesitate to give it that much praise. That being said, I think this show had some of the best shots and set pieces in any comedy I’ve seen. They paused the recap podcast because Hader is standing in solidarity with the WGA, but I also loved hearing about the thought process behind some decisions or what old movies some of the shots or feelings were an homage to

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 5:39 pm 
Production Police

Yeah that podcast has been enjoyable, hoping they release the remainder of his episodes

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 7:30 pm 
Future Drummer

Mecca wrote:
Malloy wrote:

I fell asleep sometime after Sally leaves the musical and need to go back and watch again, but I would hesitate to give it that much praise. That being said, I think this show had some of the best shots and set pieces in any comedy I’ve seen. They paused the recap podcast because Hader is standing in solidarity with the WGA, but I also loved hearing about the thought process behind some decisions or what old movies some of the shots or feelings were an homage to

part of my thinking is that never have i grasped the force of a television series' totality -- that its parts form a whole that exceeds them. Barry contains one of the best single episodes of television ("ronny/lily") ever, but on a individual level the episodes too often seemed like a mixed bag. the clarity that those mixed episodes obtain when viewed as part of a larger whole isn't something ive seen much in television.

everything about the show is so ambitious. the visual language. the beats, comic and surreal. its ideas about performance and the culture industry weren't necessarily novel, but they were trenchant.

anyway, he pulled it off. fuck. i didn't think he could.

Last edited by Malloy on Mon May 29, 2023 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 7:46 pm 
Production Police

It’s also tight as hell. Tough to find a wasted moment of screen time anywhere.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 7:59 pm 
Future Drummer

one of my favorite things about Barry is its form. 30 minutes to put the pearls in the fire and get them out? the fuck out of here!

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 8:05 pm 
Future Drummer

finally read the nyer interview with hader. is everyone in hollywood a friend of george saunders? feel like his name keeps coming up in interviews with movie people

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 8:12 pm 
AnalLog

Malloy wrote:
Mecca wrote:
Malloy wrote:
Barry contains one of the best single episodes of television ("ronny/lily") ever,.

100%, I can watch that episode over and over again. Possibly one of the top 5 funniest pieces of TV I've seen

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 8:14 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

Mecca wrote:
Malloy wrote:

Hader gets into some more of his inspirations on the latest Conan O’Brien Needs a Friend, albeit in less serious fashion.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 8:27 pm 
Production Police

Yeah he’s got a few scripts he’s finished. Sounds like he’s eyeballing a horror film with him in the lead as his first feature.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 8:29 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

I could have done without the mask collector viewing, but it's fine. I really like how this ended up. A Fuchs spinoff mini series of him back in Chechnya or Mexico with one of his girlfriends would be funny.

The lobbed grenade that takes out the last 3 of The Raven's crew made me laugh out loud. Classic Barry moment.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 8:29 pm 
slower than 82% of US

Ensign9 wrote:
Mecca wrote:
Malloy wrote:

Hader gets into some more of his inspirations on the latest Conan O’Brien Needs a Friend, albeit in less serious fashion.

His impression of Lorne and Larry David had me going

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 8:30 pm 
slower than 82% of US

elliseamos wrote:
I could have done without the mask collector viewing, but it's fine. I really like how this ended up. A Fuchs spinoff mini series of him back in Chechnya or Mexico with one of his girlfriends would be funny.

The lobbed grenade that takes out the last 3 of The Raven's crew made me laugh out loud. Classic Barry moment.

Yeah that grenade lob was way funnier than it had any business being. Just the camera tracking that scene of Fuches finding Jonathan and walking him out; I was wondering where Sally ended up just as she started calling out and appeared from behind that pillar

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 8:40 pm 
Production Police

That was a one-shot, too. Impressive shot.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 8:44 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Mecca wrote:
Yeah that grenade lob was way funnier than it had any business being. Just the camera tracking that scene

Right? Just perfect.

Random thought:
Sally kept her name (as confirmed by AP US History teacher) but what's John's last name? Burkman?

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 8:47 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

I loved the movie. And how his kid reacts. Grim as fuck.

Loved this series.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 8:58 pm 
slower than 82% of US

tragabigzanda wrote:

Oners no longer impress me after True Detective season 1

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 8:59 pm 
Production Police

Mecca wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

Oners no longer impress me after True Detective season 1

Yeah that’s still the best

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 11:10 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

Barry getting into and out of the car with the guns strapped to his back. That is all.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 385 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment