The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Iron Fist (Netflix)
PostPosted: Sun March 19, 2017 5:09 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

finished it.

as i said, i really liked the choreography of all the shows but this one is only behind both DDs.

they did a nice job on fleshing out the participants. joy and ward were very solid supporting characters and actors and at no point did they feel like they were just there, but that they played major points in the story and the character build up of danny (from joys initial disbelief to her full on wrapping her arms around him to wards denial to his acceptance)

coleen was the curve ball and how they handled her training and her history. training i knew of but the history part was out of left field i never saw coming.

madam gao was as always very well played and though she shows it in brief spurts, her apparent age does not show truly how powerful she is. while nefarious she does live by a certain honor

claire is obviously the one in the netflix universe that shows things from a regular human perspective. she basically utters every single thing that would run through your head if any of these people were your friends.

bakuto made for a great villain but something tells me although her and gao were on opposite sides with what was going on and still to come in defenders they will meet up together agin.

overall i thought the story and pacing was well done. just as you thought you had something figured out something would happen to take it to a new direction. another thing i liked is how the major players all evolved throughout the series except for danny who stayed his course.

overall if DD is a solid 10 ill give this a 7.5

PostPosted: Sun March 19, 2017 9:08 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

@SkitchP wrote:
stip wrote:
I'm 7 in and while this moves more slowly than the other shows, it also doesnt feel like it is stalling (though that may be coming)

I watched and really enjoyed the Daredevil seasons and Jessica Jones... but it's REALLY damning if this is moving more slowly.

I'm at episode 6, and I've only just STARTED to understand what is motivating Danny.

PostPosted: Sun March 19, 2017 11:16 pm 
The worst

Pretty much, but it hasn't yet felt like it was spinning its wheels. all the other shows have that to a certain extent. This is just really leisurely.

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Mon March 20, 2017 12:59 am 
Rank This Poster

On ep 5 and I like this a lot so far.. I'm convinced this was bashed solely because an Asian wasn't cast as Danny

I'm not saying it's the greatest thing marvel ever done but I think it's pretty neat.. I'm not sure where I'd rank it among marvel netflix

PostPosted: Mon March 20, 2017 1:27 am 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

i got bugs wrote:
On ep 5 and I like this a lot so far.. I'm convinced this was bashed solely because an Asian wasn't cast as Danny

I'm not saying it's the greatest thing marvel ever done but I think it's pretty neat.. I'm not sure where I'd rank it among marvel netflix

Is he Asian in the comics?

PostPosted: Mon March 20, 2017 3:16 am 
Rank This Poster

No that's why that whole thing confused me

PostPosted: Mon March 20, 2017 2:00 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

there were a lot of people bitching he wasnt asian

Iron fist was created back in the 70s when bruce lee was very popular.

these things are damned if you do damned if you dont

keep the character the same as the comics (iron fist)- people bitch
change the charcater from the comics (human torch) - people bitch

PostPosted: Mon March 20, 2017 5:58 pm 
The worst

probably the issue was more that the Iron Fist character is a little problematic for elements of today's sensibilities, rather than choices they made with him per se. They probably should have just chosen someone else for a 4th defender.

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Mon March 20, 2017 8:41 pm 
mXn

Someone has to say it: This looks truly awful.

PostPosted: Mon March 20, 2017 9:31 pm 
Rank This Poster

I don't see why people don't just stick with the source material.. I guess if you're a director and there's an actor that fits your mold and isn't the same color, well OK cast him, but it only works for certain characters.. given the backstory, I guess Asian works.. but to change the ethnicity completely just to be diverse is lazy.... the guy they cast is really good for the part..

That said, speaking of Asians, Colleen wing is smoking

PostPosted: Mon March 20, 2017 9:34 pm 
Rank This Poster

About the show.. 5 eps in and I really like it a lot

Probably not gonna click on this for a while for fear of spoliers

PostPosted: Tue March 21, 2017 12:40 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

I feel like this series is missing the feeling of dread that the other shows had. The other Defenders were pushed and beaten to the brink of death or total mental destruction. Danny barely takes a hit. He's got billions of dollars at his disposal. I'm going into the finale with very little fear that the world is closing in on him.

Also, why does The Iron Fist use the iron fist so little? I get that in a few episodes his personal identity struggle is making it hard to balance his chi, but in 13 episodes he uses that shit, what?, 7 times? I want to see him fuck some shit up.

PostPosted: Tue March 21, 2017 1:10 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Also, with respect to Danny not being Asian. His whiteness is critical to the character, isn't it? If he had been Asian, he never would have abandoned Kun Lao and come to New York.

PostPosted: Tue March 21, 2017 2:21 pm 
Future Drummer

I haven't finished the series, nor have I read much about Iron Fist, but my take on him has always been he's got an easy life. No drama no trauma. Kind of like Warren Worthington (Angel) before they ripped his wings off and Apocalypse turned him into Archangel.

PostPosted: Tue March 21, 2017 2:40 pm 
Major Dude

doone wrote:
I haven't finished the series, nor have I read much about Iron Fist, but my take on him has always been he's got an easy life. No drama no trauma. Kind of like Warren Worthington (Angel) before they ripped his wings off and Apocalypse turned him into Archangel.

Not really. When he was created, his sole purpose for training and becoming the Iron fist was getting revenge on Meachum for killing his father.

PostPosted: Tue March 21, 2017 2:44 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

I wanted this guy. Where was this guy?

Spoiler: show
When he hit the floor in the finale and fucked shit up, that was pretty cool. We need a LOT more of that.

PostPosted: Tue March 21, 2017 5:03 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

B wrote:
Also, with respect to Danny not being Asian. His whiteness is critical to the character, isn't it? If he had been Asian, he never would have abandoned Kun Lao and come to New York.

Wait... why

PostPosted: Tue March 21, 2017 7:18 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

theplatypus wrote:
B wrote:

Wait... why

I guess not Asian broadly. I am assuming that you'd cast an Asian actor because Kun Lao is in Asia. If he had been raised from birth in the culture of Kun Lao he wouldn't have left. The whole reason he ditched his duty was because he had been raised in New York and was already established in his mind as "Danny Rand." That identity muddled with his identity of The Iron Fist, causing him to desert his post.

PostPosted: Tue March 21, 2017 7:21 pm 
Major Dude

theplatypus wrote:
B wrote:

Wait... why

The whole arc in his creation was that he was this "fish out of water". He was 10 years old when he was taken into K'un Lun and the only white guy there. Then, after 10 years of learning their ways and becoming one of them he leaves for New York, and is once again a "fish out of water." The whole idea that he is constantly out of his element was central to the character. If you make him Asian, that immediately goes away.

PostPosted: Tue March 21, 2017 7:27 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

I'm not arguing that he should've been Asian, just found B's "if he was Asian he wouldn't have returned to New York" comment strange.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment