The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Legos
PostPosted: Fri June 12, 2015 5:23 pm 
Future Drummer

I have recently been exploring Legos with my 3 year old. He's not quite there yet, but I'm enjoying it!

Any suggestions for a 3 yo boy's early Lego program?

PostPosted: Fri June 12, 2015 5:54 pm 
RM Elitist

hlniv wrote:
I have recently been exploring Legos with my 3 year old. He's not quite there yet, but I'm enjoying it!

avoid them.

$

PostPosted: Fri June 12, 2015 6:08 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

My daughter is super into those big Duplo blocks.

PostPosted: Fri June 12, 2015 6:21 pm 
Poster of the Year

hlniv wrote:

Just get one of those lego starter sets with a bunch of blocks in it but nothing specific to build and let him go nuts with it.

That's what I got my nephew when he was about that age and he loved it.

PostPosted: Sun July 19, 2015 12:38 pm 
RM Elitist

So I have been holding off on the stupid Death Star for over a year now because of the price. Then I read wednesday night, elsewhere on the internet that it was finally End of Line'd.

So I checked the Lego site, target, walmart, toys R us, etc.. and all listed it as sold out. Amazon had it above "retail" So I might have panicked and drove to the lego store and bought it.

and I haven't had a chance to start building it yet. I checked amazon and the price has shot up $140 in 3 days and now I don't know if i want to build it, or hold on to it and sell it :/

PostPosted: Sun July 19, 2015 6:06 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

@SkitchP wrote:
So I have been holding off on the stupid Death Star for over a year now because of the price. Then I read wednesday night, elsewhere on the internet that it was finally End of Line'd.

So I checked the Lego site, target, walmart, toys R us, etc.. and all listed it as sold out. Amazon had it above "retail" So I might have panicked and drove to the lego store and bought it.

and I haven't had a chance to start building it yet. I checked amazon and the price has shot up $140 in 3 days and now I don't know if i want to build it, or hold on to it and sell it :/

We should flip those homicide dvds I got and buy another one

PostPosted: Sun July 19, 2015 6:07 pm 
RM Elitist

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
@SkitchP wrote:

We should flip those homicide dvds I got and buy another one

Man, those are priceless.

PostPosted: Mon July 20, 2015 2:41 am 
Posting (live)

hlniv wrote:

Hey man. My boy has played duplo from 1 yr and has just turned 4 so we got him some Lego Junior. He's fucking hooked and it's like crack. He keeps asking for more.

The plus side is he plays by himself for more than a minute now. The bad side is the constant asking for more and his 1 yr old sister can't join in. But she has his old duplo.

He has these and is crazy about the spiderman helicopter
Spoiler: show

the good duplo were
Spoiler: show

PostPosted: Mon July 20, 2015 2:50 am 
Mind Your Tanners

I bought this for my unborn...

PostPosted: Mon July 20, 2015 2:52 am 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed August 26, 2015 11:18 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Just bought this.

Can't wait to start the build

PostPosted: Wed August 26, 2015 11:56 pm 
Rank This Poster

Rangi Guy wrote:
Just bought this.

My 6 year old daughter is starting to ask for stuff like this at the store. I will cave eventually.

PostPosted: Thu August 27, 2015 12:15 am 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

BigRedLedbetter wrote:
Rangi Guy wrote:
Just bought this.

My 6 year old daughter is starting to ask for stuff like this at the store. I will cave eventually.

Sets like that or Legos in general? because there are tons of sets that start at age 5. But my kids usually build sets for kids a couple of years older than they are.

PostPosted: Sat August 29, 2015 4:23 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

B wrote:

Seven of these bins are full to the brim, and they never stop asking for Lego. :cry:

And stip, you're right. A lot of big set purchases are driven solely by the need to collect that one minifigure. Lego has capitalized on licensing way more than they ever could have when their patent was in effect.

I wanted to show off the organized Legos.

PostPosted: Wed October 21, 2015 3:37 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Not good news for Skitch and B...

Quote:
Lego won't have enough bricks for everyone this Christmas

It turns out not everything is awesome for Lego.
The Danish toymaker will run short of bricks this Christmas, meaning it won't be able to make enough toys during the peak holiday shopping season.

"We will not be able to deliver all of the new orders coming from customers in the remainder of the year in some markets in Europe," Lego spokesman Roar Trangbaek said.
He did not specify which countries face a shortage.
Lego has been popular for years but its business really took off following the success of The Lego Movie.
Sales grew 18% in the first half of 2015, following 15% growth in 2014.
But the toymaker now admits it is struggling to cope with the surge in demand for its colorful stackable bricks.
"The high demand also puts a strain on our factories around the world," Lego CFO John Goodwin said in a statement.
Related: Lego puts big bucks behind push to go green
To try to ease the bottleneck, Lego is expanding its factories in Mexico, Hungary and Denmark. But the new capacity won't be available until 2020.
The family-owned business became the biggest toymaker in the world in terms of revenue and profit in 2014, beating its rival Mattel (MAT).
The company made 60 billion Lego pieces last year. Its sales across Europe, the Americas and Asia grew strongly thanks to the success of The Lego Movie.
Lego Group has roughly 12,000 employees and is still owned by the Kirk Kristiansen family that founded it in 1932.
Related: Brick by brick, Lego builds top 100 brand
CNNMoney (London) October 21, 2015: 11:15 AM ET

http://money.cnn.com/2015/10/21/news/co ... -stack-dom

PostPosted: Wed October 21, 2015 3:45 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

E.H. Ruddock wrote:

Quote:
"We will not be able to deliver all of the new orders coming from customers in the remainder of the year in some markets in Europe," Lego spokesman Roar Trangbaek said.

Classic B and Skitch, moving to Europe without telling anyone!

PostPosted: Wed October 21, 2015 3:50 pm 

Simple Torture wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:

Quote:

Classic B and Skitch, moving to Europe without telling anyone!

Well, I GUESS I DIDN'T READ THE WHOLE ARTICLE.

PostPosted: Fri January 08, 2016 2:58 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

http://www.wnyc.org/story/more-creative-lego/

Quote:
This week, we're re-airing an episode that might make you think twice before buying that LEGO kit gift for the kid in your life. As we learned, sticking with the classic big bins of non-themed bricks can help kids' creativity, as well as adults'. According to research by business professors Page Moreau and Marit Gundersen Engset, "free-building" from a pile of mismatched LEGO enhances creativity, while working from a pre-designed kit hinders it. That's not to say working with a kit is necessarily a bad thing – it just prompts your brain to work more methodically, rather than imaginatively.That's why the free-building vs. kit-based approaches to LEGO and beyond are important: Whether you're making a wild creation out of little toy bricks or making a meal from a ready-to-cook kit, following a set of step-by-step directions will affect your thought processes.

We got tons of feedback from listeners last time around. But perhaps the most enthusiastic response came from Robin Corry in St. Paul, Minnesota, who has a dedicated "LEGO Room" in his house where his two sons can play. Robin stores the LEGO in a bag and dumps them all out on the ground when it's time to get building. Rather than buy his sons pre-made LEGO kits, Robin makes his own, sorting bricks by color or shape into Ziploc bags and instructing them to make something with them.

PostPosted: Fri January 08, 2016 3:40 pm 

Yeah but nothing ever looks as good when you let kids free build. It always looks stupid.

PostPosted: Fri January 08, 2016 10:23 pm 
Posting (live)

Both ways are important. We always do to the instructions first then it goes in a big bucket for free play.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment